“Over priced, over rated” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Crimson Resort and Spa, Mactan

Crimson Resort and Spa, Mactan
Ranked #4 of 30 Hotels in Lapu Lapu
Hervey Bay, Queensland, Australia
“Over priced, over rated”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2012

Not overly impressed by this resort, reception staff not very helpful, my partner and I ended up with a twin room with 2 single beds as the queen room we booked and paid for was not ready mid afternoon. The fact that the room had only single beds was not clearly explained. No reduction or compensation was offered. The breakfast in the dining room was very good with a large selection of foods. The "beach" was horrific, imported sand over sharp rocks which looked good to the water line. The facilities were good, great safe place for families, not so crash hot for a romantic weekend with your lover.

Room Tip: Make sure you get what you paid for
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank David C
GMCrimsonMactan, General Manager at Crimson Resort and Spa, Mactan, responded to this review, June 4, 2012
Dear David C,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your recent experience while staying at Crimson Resort and Spa. We sincerely value your comments in our continuous effort to provide friendly and efficient service.

I have noted your comments regarding your room which I have shared with my colleagues. I express regret at your dissatisfaction with being given a room with two single beds instead of a king size bed. I have relayed this to the concerned Manager who will endeavor to be more vigilant in providing our guests with the rooms originally requested.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you again to our hotel in the not too distant future.

JAMES MONTENEGRO

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (337)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Bacolod, Bacolod, Philippines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2012

my family together with my inlaws spent 3 days 2 nights in crimson, it was breathtaking experience, all in one roof, the beach was great, pool was great, it is a kid friendly resort, the prices of the food are so worth it and they have big serving, one thing about crimson is service. they have great customer service everything you need they can provide.=) would come back again

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GMCrimsonMactan, General Manager at Crimson Resort and Spa, Mactan, responded to this review, May 10, 2012
Dear Keziah_0429,

I am pleased to hear that you and your family have enjoyed your stay at our resort. Your excellent comments about the hotel’s food, services and facilities will be passed on to my colleagues who will strive even harder in delivering great customer service.

Marikina, Philippines
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2012

My friends and I stayed at Crimson last February 8-10 (late post) and we loved every minute of it. The service was excellent! :-D From the receptionist who checked us in, the concierge who brought our bags to our room (we took a ride on a larger version of a golf cart), the staff who always asks us if they could assist taking our photos, to the guy from the fitness center, our yoga teacher and to the attentive servers at Saffron Cafe and Azure Pool Bar. Sorry I forgot their names but all of them were very proactive and accommodating. Loved the scheduled daily activities like snorkeling, fish feeding and Yoga which are complimentary for in house guests :-). Buffet breakfast was very good as well. I also loved their cake slices from the Pastry shop at discounted rate in the evenings paired with Iced coffee at Azure Pool Bar. Although the beach was a bit small, the excellent service by everyone and the the overall feel of the place made up for it. Will definitely come back to this hotel. :-)

Room Tip: Request for a room near the beach and swimming pool.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GMCrimsonMactan, General Manager at Crimson Resort and Spa, Mactan, responded to this review, May 9, 2012
Dear Juju0417,

My team and I are delighted that you enjoyed the various activities of our resort. Your good comments about the hotel’s food, services and facilities will serve as an inspiration and we will all strive even harder to provide excellent service to all our guests.

Manila, Philippines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2012

Since all other Mactan hotel choices were booked, my husband and I decided to give Crimson a shot. I wasn't expecting much looking at the pictures on their website but arriving there..they exceeded my expectations. We apparently were assigned a butler named Ritchie who picked us up at the airport and made sure we were cared for like VIPs. From his volunteering to chill our champagne, escorting us to the lounge for complimentary cocktails and having them extend it a little it since we had a few minutes left, to making sure our room was clean when we got back from breakfast, the beach or from dinner. ..he made our stay extra special. Unlike the Shang where we regularly stay when we are in Cebu, Crimson has spacious ocean facing villas with a private plunge pool and it's affordable! We loved our room, the view when we woke up in the morning, the option it gave us when we got tired of the beach and wanted privacy we could hang out in the plunge pool. This room will now be our new vacation default whenever we feel like relaxing. The whole hotel reminds me of a mini Bali hotel with it's huge main pool, views, attentive service and brown sanded beach. A couple of things they have to work on: buffet breakfast - small and the items are not as exciting as Shang buffet and they should clean their stations more often as it does not make for god ambiance to see stacked dirty dishes while having a relaxing breakfast. It would also be nice if they had a specially restaurant instead of a sports bar. Maybe Chinese or italian -then we wouldnt need to leave the resort. Also if waitstaff can be trained to give the consistent experience when dining and rather than say "no we have no more Danggit" can say let me see what I can do. As for the spa, the massage was great.sadly though my husbands headrest was too low and could not be fixed in the beginning of the massage but was fixed midway so he only enjoyed part of it. All in all Crimson has huge potential to rival Shang it just needs to provide a more consistent VIP experience to it's guests.

Room Tip: We loved room 508 and 507 as these were quiet and away from the crowd at the same time had fantastic...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear DharmaHMC,

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. Even more so, that our butler Ritchie had made your stay extra special. I will be sharing your comments with him. I have also noted your suggestions as we are constantly looking for ways to further improve our services and facilities.

philippines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2012

Stayed there with my husband and 13 yr old son last April 21-23. The resort was teeming with tourists. There were few locals aside from us. I think the resort had the monied tourists particularly the Koreans as their market. The villas n rooms had a Korean touch as seen in the roofs of the complex.

