“Good Hotel, small beach”

Crimson Resort and Spa, Mactan
Ranked #4 of 30 Hotels in Lapu Lapu
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Good Hotel, small beach”
Reviewed September 18, 2011

Beautiful main lobby and pool. The architecture is really lovely. The beach is too small and rocky (which is typical of beaches in mactan anyway) but it was still great to just lounge around under the sun in their lounge chairs. I stayed during one of the long weekend holidays and while staff were very helpful and friendly it was obvious that the hotel wasn't prepared for full occupancy. They ran out of beach towels and the breakfast buffet queue was so long. The food was kind of an eclectic fusion of western, filipino and korean food probably to cater to all the clients. Food was ok although they ran out of maple syrup for the pancakes much to the dismay of one guest. In room dining was so overpriced. A plate of pancit for 550 pesos!

The rooms were spacious, the bathrooms were lovely. The toiletries were okay but too ordinary. We had an extra person in our room and it took them a while to sort the extra bed out which was a bit hard and lumpy.

There is a free shuttle service (pre booking needed) to cebu city town which is great since transportation to and from the hotel to the city can be costly.

Room Tip: get a room that is on the ground floor since there are no elevators.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
97 Thank RunnerJaime
GMCrimsonMactan, General Manager at Crimson Resort and Spa, Mactan, responded to this review, September 20, 2011
Dear Hazelmelanie,

Thank you for taking the time to write down your comments and observations over the busy long weekend last month. Your comments on the towels and breakfast cue at that time are quite true and we have ordered more towels which should be delivered shortly and we are going to open our Tempo Lounge for breakfast during these peak periods to avoid the long lines.

We are also working on the beach, however it is really only at the lowest tide that there are rocks and only during the wet season as the tides pull out the sand. We will be moving some sand around but we are trying to do it as "Green" as possible to not affect the sea life and reef in front of the hotel.

I'm glad you enjoyed the rooms, the beach and your stay. I look forward to meeting you if you decide to come back.

Winston Hanes

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (357)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Manila
Reviewed September 15, 2011

A friend told me that Crimson is the "smaller" one of the big resorts in Cebu but that is exactly what I liked about it. Being smaller makes it more suited for privacy and intimacy and yet not missing the most amazing views this side of Mactan, Cebu. I liked the fact that our villa was just a short walk to the main lobby, the pool and the restaurants. Otherwise, a golf cart is always on call and available.

I loved our room the first time I saw it because it was modern and yet fitted with the most amazing local furniture. I couldn't help but take pictures because our room in Crimson was exactly what I would like if we had a house in the countryside. The same elegant look pervades throughout the hotel. Cebu has a lot of artisan craftsmen adept in woodwork and furniture making and am glad that Crimson Resort showcased it to the best advantage. The interiors of the hotel is good enough for a magazine.

As for the food, our garden view room came with free buffet breakfast. The selections were not overflowing unlike the hotels in Manila but I have no complaints about this. Cap your visit with a signature massage at the in-house Aum Spa...it's quite unforgettable!

120 Thank bloggurl
GMCrimsonMactan, General Manager at Crimson Resort and Spa, Mactan, responded to this review, September 23, 2011
Dear Bloggurl,

It was great to see your post this evening and I would like to thank you for taking the time to write down your comments.

I think your is one of the few that noticed what I like about this resort, being "small". Lots of rooms but you don't feel it.

I also read that you noticed our furniture was locally made, the Cebuanos are very good craftspeople.

I hope if you make it back to the Resort you will get my attention.

Reviewed September 13, 2011

Beautiful main lobby and pool. Beach not clean especially with all the garbage accumulating on the adjacent lots.
One great restaurant which none of the bused in tourist groups use. Lucky the Abaca is almost next door. breakfast buffet is ok but nothing special.

Main problem : the rooms are located at a considerable distance from the main grounds. Twice we were dropped by the golf cart service only to find out that the electronic door key was not working It's a long way back to the reception on foot.

The staff at the beach bar was very rude. nothing you would expect at a hotel that charges 5 star rates.

• Stayed April 2011
73 Thank Crystalperido
GMCrimsonMactan, General Manager at Crimson Resort and Spa, Mactan, responded to this review, September 16, 2011
Dear crystalperida,

I'm pleased you find that we have a beautiful main lobby and pool we also feel those areas are nice.

I'm concerned however of a few of your comments which I don't understand. "tour buses using the restaurant" we do not have tour buses coming to the hotel to use the restaurants, beach not clean "garbage accumulating in the adjacent lots"...there is no accumulating garbage? " the rooms are located at a considerable distance from the main grounds" ...We are a sprawling low rise resort unlike all the other high rises nearby, however most of the rooms are within 50 to 100 meters from the lobby and restaurants.

I did notice in your review that you felt a staff member was rude to you in Azure and maybe that was one of the reasons for this review, I do apologize if this was the case.

Also due to the proximity to the ocean, from time to time we do experience technical problems with the lock as sand or salt can accumulate, however we have an ongoing daily cleaning program to address this issue. I'm sorry that your walk back to the reception seemed so long.

