“Loved every minute that we stayed here.”

Abaca Boutique Resort
Ranked #1 of 32 Hotels in Lapu Lapu
Reviewed November 5, 2010

The resort looked exactly like the pictures on its website and in magazine articles. We stayed at the penthouse suite which was roomier than our villa in our Bohol resort. The bathroom was also roomy with a rainfall shower and a separate tub.

Our little 4 month old was not left out of the pampering and was given a playpen, toys, a dvd, a bottle sterilizer, bottle cleansing utensils and a bathtub for his personal use.

The food was delicious. I especially loved that their breakfast wasn't served buffet style. You could have it served in your room at no extra charge. Their breakfast menu was varied enough that the 3 day stay there did not see us repeating any breakfast items.

The pool area was beautiful, it was a shame we had no time to try out the pool.

Their staff was topnotch. The service was excellent and they went out of their way to accommodate our requests, such as an early breakfast at 6am. They also were prompt to respond to a slight problem we had when we found an insect on the bed. They changed the sheets and offered complimentary dessert and a bottle of champagne. They also waived the charge of our ride to the ferry port.

We loved everything about Abaca and we are certain to go back when we visit Cebu.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Beanbun

Reviewed August 17, 2010

Travelled here in eary August with the family, largely on the basis of the reviews on Tripadvisor, and Abaca did not disappoint. The warmth and helpfulness of the staff is exceptional, and we found having a butler to be extremely convenient particularly for our tour of nearby Islands. They don't put a foot wrong at this place - the food is superb, the accommodation is luxurious while remaining true to the personality of the resort, and the spa service and quality is outstanding. When we received our bill on check-out we were pleasantly surprised as it is rare to find this sort of value for money in what is truly an authentic luxury boutique resort. Most importantly, we spent 4 nights here and felt like we were the only ones at the resort.....this really is a gem.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank dcLondon
Reviewed July 25, 2010

Abaca redefines boutique properties in the Philippines. Nine rooms, all done in Filipino modern reflecting the Cebu spirit as leaders in asian furniture, coupled with Cebuano hospitality makes this smallish property a gem. For regular Aman goers or Four Season habitues, the unobtrusive yet attentive service is the hallmark of this property..
Arrival was swift (Cebu airport isnt that big), and the airport rep leads you to your car and hands you cold towels and water. The ride is a short 20 minutes, and upon arrival you are escorted to your room.
All rooms have the simple lines of many typical Asian styled properties. Ample space to move around, and a very large bathroom (the step up to the wash basins and toilet could have been avoided) all make the stay far comfortable. Plush towels, and home spun organic amenities complete the bathroom.
Large flatscreen TV, a dvd player with an option of borrow dvds from their library is great. Wifi in the rooms put you in touch. Mobile signal, I guess in my room and well as wifi was a bit scraggy..problem solved as I got closer to the door.

Food and wine lists are expansive and reasonable. Breakfast is a selection of eggs, sausages and frenchtoast (i abbreviated the menu, its is abit more detailed), all served with basket of breads and artisinal Filipino fruit jams.

All meals can be served to you suite, pool side or at the restaurant. Dinner selection is excellent. The Steak tartar was one of the best I have had in a long time, and the cheese plate presentation well thought out.

I strongly recommend this property, and I am coming bacK.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
3  Thank monchef
Reviewed July 13, 2010

We had never stayed in a small boutique style hotel before but our experience here was fantastic and puts me off staying in big hotels forever more.
The airport pickup was excellent and checkin was done in the room and was very smooth. Room is fabulous. We had a penthouse suite so had a great view from a massive balcony. The pool is small but perfectly big enough considering the small number of guests. The daybeds at the pool are nice but beware of getting bitten by the insects. Definately recommend bringing a big can of bug spray. Food and service in the restaurant was excellent. In fact all the staff are excellent. Our butler Edwin was fantastic. He organised a day trip on a boat for us and jet skiing with minimum fuss. He also organised a brilliant surprise dinner for my husbands birthday. We booked this place specifically because the Hilton and the Shangrila did not appeal to us considering its school holidays and they would have been busy. We had the most relaxing time as it felt like we were the only people there half of the time.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Muiriel77
Reviewed July 10, 2010