Service is impeccable. Downside is the very expensive priced food in the outlets. It is obvious people stay away from eating there because it's quite prohibitive especially if you know it's overpriced. Even the spa ( which is nicely done especially the wet floors because it's outdoor) is quite expensive when the treatment is forgettable anyway. There were not much people when we were there. Where were the people then? The breakfast outlet was full! I think they took a cab and went on a 30 min ride to the city.

The pool was great but there was hardly any beach to speak off. One should book a boat to take you to nearby island for the white beach and marine sanctuary. Management should do something about making the beach more usable like the nearby shangrila. It's rate is not so far from crimson anyway but it has the beach and big pool area.

• Stayed April 2012
3 Thank isayqc
Dear Isayqc,

I have noted your comments with regards to the hotel’s food and spa prices which I have shared with my colleagues. I express regret at your dissatisfaction with our beach area. Rest assured that we are constantly looking for ways to further improve on these areas.

Manila
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2012

We stayed at the Crimson during our April 2012 Holy Week holidays. Airport transfers were prompt. We were early so our private villa was not yet available, a private butler toured us around Crimson and informed us about all the available services of Crimson.

Breakfast for all Villa residents are separate at the 2nd Floor Tea Room, with wide selection of good food. Service was very good here.

I like Crimson, its more compact and the swimming pools, beach and spa areas are within easy reach from the private Villas. They also have playground for kids. Service is fast and unassuming. Private Villas have 3 big LCD's, one located at the living room, bedroom and near the bathtub. Reserve your DVD movies in advance, so you get to watch your favorite movies. Room is spacious, Beds are very comfortable, Plunge Pool is clean and water warm. Umbrellas are easily available from all areas. Swimming pool is deepest at 4 feet only. Massage service at the AUM is good but not excellent. They need additional training techniques. The AUM spa has very good amenities.

The beach area, although man made, is picturesque. And sea is clean and little fish can be found near the rocky area. Many beach amenities can be availed of with additional fees.
We had a very relaxing holiday, and we would definitely recommend Crimson to our friends. I will advise to avail of promo packages with private villa and free massage, breakfast and hotel transfer inclusive.

Points for improvement:
Beside Bed, there should be a central switch to control the lights, so you don't have to get out from the bed, just to close the lights. There are ants on the mini kitchen area. The design of the bathroom door makes it close and open loudly. Wifi in room is not very fast. Should provide more accessible electrical sockets for charging gadgets. Sockets are usually located near the floor at the back of the side table, which are hard to get areas. The free transfers to Cebu City should still be available even if it is holy week holiday.

Room Tip: The Private Villas have their own plunge pool, You don't have to get those that are facing the s...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Dear Nomadgirl Manila,

I am pleased to hear that you have enjoyed your stay and, with great pleasure, your good comments about the hotel’s food, services and facilities will be passed on to my colleagues. I have also noted your suggestion regarding a central switch to control the lights. We will look into the feasibility of installing such controls in our future renovation plans.

Durham, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2012

I actually wanted to give it a 3.5 star but no such option. I think it will be a 3 for some travelers and a 4 for some others. I went down to Cebu for some other business so I am kind OK with it.

First, they have a good pool and great view when you walk in the lobby (can see the pool and beach). Their private beach is okay but kind of small. Often times the beach chairs are packed, and you dont get to do a whole lot water activity (or only on a smaller scale). I did enjoy the sunshine and water (both the sea and the pool) in the morning before I head out. But there's not much you can do after the pool closed at 9 pm (beach at 5 pm). The resort is quite distant to everything else, and you will need to call cab (with 50 PHP surcharge) every time. Not so much buzz around and it takes 20-30 mins to the airport, which probably means another 40 mins to Cebu City. I think it's good for couple or family with children that you'd like to spend some quiet time.

Check in took forever as they only have 2 counters and tons of people arrive around noon. My room was not ready until 2 pm. Had to dine in their restaurant and wait first. Staffs are great and polite though.

I stayed in a deluxe room, which is okay. Clean but nothing special. Not feeling like in a luxury resort but a regular hotel room. The toiletries are not from good brand or from their SPA, feel quite chemical. But it has everything and it's clean.

For the restaurant, the food is OK. Recommend a la carte as the buffet does not worth it. I like the feeling of Azure by the beach. But all food is quite pricy. Again unless you rent a car you can go out to the market to buy some roasted chicken or something else, you don't have many other options. The SPA is good but also on the expensive end.

It's fairly decent for a couple days of stay as it's much cheaper than Shangrila. But it's not a good base if you wanna stay longer and looking for some happening. Not the best option if you are doing island hopping as well.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear Richardcjy,

I have noted your comments with regards to the hotel’s food and facilities which I have also shared with my colleagues. This will help us greatly as we are constantly looking for ways to further improve our facilities and services.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lapu Lapu
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,983 reviews
Be Resorts - Mactan
Be Resorts - Mactan
#16 of 30 in Lapu Lapu

Been to Crimson Resort and Spa, Mactan? Share your experiences!