“Do not be deceived by the pictures”

Lancaster Hotel Cebu
Reviewed July 19, 2011

We booked an extended stay in Cebu with our two young daughters. We arrived and headed to Lancaster. We began driving through a very bad part of Lapu Lapu, and I kept hoping we woud be getting to a nicer area, but it just got worse. We pulled up to the hotel lobby, and it was very dirty and run down. The area was a bario, with no other buildings visible. The road was more of an ally.

As soon as we entered the lobby, I knew we were not going to stay here, but did not want to be rude to the very nice people that were trying to help us. We said we wanted to look at the room. As we headed to the room, there we large puddles of standing water in the hallways that were absolutely filthy. The very nice young man told us that he doesn't know why they put the pictures on the internet making this look like a nice place, because many people do not stay once they see it for themselves. The room was actually just like the pictures, but beware, the beds are hard as styrofoam.

Needless to say we did not stay, and would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank allforjesus75

Reviewed July 14, 2011

the buildings not finish some of units under constructions but unfortunately, we had a good stay in this hotel, the staff was very friendly and polite well trained from the manager. the manager was very nice and easy to approach, she help and act promptly if you have some request. ojt's some are shy but they are friendly and attentive. my husband and i are happy and we are satisfied the service.. we found the value for money what we spend.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank knowme_11
Reviewed June 22, 2011

Booked with Asia Travel who are an excellent company.

On arrival, the name "Lancaster Hotel" was no where to be seen and the taxi driver was not sure if he was in the right place. Located opposite an untidy grazing site with cattle scratching for food it was not what I had anticipated and things did not bode well! The exterior looks poor and the passage ways to the room also looked tired and grubby! I feared the worse!

But there was no need to worry. The room was large and nicely appointed with kitchenette if you needed it. The aircon was good, as was the Wi Fi. Everything was clean and tidy. There is a large, well stocked, bar and a good swimming pool with plenty of chairs and tables to sit out. The staff were friendly and helpful, although some of the trainees were very shy. The restaurant menu choice was adequate, not over priced and the food well cooked and presented. The Gin and Tonic I ordered was served perfectly!

Shops are only a short taxi ride away and the airport is very close. This place represents good value whether you are staying overnight for the airport or want to stay in Lapu Lapu longer. Recommended.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank FrankieDP
Reviewed June 15, 2011

Don't be discouraged by the flamboyant language used by previous reviewers to rubbish this condotel. It is neither a prison camp nor a haunted house of horrors. In fact it offers comfortable air conditioned accommodation in a spacious location just five minutes from Cebu's International AIrport and mid way between the beaches of Mactan Island and the stunning malls of downtown Cebu.
The taxi drivers I have met all seem to know the Lancaster name and there are always cabs or tricycles available outside the entrance.
The lobby area is stylish and the front desk staff very friendly and eager to please. OK sometimes requests did not get an immediate response but Cebu is not London and Lancaster should not be compared with the Dorchester or even the Holiday Inn.
Admittedly the empty units create a strange atmosphere at first but they succeed in making the Lancaster a very peaceful haven close to the hustle and bustle of the city..
Rooms are all very spacious with balcony and fully equipped kitchen area and bathroom.
The swimming pool and restauarant/bar area are pleasant places at any time of the day and the occasional wedding or birthday party just provides a change.of mood. There is a very varied menu to suit all tastes and service is usually prompt.
Overall Lancaster provides good value for money in an unrivalled position just ten minutes walk from Marina Mall where there are several ATMs, restaurants, travel agents, Western Union and LBC branches, clothes and video shops and Save More, an excellent supermarket.
Minor grumbles ?? Well,Internet connection can be a bit sluggish, but as mentioned by others this tends to be a national problem.
Finally a visit to the bar could be more enjoyable with some background music rather than one of the local TV channels.

Room Tip: choose a room away from bar for peace
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank nevroyan2004
Reviewed April 16, 2011

I stayed in this hotel for 5 days in April 2011. Arriving at the hotel was itself difficult as taxi drivers didnt know the location and the few signs that are there are small and poorly sighted.
Basically the Lancaster Hotel has rooms within the SDR apartment complex, so ask for SDR apartments and taxi driver will find it.

Once arriving at the hotel first impression was poor the hotel seems to be within a poorly maintained and run down apartment complex with many of the apartments unoccupied.
Staff do not seem to wear any kind of uniform so can be hard to distinguish from locals.

You are shown to a room which is situated facing the pool, but down a dark, dirty and very poorly lit corridor...The room has an A4 card pinned to the door to indicate that the room is Lancaster hotels and not a SDR apartment, so first impressions were not good ! But the room itself was large, well presented and appeared excellent.
Housekeeping and reception are slow to deal with problems. I first of all found that I couldnt turn off the water to the shower and it took 3 calls to the reception to get someone to fix it !
You have to physically go to the reception and request that the room be cleansed, which is not what is expected from what is claimed to be a 3/4 star hotel.

Pros: Overall the stay at Lancaster was comfortable, and it is in a good location for local shopping/ airport/ ports. Pool location is nice.

Cons: Very dirty and poorly lit corridors leading to the rooms, apartment block is very run down. Reception is slow to respond to requests, bad signage, nothing to indicate that the apartment block is Lancaster hotel.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank saf7670
Reviewed April 1, 2011

There is some merit to the comments noted here but first lets be fair, this is a Condo Unit that is being converted to some hotel rooms, rental apartments as well as keeping a large portion of the rooms for condo buyers. The rooms are never finished until there is a buyer which also saves on cost an expensive renovations of which most Filipino's don't have the money for after such a large purchase. Yes the rooms to me where well appointed, the linen a bit cheap, but the character of the place an staff where good. To judge this in a manner as if it is in our countries is unfair after all we are here in the Philippines, they have different was to raise capital for projects like this condo unit and they have more than one owner so politics are also part of it. I will be going back there to stay as it was ok for me but i am also going back to support the business after all if we don't an it fails we may lose in the future a promising Hotel. Just don't judge the book by its cover an look at what is really happening and why. Thanks

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank jwcarr_sask
Reviewed February 2, 2011

I don't know whether Lancaster looks like a prison, because luckily I never had to stay in a prison. The site is ideal, near to the airport and several good restaurants and a small mall with a good supermarket (Save More). Still it is very quiet and the air is clean. Two swimming pools are providing my fitness. If I did not decide to cook my meals myself, I was pleased by the good quality of the food in the restaurant/bar. My room was always cleaned very carefully. I also enjoyed the split-type aircons which are much better than the wallmounted aircons still found in many hotels.

Knowing that Philippines is not Switzerland, I also don't expect everything will be the same as at home. But everybody from the friendly staff was always ready to help me whenever I had a little problem.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business