“Nice but not great”

Crimson Resort and Spa, Mactan
Ranked #4 of 32 Hotels in Lapu Lapu
Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

Cebu seems to be visited by 75% Koreans - not that there is anything wrong with this, just be warned of the huge tourist groups/families. The bad: Check in was very slow, whatever system they were using seemed pretty dated. The pool and lounge areas are nice, but get there early if you want to secure a spot. Food selection was so-so. Mix of local, western, and Korean: none of which was particularly amazing, just ok. (Being that I'm Korean American gives me credibility to 2 of out 3!) The good: amazing service, everyone is so friendly and helpful. Great poolside massages and car service. One of our drivers ended up taking us around to tourist sites that we didn't even have in our plans. I would highly suggest this vs. any tour guide. Better for families and groups than couples. Overall a fun stay but think I'd choose to pay a little more for the Shangri-La next time, only for the better buffet spread.

• Stayed: September 2013
GMCrimsonMactan, General Manager at Crimson Resort and Spa, Mactan, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2013

My team and I are grateful that you took the time to share your experience with us. As we value all our guests’ feedback in our efforts to continuously improve our facilities, food and services.

Thank you for appreciating the efforts of my team in providing you with amazing service during your stay. I am glad that you found them friendly and helpful.

Rest assured, I have noted your comments regarding our food which you found so-so. Our Executive Chef has taken your feedback as a challenge to further improve the quality of food we offer in our outlets. The next time you visit you will find additional dishes on our menu that will surely whet your palate. As for the delay in check-in, our Front Office Manager has taken it upon himself to re-train his team to ensure a timely check-in for all our guests.

Again, we thank you for review and we look forward to welcoming you back to our resort soon.

There are newer reviews for Crimson Resort and Spa, Mactan

Reviewed September 24, 2013

The first night I could't sleep and woke up very early. I discovered that the bed had been invaded by ants, which had been swarming all over me during the night. The hotel moved me to another room and just as I got back to sleep, a manager called to apologize and to say that he would recommend some kind of compensation from senior management. I never heard from them again.

The (very small) beach is so rocky as to be almost unusable without swimming shoes. The swimming pool is very shallow and always crowded.

There is only one restaurant - a pretty basic hotel coffee shop/buffet, although it does have kimchi at all three meals - the hotel customers seem about 60% Korean. Overpriced wine and poor selection of beer - only lagers, no dark beers, ales or stouts. We ate out a lot.

Room Tip: Not on the ground floor.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TravelerFromTokyo
GMCrimsonMactan, General Manager at Crimson Resort and Spa, Mactan, responded to this reviewResponded October 20, 2013

Thank you for your very honest review. Although, I regret that we have fallen short of your expectations, I am still glad because with your comments we now have the opportunity to further improve the services we offer.

Also, I have noted all your concerns and we have asked our pest control provider to assist us with the ants to avoid similar incident from happening to other guests. I apologize that we were not able to address your concern to your satisfaction and hope that you were still able to take back wonderful memories of your stay with us.

Once again, thank you very much and please accept my sincerest apologies. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to make it up to you on your next visit to our resort.

Reviewed September 22, 2013

world class resort with very efficient management and staff:) kudos to Mia who explained the events Krista who made our breakfast chat enjoyable and Madz who personally attended to us during check in -- highly recommended ! The food at tempo and saffron cafe are delectable. The beachfront awesome. The pool is cool!

• Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank Vincci1111
GMCrimsonMactan, General Manager at Crimson Resort and Spa, Mactan, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2013

My team and I are extremely delighted that you think we are a world class resort. We are also grateful that you commended our management and staff for being efficient. I have shared your excellent comments with Mia, Krista, and Madz they are all ecstatic that you have written their names in your review.

I am glad that apart from the services you received you also enjoyed our food, pool and beach front which you said is awesome.

Thank you very much for such a generous review and we look forward to welcoming you back to our resort soon.

Reviewed September 21, 2013

As profession requires my hubby got to travel every now and then. He had a business meeting in Cebu early this September and just like any other half, I opted to go with him.. We have been to Cebu for several times but it was only during this stay that we discovered exquisite beauty resting in the island of Mactan.

We were supposed to be in a business trip but Crimson really did a very magnificent job that they converted it to a splendid " second honeymoon" stay.