We stayed only for one night on July 9 as we arrive late and really our destination is Bohol for the weekend. We really like Abaca setting and room is spacious and all fine touches of a luxury property. The butler service is excellent and the Manager is excellent, thank you very much! Actually the driver we hired on July 10 did not turn up and sent only a taxi with a non-English speaking driver and we returned to the hotel and the Manager arranged everything for us in less than half an hour. It could have spoiled our day if it is because of the Manager's help. The restaurant is one of the best and food was declious at reasonable price. The only negative is the internet connection at the hotel was not good, very low Wifi signal and the cable wire did not even work. Anyway, the Manager did mention I should have called as they had a "airport express" connection to lend to hotel guests so I am definitely going to go back and stay at this hotel whenever I am in Cebu.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Sheepo
Reviewed June 14, 2010

The ideal luxurious weekend away with a baby means quick and easy flights, no visa required, expeditious airport pick-up, short travel time to the hotel, yummy food and wine (reasonably priced is always a plus!), gorgeous resort and moreover - a staff that goes out of their way to accommadate you and baby! Look no further than Abaca Resort.

When looking for an easy place to get to from Hong Kong, Cebu was the best choice... but in the past there hasn't a place I was even remotely interested in staying - the Shangri-la and the Hilton are huge and mass market. I am more of a Four Seasons, Aman Resort type of traveler! Finding Abaca was a godsend!!!

We went to Abaca for a 3-night, 4-day getaway - and Abaca not only met my expectations, but far exceeded them. From the moment we were picked up by the well spoken staff, our numerous baby bags (we have a 4-month old), strollers, etc. carried by strong well-dressed staff we knew we were in paradise. We were offered cold towels and bottled water... then arrived within 15 minutes at the resort and each greeted by name by the General Manager who is beyond lovely.

I cannot say enough about the quality of the (just 8) rooms, the free flowing gatorade and water, nightly homemade brownies, the brand spanking new Apple computer in our room, the generously sized bathroom and oh - the view! Gorgeous views through wind swept palm trees overlooking clear water! While there is no sandy beach at the moment, the resort has just received a permit to build one. But for now, the infinity pool will keep any guest perfectly happy! Tons of pool toys - but no kids in sight! Just quiet, relaxing paradise.

While each physical detail of this resort has been thought of - rooms, gorgeous poolside cabanas, and delightful intimate spa, the main reasons I would return are because of the fantastic staff, AMAZING food, and how easy they made it to stay there with a baby. The GM went out of his way to provide me a brand new baby bath tub, bottle sterilizer, bottle brush (still new in the package), dish soap, drying container, and brand new baby crib with freshly ironed sheets tucked into it! Anytime I travelled between our room and the poolside cabana, I had staff rushing over to me, offering to carry my baby bags or anything else! I mean, I can't say how much I appreciate such intuitive service!

Onto the food - Chef Wade - cooks the type of food you want to eat at every single meal. Comfort food - fantastic ingredients and flawless execution make you want to overeat!!! His standards are the highest, and you can see that from his constant presence in his open kitchen. Chef uses a wood smoking oven to cook just about everything from chickens to pizza's to the croutons that go on his delicious caesar salad - if you can't find something on his menu, he will even cook you pretty much anything you can dream up! The nicest touch is that he gets to know his guests, remembers what they like and usually hand delivers the food. An absolutely polished operation.

Finally, if you want to take your helper (who they so nicely refer to as "the nanny" - I found this very charming!), they have "nanny's quarter's," so you can still retain your privacy and not have her staying in your room. The nanny's quarters were nicer than any helper's room I have ever seen in Hong Kong, and moreover the staff treated my helper like a normal guest. I appreciated this more than I can say - she was treated like an equal for once.

Forgot to mention - the 3 massages I had were some of the best I have ever had.

