“An Oasis Retreat...1 hour away from Manila”

Abaca Boutique Resort
Ranked #1 of 32 Hotels in Lapu Lapu
Reviewed June 5, 2010

Date of Stay: June 4-5,2010
Room Type: Seaview Pool Villa
Room_ Upgrade: none
Amount Paid Per Night: P22,900++ (494++USD)
Reservation Method: Direct to the hotel
Loyalty Card: None

Airport/Hotel Transfer: Complimentary transfer wa part of the overnight room package. Although I have no problem with the car per se, I just thought for the price guests are paying for and for the image the resort is putting across, I expected more than a Toyota Vios to pick me up, but the a/c was cold and the ride was comfortable so I really can't ask for anything more.

Check-in: The resort manager greeted me as I stepped out of the car, to my surprise he then escorted me to my villa instead of the pool cabanas. During an earlier conversation with the reservation staff, they informed me that there was a guest staying at the villa and that I was welcome to use the pool cabanas until they could check me in at 2pm.

Room: At 123 sq meters, the villa was indeed very spacious. The pool in the villa is very nice although I wish they had a ledge installed in it so you can lounge and unwind in the pool. I wish they could put in lights around the pool at night so guests could kick back by the pool at night and they could also put in speakers connected to the iPod dock inside so guests could also have some nice music while they relax.

The villa has a big window that faces the sea and 2 sliding doors going out to the pool from the living area and the bathroom. These allow a lot of light into the villa during the daytime but one should remember that other resort guests pass in front of the window so you might want to cover up.

As you enter the room you will see two daybeds beside a very nice wooden table with a 24-inch iMac. If ever you will use it, make sure to empty the history, cache and cookies before you check out, make sure to also empty the trash bin.

The room has 2 LCD TVs installed; I thought it was a bit unnecessary since you can still see the TV from the side of the bed but I'm not complaining. Of course they might also want to look into putting in an iPod video dock so guests could bring in their own videos in their iPod watch it on the TV screens.

Bed : Bed was quite impressive, I haven't stayed in a resort that really got the bed right but I have to say this one is worth writing home about. The pillows were fluffed up properly at turn down and the linens are very smooth. I guess at 9 rooms, they don't get too much guests and the wear and tear on the linens are less.

Bathroom: Very big bathroom, with a floating tub in the middle. The sliding door from the pool outside lets you get into the bathroom and change without walking through the villa and getting the floor wet. The shower stall is very big, although I wish they could install a bigger rain showerhead. Shampoo, conditioner and shower gels come in clay jars add a nice touch although you should be careful handling them since they can get slippery.

Breakfast: Don't expect heavy Filipino breakfast with garlic fried rice here but that doesn't mean it's not filling. I have to say that the selection is quite varied, and I'm pretty sure you would find something to jump start your day.

Restaurant: The restaurant serves “Mediterranean with very western influences” whatever that means but the food is very good. The only thing I didn't like about the dining experience is the place is a bit too dark for my preference. I had a simple Caesar salad and braised lamb shanks for dinner, and although I have misgivings about the plates used (it's quite hard to east when the bowl/plate forces you to eat with your elbows up), the food is very nice.

Pool: It wasn't exactly big but I really like how they did the infinity pool. I've seen quite a number here and the illusion was just not there, I guess by using black tiles it made it easier to appear as if the pool stretched out to the sea. There isn't really a beach to speak of by the way but the pool certainly makes up for it. There are also 5 poolside cabanas so in case you don't want to bask under the sun that much.

The staff was also very attentive, putting towels on your chaise longue and folding your towels when you decide to go on a dip in the pool and makes sure you have cold hand towels and ice water when you get up from the pool.

Check-out: My butler asked me if what time I would want to leave the resort, I told him since my flight is at 3:30pm I might as well leave the resort at 2pm. At a little past 1:45pm my butler came to villa with the final tally of the bill, I handed him my credit card and he came back with the stuff for me to sign as well as a small pouch filled with seashells as a souvenir.

Overall Evaluation: I think this will be my new retreat, a place where I can just hide and relax. With flights leaving Manila almost every hour, you can get to Cebu at your convenience. The resort is a true oasis for people who just want to get away from the day-to-day hustle and bustle of city life without roughing it up. With excellent staff and amazing villas you will easily forget your problems even just for a day.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled solo
5  Thank Keslergo

Reviewed May 15, 2010

I highly recommend Abaca resort. We visited with two children in early May and the entire experience was wonderful. The resort is small, unlike many in the same area. We mostly stayed on the resort but also took a boat to some other islands, which was great. Restaurant is top quality.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed May 8, 2010

We just got back from a week at Abaca Resort. The hotel rooms are fantastic and considering that they are closely priced to what you would pay for a stay at some of the other nearby chain hotels, they are a great deal. The food in the resort is very good and they were quite responsive to requests that were "off" menu (thanks for the broccoli and rice for breakfast). We even liked it better than the Shangri La which along with the Hilton are also close to the hotel. Last minute request for reservations were cheerfully accepted and if they werent possible, the staff had optional ideas ready that were quite good.

Since we wanted to do a bit of everything (shopping, outdoor/water activities, spa and lounging about), I believe we might not have been typical customers of the hotel, but they did a great job in making our stay memorable. On our island tour, they even make sandwiches and snacks for us to take along. Candle lit dinner on our terrace was quite nice as well.

Pick up and delivery to and from the airport went without a problem. The manager welcomed us when we showed up and gave us a quick tour of the grounds. The manager also saw us off on our last day. They even gave us cookies for our trip back which was a nice touch. We really wanted to do cycling and the resort had not had this request before and was unable to find anything available for us. I was able to find something on the internet and showed them...from that point the staff took over and coordinated the event which worked out very well for us - the day cycling and snorkling was great and a good workout.

The resort was fully booked during our stay and even so you never feel as though you are in a crowd and have to fight for chairs and service. The spa services were good according to my wife. The rooms are attended to twice a day. Breakfast is complimentary and quite filling. We would definitely recommend this resort and hated to leave.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank drshoph
Reviewed February 24, 2010

This hotel is the best hotel by far in Cebu. No question. The service, restauarant, spa, pool, etc....just amazing. You will pay certainly but to me it was worth it. Of course the rest of Cebu is a bit of a let down so the hotel is a diamond in the rough. I recommend just staying on the resort except for boat trips out to island hop and snorkel.

Only major complaint was the night club across the street was VERY VERY noisey every day. The resort cannot have control over it though.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple

#1 of 91 in Cebu City
Costabella Tropical Beach Hotel
Costabella Tropical Beach Hotel
#9 of 43 in Mactan Island

Been to Abaca Boutique Resort? Share your experiences!