I hope you will find the time to come back and see the resort again.

Cebu Island, Philippines
Reviewed September 9, 2011

I usually prefer to stay at Shangri-la when my family decides to spend time in Mactan, which is roughly 3-4 times a year. This time, my husband and I decided to try out Crimson for a change. We had high hopes because we heard a few positive reviews, and because their rate is more or less the same as Shangri-la's. In my opinion, anyone charging that much in Cebu should have the nerve to do so.

RESERVATION & CHECK-IN:

I made my 2-night reservation via phone and they required that I guarantee it with a credit card. No problem there since this is a common practice with some hotels/resorts. When we checked in, they were able to locate my reservation easily. I was also informed that they already held the amount in my credit card equivalent to one night's stay in the resort. This is fine with me. However, the lady at the reception also requested that I settle the room charges completely as well as make a P3,000 cash deposit for incidentals! This raised an eyebrow as she was asking a lot of money upfront and I haven't been able to set foot in the room yet! I reminded her that she already held an amount equivalent to one night's stay and was questioning the necessity of the other payments she requested. She was pleasant and courteous the whole time but I don't think she understood the purpose of it all. Good thing there was another person at the reception (Arnel?), who kept telling her the additional payments were no longer necessary.

ACCOMMODATION:

We were brought to our deluxe room (room 156) via a golf cart which provided a little scenic trip around the resort. As far as the infrastructure is concerned, the resort is beautiful. There are landscaped gardens around and the villas and rooms are decently spaced. Upon entering the room, we noticed that, although it appeared new and clean, closer inspection revealed some wear and tear. For starters, the cabinet door of the minibar was broken and sagged on the floor everytime you open it. Second, one light beside the bathroom mirror was busted. Third, the bath towels have seen better days. The shower area looked moldy as well. It needed a major scrubbing. Also, the only working table in the room is in front of the big TV. If you have to use the table, you will be blocking the person watching TV. If there is one thing to rave about, it's the bidet. We love it. Bidets are uncommon in hotels here in the Philippines and Crimson didn't put in a cheap-looking, plastic device.

RESTAURANTS

The menu is quite limited and the prices are a little steep, as what other reviewers here have already pointed out. I tried out Saffron at around 3PM on the day of our arrival. When I arrived, I noticed there was only one other table that was occupied. I was led to my table and left there with the menu. I was starving as I did not have lunch yet and I wanted to eat right away but I couldn't find any wait staff around. All I see are what looked like kitchen people clearing up the restaurant after the lunch buffet. I had to get the attention of one of them and ask him to call a waitress for me. What could've kept them so busy at this hour that no one could wait on me?

Our rate included breakfast buffet for 2 adults and my kid. The breakfast spread was okay although we noticed there were a lot of fried food. Steamed and grilled food would be a good addition. One thing we noticed at Saffron was that nobody went around to inform the diners when the buffet was about to close. It is never nice to announce a buffet closure through swishing mops and clanging of the food warmers. Normally, hotel restaurant staff go from table to table to do this about 15-30 minutes prior to closure. During the two mornings we had breakfast there, nobody offered us coffee. I had to ask for it.

What I liked here at Crimson though was the 20% discount they give to guests availing of the local resident's rate who dine at their outlets.

THE WAKE-UP CALL

Normally, a wake-up call is arranged or requested. In our case, our 8:30 AM wake-up call consisted of hammering, drilling and loud noises from the rooms directly above us. I didn't know what the noise was all about until I got out of the room and talked to a housekeeping staff. Turned out, they were renovating the bathroom upstairs. Was this a spur of the moment decision? I did not see any signs that there are or will be construction/renovation works and I was certainly not informed when I checked-in that this was going to happen in the morning. Why would you put a paying guest in such a room? Foreseen inconveniences are always announced at check-in, in notices around the hotel, or in a letter inside your room. We did not find any of these. For us, this was totally unacceptable. A hotel who advertises itself as "synonymous with luxury and personalized service" on their website should not subject their guests to these things. This chain of events prompted my husband to go to the front office straight out of bed and complain. If there is one thing Crimson is excellent at, it's damage control. We were ready to pack up, cut our stay at Crimson, and head to our favorite Mactan resort. After apologizing, the front office supervisor offered my husband a pool villa upgrade right then and there and the front office manager approached my husband to apologize shortly thereafter. Someone from their PR department also offered us 2 free massages. We thought it over and decided to give Crimson another shot.

The pool villa they upgraded us to was a totally different experience. The villa was beautifully appointed and the shower amenities were definitely of more superior quality and smelled "ocean fresh." The living area, bedroom and bathroom were all spotless. I could not believe I was in the same resort. My 2-year old daughter was so happy with the plunge pool and could not help but shriek with excitement that we had to move her to the main pool so as not to disturb our neighbors. We would have loved to have the option to brighten up the room as we still find it dimly lit at night (even with all the lights on) and the water pressure in the shower could be improved.