We arrived early in the morning though we knew that their standard check in time is 3pm. It was so amazing that their front desk staff made an extra effort to give us our room earlier than expected. We were offered a room upsell which we gratefully took advantage with. It actually a chance to stay in a greater room category for a much affordable amount. We really appreciate how their staff looked after our satisfaction by upselling us to another room. We booked a standard room but was upsold to their ocean front villa.

At their cozy lobby, we got to taste their welcome drink which I could say is one of their edge among any other hotels. Their front desk staff was so accommodating that we were even given a joy ride of their elegant cart in our way to the villas. Upon reaching our villa,we felt like holding our breath in more than a second for the room was a taste of heaven. Imagine in that small amount of money that we paid extra on top of our room rate gave us the meaning of LUXURY. Their villas are so charming that we wished to own one of them the soonest. In the morning, we are fascinated by the unlimited luxury of sunshine over the ocean view. Oh, that must be heaven then.!!! Their villas are perfect for couples that made this business trip bloom into a romantic vacation for us.

Crimson is indeed an epitome of Filipino culture and tradition. Their furnitures make me proud as Pinoy since they are all made and designed by a fellow Filipino citizen. We were greeted everywhere which makes me remind of how hospitable we Filipinos are.

Truly, Crimson has become our home in Cebu. We will surely be back for more noteworthy experiences. And thank you will never suffice the locked out of heaven experience we had in a two night- three night with you..

Kudos Crimson!!May you continue bringing joy and customer satisfaction beyond expectation. Impeccable!!

Room Tip: Their villas are so worth the value you pay..If you want heaven on your hand,then try it NOW!!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your recent experience while staying at Crimson Resort and Spa. We sincerely value your comments in our continuous effort to provide friendly and efficient service.

My team and I are thrilled to read such a wonderful review. Your excellent comments about our services and facilities inspired us to continually look for ways to further delight all our guests.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we hope to welcome you again to our resort in the not too distant future.

Reviewed September 21, 2013

I went with my wife. It was nice escape from usual days. Villa hosts are very nice to organize our trip:) nice services. My wife really enjoyed bar which came with package. It was nice if main pool is bit more deeper... But I recon for vacation. Noriki&Mina

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
GMCrimsonMactan, General Manager at Crimson Resort and Spa, Mactan, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2013

I am glad that our resort has provided you and your wife an escape from your usual routine. I am also delighted that your wife enjoyed the promotions offered in our bars. I hope that you and your wife now have lots of wonderful memories of your stay with us.

I have passed along your excellent comments about our villa hosts to the rest of our team to inspire them to work even harder in ensuring our standards are always met.

Thank you very much for your heart warming review and we look forward to your next visit to our resort.

Reviewed September 20, 2013

We stayed in one of the Deluxe Garden Rooms. The grounds are lovely and well maintained. Felt like a small village, very peaceful and quiet all the time (villas/rooms side) even though there were lots of guests.

The room was OK. There's a table with the TV directly opposite the bed. As another reviewer mentioned, it is a bit of a bother if you're a party of two and one person would like to sit at the table, cause then you obstruct the other person's view of the telly. I had an issue with the shower as there's no door so you always get the outside bathroom floor wet despite there being a towel mat..... and I hate that!! The water pressure of the shower head is horrendous....use the rain shower.

Didn't understand the whole concept of the 'food waiver', this is the ONLY hotel I've ever been to where bringing in food from outside is an issue. Basically, if you bring in food purchased from outside the hotel, you have to sign a waiver that absolves the hotel from any blame should anything happen to you post-consumption. Weird!!! Think they're worried about someone getting food poisoning and coming after them.

The buffet at mealtimes was lovely. Lots to choose from, korean (lots of guests from there), western and filipino delicacies....the desserts are sooo tempting!! Our only worry is that a lot of food....a whole lot...goes to waste. Whatever's not eaten by the guests goes directly to the bin. And they do make A LOT of food. We took this up with the manager Cedric and he said plans are underway to work with some charities to reduce wastage. Hope he keeps his word. Kudos to the waiters/waitresses, lovely bunch......look out for our friend Rahymond!! (unfortunately it's been 2 wks since our visit and I can only remember his name cause it's unique - Raymond with a H).

Location..not too good. It's way out of town and you're advised not to venture beyond the hotel on your own, however they do run a shuttle bus to and from one of the major malls in town on a schedule.