I liked this resort so much, I wish I could go once a month. Definitely book in advance - the place is uber popular and anyone who goes will see why!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
4  Thank amestx
Reviewed June 5, 2010

Date of Stay: June 4-5,2010
Room Type: Seaview Pool Villa
Room_ Upgrade: none
Amount Paid Per Night: P22,900++ (494++USD)
Reservation Method: Direct to the hotel
Loyalty Card: None

Airport/Hotel Transfer: Complimentary transfer wa part of the overnight room package. Although I have no problem with the car per se, I just thought for the price guests are paying for and for the image the resort is putting across, I expected more than a Toyota Vios to pick me up, but the a/c was cold and the ride was comfortable so I really can't ask for anything more.

Check-in: The resort manager greeted me as I stepped out of the car, to my surprise he then escorted me to my villa instead of the pool cabanas. During an earlier conversation with the reservation staff, they informed me that there was a guest staying at the villa and that I was welcome to use the pool cabanas until they could check me in at 2pm.

Room: At 123 sq meters, the villa was indeed very spacious. The pool in the villa is very nice although I wish they had a ledge installed in it so you can lounge and unwind in the pool. I wish they could put in lights around the pool at night so guests could kick back by the pool at night and they could also put in speakers connected to the iPod dock inside so guests could also have some nice music while they relax.

The villa has a big window that faces the sea and 2 sliding doors going out to the pool from the living area and the bathroom. These allow a lot of light into the villa during the daytime but one should remember that other resort guests pass in front of the window so you might want to cover up.

As you enter the room you will see two daybeds beside a very nice wooden table with a 24-inch iMac. If ever you will use it, make sure to empty the history, cache and cookies before you check out, make sure to also empty the trash bin.

The room has 2 LCD TVs installed; I thought it was a bit unnecessary since you can still see the TV from the side of the bed but I'm not complaining. Of course they might also want to look into putting in an iPod video dock so guests could bring in their own videos in their iPod watch it on the TV screens.

Bed : Bed was quite impressive, I haven't stayed in a resort that really got the bed right but I have to say this one is worth writing home about. The pillows were fluffed up properly at turn down and the linens are very smooth. I guess at 9 rooms, they don't get too much guests and the wear and tear on the linens are less.

Bathroom: Very big bathroom, with a floating tub in the middle. The sliding door from the pool outside lets you get into the bathroom and change without walking through the villa and getting the floor wet. The shower stall is very big, although I wish they could install a bigger rain showerhead. Shampoo, conditioner and shower gels come in clay jars add a nice touch although you should be careful handling them since they can get slippery.

Breakfast: Don't expect heavy Filipino breakfast with garlic fried rice here but that doesn't mean it's not filling. I have to say that the selection is quite varied, and I'm pretty sure you would find something to jump start your day.

Restaurant: The restaurant serves “Mediterranean with very western influences” whatever that means but the food is very good. The only thing I didn't like about the dining experience is the place is a bit too dark for my preference. I had a simple Caesar salad and braised lamb shanks for dinner, and although I have misgivings about the plates used (it's quite hard to east when the bowl/plate forces you to eat with your elbows up), the food is very nice.

Pool: It wasn't exactly big but I really like how they did the infinity pool. I've seen quite a number here and the illusion was just not there, I guess by using black tiles it made it easier to appear as if the pool stretched out to the sea. There isn't really a beach to speak of by the way but the pool certainly makes up for it. There are also 5 poolside cabanas so in case you don't want to bask under the sun that much.

The staff was also very attentive, putting towels on your chaise longue and folding your towels when you decide to go on a dip in the pool and makes sure you have cold hand towels and ice water when you get up from the pool.

Check-out: My butler asked me if what time I would want to leave the resort, I told him since my flight is at 3:30pm I might as well leave the resort at 2pm. At a little past 1:45pm my butler came to villa with the final tally of the bill, I handed him my credit card and he came back with the stuff for me to sign as well as a small pouch filled with seashells as a souvenir.

Overall Evaluation: I think this will be my new retreat, a place where I can just hide and relax. With flights leaving Manila almost every hour, you can get to Cebu at your convenience. The resort is a true oasis for people who just want to get away from the day-to-day hustle and bustle of city life without roughing it up. With excellent staff and amazing villas you will easily forget your problems even just for a day.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled solo
Bluewater Maribago Beach Resort
Costabella Tropical Beach Hotel
Costabella Tropical Beach Hotel
#8 of 43 in Mactan Island

Been to Abaca Boutique Resort? Share your experiences!