SPA

We still find the treatment prices expensive although they are currently running promotions on selected massages and treatments that would make it more reasonable. The people at the spa are knowledgeable, courteous and pleasant. I have only good things to say about the spa and our spa experience. We had the Aum signature massage and it was thorough and relaxing. The attendants knew what they were doing and they always make sure to ask you at the right time if you are comfortable and everything is to your liking. This was the highlight of our stay and definitely calmed our nerves. Our spa experience was so good that we are wishing that Crimson would improve in all the other areas we complained about so that we will have enough reason to come back.

Crimson is a new resort with a lot of potential but their staff are in dire need of training. The hotel industry is not an industry that gives you the luxury to learn from your own mistakes. Hopefully, the owners of this resort will realize this and would seek professional help the soonest possible time. We will stick with places that offer value for money while we wait for things to improve at Crimson. I am hopeful that Crimson will, in the future, prove to be a good alternative to the other luxury resorts in Mactan. For now, we wait.

Room Tip: If you have to stay at Crimson and can afford it, take the pool villa.
88 Thank K_travel_freak
CrimsonGM, General Manager at Crimson Resort and Spa, Mactan, responded to this review, September 11, 2011
Dear K_travel_freak,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to make such a detailed report on your stay with us and I am sorry that the first half of your trip was so disappointing.

I will look into the comments on the check-in and the mechanical problems in the room as well as the fact that you were awaken by the renovations above your room, the workers usually do not start that early and a letter is supposed to be in all rooms that are adjacent to the work being done. I will look into this first thing in the morning. I will also look into some additional training for the waitstaff in Saffron to improve their guest contact.

I am glad that the second half of your stay went much better and the facilities which we have here were to your satisfaction, yes our pool villas are quite special.

We are in agreement with you that the hospitality industry is very critical and mistakes are not taken lightly. We will do our best to keep training and improving our services for all of our guests.

Makati, Philippines
Reviewed September 7, 2011

I stayed at Crimson resort Mactan From September 4-5 and I am pleased with my overall experience. There were unexpected occurences that may have turned my vacation into a disaster but they got it all sorted out.

For one, my daughter had lactose intolerance and the nurse took care of arranging a transport service to a nearby hospital. Also, airport transfer was not part of our package but they were kind enough to give us a ride on the way.

Staff were generally courteous and attentive to the needs of their guests.

Nice private beach- clean and well maintained although its a bit rocky in most areas and there were some oil in the surface.

Overall- the facility was CLEAN and POSHY. I would definitely recommend this to my friends.

Room Tip: I stayed at a deluxe room. I like the window connecting to the main room and the bathroom.
107 Thank Jetsy S
CrimsonGM, General Manager at Crimson Resort and Spa, Mactan, responded to this review, September 9, 2011
Dear Jetsy S,

I'm so glad we were able to help you with your child's lactose issue and everything went smoothly, I know how a new Dr. can sometimes be stressful.

Your comment on the beach is also something we are working on now, the season now is moving the sand up the beach and during low tide the bedrock is exposed. We are looking into a way to push the sand back off the beach into the water before the season changes and it does it all by itself.

Again, thanks for the great comments and we look forward to having you back soon.

Surfers Paradise, Australia
Reviewed September 6, 2011

definatly the new place to be on mactan! Huge property, great cocktails by the pool. I stayed ina villa and it was one of the best sleeps i have had in a long time. Breakfast is amazing. definatly worth staying at if your visiting mactan.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
112 Thank Ritchie G
GMCrimsonMactan, General Manager at Crimson Resort and Spa, Mactan, responded to this review, September 14, 2011
Dear 808surf,

Aloha....

Great to see you had such a good time, and by all your reviews I can see you are well traveled and post some honest reviews.

I was living in Kihei back in the late 90's and working for the #1 hotel in Wailea, great place Maui.

Let me know next time you are in Cebu.

sotogrande
Reviewed September 3, 2011

My family and I stayed at crimson resort and it was a absolutely perfect in every way. Great pool areas that my 5 year old son really enjoyed. Upstairs restutant has fantastic views over the resort and sea. Whilst the food and service were excellent. Rooms were a total surprise , modern nice and very clean. Had a wonderful time at this understated hotel and will visit again soon.

• Stayed August 2011
110 Thank fair_c0mments
CrimsonGM, General Manager at Crimson Resort and Spa, Mactan, responded to this review, September 5, 2011
Dear fair _c0mments,

I want to thank you for your review and I am pleased to see that we exceeded your expectations during your stay, we really do try.

I think we may have met during your breakfast and I am pleased that the rest of your stay was great and the rooms impressed..., I look forward to welcoming you back on your next escape from the city.

Please feel free to contact me and let me know when you are coming so we can catch up for a drink or chat.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lapu Lapu
#1 of 87 in Cebu City
Be Resorts - Mactan
Be Resorts - Mactan
#12 of 30 in Lapu Lapu

Been to Crimson Resort and Spa, Mactan? Share your experiences!