All the staff are very cordial and friendly.Their 3 in 1 pool, depth of 2m, 4m and 8m (i think it was) is great for everyone. Toddlers/youngsters/non swimmers who are yet to earn their fins and confirmed swimmers. Even for adult non swimmers, this last pool is not too deep that you have to tread water (I'm 168cm/5ft6). They have activities all day long and there's a list of what's on for the day at your door each morning before you arise. The morning I spent poolside, watched a session of aqua aerobics and aqua basketball. They have a nice play room for kids, gym, sports bar where we played pool (there's darts as well). Their little beach didn't impress me, but at night it was nice to lay in the loungers and relax with the adjacent bar music in the background. I noticed most people during the day prefer to hang around the pool and bask/read/hang out as compared to the "beach". There's also snorkeling and jet skiing.

It's a nice hotel for families, there's something for everyone to do.....it's big enough for everyone yet small enough when you need that almost individualised service with a smile, peace and quiet. We had a peek at the Imperial Palace nearby and it was too big a hotel with people all over the place and guests have to wear colour coded bracelets!! (Yep! We couldn't even just chill out at the beach for an hour as we waited to board the Yellow Submarine and were advised to go back to reception - a 5 minute walk according to me - and get one!!!)

Would we go back....definately!!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for sharing your comments on TripAdvisor. As it is always a delight to read the feedback coming from our guests.

I would like to address some of the concerns you have raised, one is our shower area, rest assured that due to several comments we received from previous guests we are already working on attaching doors to the shower area in our guest rooms. The other is our food waiver, as we do not encourage our guests to bring food from outside the resort since we could not guarantee the quality of the food prepared elsewhere. However, in our effort to accommodate the requests of our guests we have implemented the waiver. This is simply a precaution and also to remind guests to be careful with the food they bring in.

We are truly grateful that you have enjoyed your stay in our resort as well as ecstatic that you appreciated the efforts of our team members especially, your friend, Raymond.

Again, we thank you for all your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back to our resort in the not too distant future.

Reviewed September 19, 2013

I have been stayed at the Crimson Resort and Spa for over a month and everyday I was proud to be staying at the Crimson where the personal touches remind me of home. The Crimson Resort Employees I come in contact with everyday always make me feel very special and make the Resort feel like home.

My co-workers and I visited SM Mall and stopped at a coffee shop and we noticed that their employees were not very nice and not friendly at all. We both looked at eachother and stated that we wish we were back at Crimson where the employees are always smiling and very friendly (once the shuttle arrived from our long day out we were greeted by Crimson greeters with cups of tea welcoming us back).

As a trainer in customer service we are committed to delivering World Class Service and known for Employing great employees who deliver Excellent Service I also want to take this time to recognize some of the people who have made my stay very memorable by delivering World Class Customer Service from your General Manager (James), Customer Service Manager, Madeline (Maddie), Emmanuel, JR, Edmund, Raymond, Cyrus, Renan, Don, Ryan to the Gardners.

Lots of personalized service such as cold citrus wet towel, citrus tea upon arriving, eucaliptus hand washing, fresh flowers with daily activities, pastry treats during turn down, cocktail hour, towel creations, the wait staff remembered my favorite drink also fresh squeezed pineapple/orange juice in the tempo room for breakfast. The hotel staff even treated our business group to a SParty at Aum Spa which was AMAZING and very relaxing.

KUDOS to all at Crimson Resort & Spa for making my stay very memorable.

Room Tip: The bed in the Deluxe Garden rooms are very comfortable
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business

Let me start by saying, what an absolute pleasure it was to have you in our resort. We are humbled by your comment that we provide world class service. I am simply proud that my team can compete with the rest of the world and based on what you said, we can hold our own.

We are truly grateful for your wonderful review which will serve as fuel that will renew the enthusiasm of my team to continually deliver excellent customer service. I hope that more guests will be as generous with their comments.

Furthermore, we are all happy that you appreciate our services and even went as far as mentioning the names of the team members who stood out. Rest assured I will take note of each one.

Thank you for your outstanding review and we look forward to your next visit to our resort.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lapu Lapu
#1 of 91 in Cebu City
BE Resort, Mactan
BE Resort, Mactan
#12 of 32 in Lapu Lapu

Been to Crimson Resort and Spa, Mactan? Share your experiences!