“Luxurious Rooms but the waterpark is a let down”

JPark Island Resort & Waterpark, Cebu
Ranked #7 of 30 Hotels in Lapu Lapu
Cebu City, Philippines
“Luxurious Rooms but the waterpark is a let down”
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Had a great stay at Imperial for my birthday. Their rooms are great! Good food and great service. But if your going their to enjoy the water park, be ready for a big disappointment. There are a lot of on going construction/repair. Their pools look a little run down (considering the resort is only a few years old). Their pools are full of Koreans., in one location, there are about 300 Koreans. I never thought that I would be annoyed with sooo many Koreans. Their Music Band even sings Korean songs most of the time. Their waterpark and their beach doesn't compare with Shangrila. Plus, you wouldn't feel relax at all because of the number of guest they are accommodating. But I really really love their rooms. We stayed at Cebu Suite Ocean View and it was splendid! Luxury in every corner! I would come back for their suite room but I wouldn't come back for their waterpark.

Room Tip: There garden view rooms are like parking lot view rooms. Better shut the window if you stay there.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Elaine0309

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Asia
Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

I would not recommend this place if you are looking for someplace quiet and if you don't have any children needing some form of entertainment. This is my second visit and would probably be my last (I said that the last time) due to my children. Compared to my previous visit, the number of guests have greatly multiplied. Although admittedly my younger children enjoyed the slides immensely, the sheer number of people made me think about the cleanliness of the pools, though I could smell the distinct odor of chlorine. It was also very chaotic during the breakfast buffet and ordering food by the beach took some time and was extremely expensive. What annoyed me the most was a sulfuric smell by the beachfront sometime in the late afternoon. I was informed that the smell came from the sewer or drainage system of a neighboring resort. Having said all this, this place is one of the best swimming places my kids have been to in the Philippines.

• Stayed February 2013
Gimhae, South Korea
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Or if you are not Korean, you cannot enjoy full of this waterpark resort. We have 5 and 3 yrs daughters, they cannot play enough at this waterpark. And the resort are filled with most Koreans and quite Chinese.
For adults and big kids(high grade of elementary school), there are big water slide and may enjoy this resort.

We stayed Mactan suite garden view room, 319. Please avoid this room, actually there is no view in this room.

Beds are good, and bathrooms ok, but too little bathroom amenities-one shower gel and one shampoo is too little for 4 people(so I ask more and they reply).

Services are so so....when I ask something in room, they do well. But but I cannot find buggy car when I need it. There are free wi-fi, but only for the lobby, impossible in the room. I feel the workers are little bit imperious.

Breakfast buffet is very good, but there are many many people, in peak time you may wait to be seated.

Oh, It has own beach, and hotel guests can lend a snorkle gear, but on my day, quality of seawater is not good.

Room Tip: Avoid room 319. It has no view actually.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank 꿈꾸는사람
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed January 21, 2013 via mobile

If you're looking for a resort to chill out and relax, I believe you'll find other resorts out there.

Huge resort, a bit too crowded for my liking though. But service is good. They have Filipino, Japanese and Korean staff. So that gives you already an idea of the market they cater to.

They have a giant slide which would be fun for kids. But again pool area could get crowded.

Rooms are homey but housekeeping was a bit inconsistent in maintaining the rooms. We got several rooms during our stay. Some had complete sets of towels and toiletries but the rest did not.

Beds, pillows and linens were very comfy. That's important to me. So that's a plus for the resort.

Suggest to get a room on the higher floors so you can get a good view of the beach and pool area. Make sure you ask for the view of the pool though or else you'll get a room facing the parking lot.

There are a lot of restaurants in and outside the hotel, which again is a plus. But breakfast can be an effort, again mainly because of the crowd. But dining hall is huge enough so you won't have to wait long to be seated.

Will I stay there again? Probably with the kids but not for a romantic getaway with the wifey.

• Stayed January 2013
3 Thank Mikael D
Flisa, Norway
Reviewed January 16, 2013

We tried Imperial Palace Waterpark in Mactan as recommended by my cousin...as we are not so familiar in Cebu. My kids love the place...the pool and the beach. But staying in the place for 2 days was enough....the food was so expensive..so we took taxi to Maribago Grill for our dinner everyday. Not a relaxing place.... a lot of noise everywhere and the service was below average for the price we payed. The breakfast buffet was a caos....the choice of food was excellent but the service and the long line waiting was terrible. We did not even take our breakfast on the second day. We transferred to Bohol where we had the best of our holiday. We stayed at the Waterpark from Jan. 4-6, 2013.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank efiram_f
Hammerfest, Norway
Reviewed January 11, 2013

We was on my way in the gate, I and 9 Filipinos in the family. Since I was a foreigner, they would have 500 peso more form me inn fee. This despite the fact that I'm the one who was going to pay for all and is the one who probably will contributed most to buy food and drinks in the resturant inside. Since they operate with this apartheid / discrimination - system, we refrained from entering. Would not recommend any foreigners to go there, as long as they have this Nazi system where they require additional payment based on ethnicity. There are many other good resorts in the area that can be used.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
6 Thank Ole Ingvald H
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed January 7, 2013 via mobile

I decided to try this out as a change from the Shangri La.... And it was a change.

If you have kids who love going nuts in the water, go for it - but I reckon they may even get bored after 3 days.
Or if you just want a romantic weekend in a great villa and don't mind other guests' kids going nuts, go for it.

I stayed in villa with jacuzzi and the room was absolutely fantastic but that was the highlight.

Otherwise the place is soul-less and completely without atmosphere.
There's basically no bar as such, so you can't even meet other guests - not that I speak any Korean (!)

The restaurants seem to be empty every night. I checked the menu of the Korean restaurant and almost fell over - it was ridiculously overpriced - I don't care what the food might have been like... These were Michelin hat prices!
I did eat at the Chinese restaurant one night... Again, pretty expensive... But there were a few dishes at 'normal' pricing I.e. similar to or just over what I used to pay in Sydney. Food was good, service was great, but having had great food in Manila for a lot less, I felt a bit ripped off.

Water slides were fun for 15 minutes (for me - there were lots of kids having a whale of a time), beach was not as good as the Shang... Not even close. And I agree with another reviewer about the system of getting a card to get a towel... Makes little sense to me.

There's a couple of pools that are pretty good, one with a swim up bar. At this bar I was also told to go to Lotus if I wanted to have a good night, but again warned I wasn't Filipino enough ( same as I was told at the Shang).

In summary, great for kids, but I wouldn't recommend it for anything else.

I won't go back.

#9 of 41 in Mactan Island
Be Resorts - Mactan
Be Resorts - Mactan
#12 of 30 in Lapu Lapu

Been to JPark Island Resort & Waterpark, Cebu? Share your experiences!