“Absolute Luxury with food of Michelin Quality”

Abaca Boutique Resort
Ranked #1 of 32 Hotels in Lapu Lapu
Reviewed January 11, 2014

Abaca is a boutique resort that matches luxury with extraordinary service. I can't say enough good things about this hotel. Not only is the resort five star, with lap pools in some rooms, huge villas, and beautiful styling, but the staff welcome you with a smile at any hour of the day.

We travelled there with 2 kids, and my husband's parents, and we were treated like royalty.
Our stay was over christmas and staff arranged for a christmas tree to be installed in our room while were at dinner so the children could wake up to a tree and lots of presents on Christmas day. Nothing was left unnoticed.

The restaurant was amazing. From breakfast, lunch and dinner. The chef Pat greeted you daily and at most meals to see if you had any specific requests, and made good conversation, giving us tips for travelling around the island, or advice on which food was great to order.

Every meal was absolutely fabulous and the restaurant is open to the public and every night it was full - 70 plus people - which is an indication of its quality and reputation.

A little extra - if you can go out island hopping, I highly recommend it….. Abaca will send out a personal chef and he will cook a BBQ for you on a lovely island about an hour from the resort, and you can drop into a couple more and snorkel with fish on the way home.

I can't recommend this place enough. It's a jewel in the crown of Cebu.

Thanks to all who looked after us. It made for a memorable family trip.

Room Tip: The Oceanfront Spa Villa was amazing and fabulously roomy, and the Poolside oceanfront suite was als...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank sarah c

Reviewed January 10, 2014

Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank soldier678
Reviewed January 8, 2014

This is a beautiful, secluded hotel. The small size of the hotel gives it a real sense of exclusive luxury. The Master Oceanfront Suite that we had was very comfortable and we had a gorgeous view of the pool and the sea. We really enjoyed the spa (we tried the Abaca signature massage and foot reflexology), which was small and itimate, yet able to accommodate us immediately each time, even without reservation. The only reason that I am giving 4 out of 5 stars is the butler service. This hotel does not have a lobby or concierge desk. Instead, there is a phone number you can call and there are butlers all around the hotel waiting to help you. While the service was always courteous, it was sometimes inefficient and difficult to follow up with the same person. On more than one occasion, we waited for over an hour to hear anything back from a butler who was supposed to be helping us. There are not so many activities in the area, but we enjoyed diving with Fun & Sun Dive & Travel just down the road.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Yuri S
Reviewed January 7, 2014

We´re quit experienced travelers, but the Abaca Resort in Cebu really took us by surprise...
From the way we were met and picked up at the airport by our butler, all through our 7 night stay was a wonderful experience.
Abaca goes every way to exceed all you expectations. All the staff are super friendly, and greet you by your name and a warm smile from day one...:-)
You´re pampered all the way with excellent service, fantastic food and a nice family like atmosphere...
The suits are beautiful, spacious, nicely decorated and super clean. One of our first questions were; How about breakfast? Our butler smiled and answered, what ever you want Sir, whenever you want it, in the restaurant at your table, in your room or in your private cabana by the pool...:-) That´s the answer you want to hear, but it´s not very common...:-)
The Australian master chef Patrick has it all lined up for you... The food is absolutely excellent, the menu well combined, and Patrick will visit every table to make sure that everybody is absolutely happy... Any requests, he´ll make it happen, right away...
Bear in mind that this is originally a restaurant that added 9 suits to their premises... The owner himself is also a chef...:-)
Don´t be surprised if the general manager Glenn will serve you your breakfast himself... All the plentiful staff has 100% focus and attention to their guests, and it makes you happy to see that they all work together to create such a nice and friendly environment for their guests.
On the downside; Nothing much really, but the surroundings of the hotel is not the best, it´s like a small oasis amongst some not so nice buildings... And the beaches of Mactan Island are not very good. Abaca will soon expand their beach side with artificial sand, this will be a further improvement, but it´s not much they can do with the water quality and the seaweed thats coming ashore all the time...
If you´re staying in Cebu area, look no further, it doesn´t get much better than this...:-)
If we could, we would wrap up this place, and bring it with us to our next destinations...:-)
Thanks you guys!
Trecia and Erik - Norway

Room Tip: All rooms are good, but ask for top floor... No one above, best view...:-)
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank ErikPinnaas
Reviewed December 29, 2013

We experienced Abaca Hotel for 4 nights, and it was the most memorable of all the hotels we stayed in the Philippines. With only 9 rooms, it seems that the butlers spend every waking moment wondering what he or she can do next to make each guest's stay more pleasant. That is not to say that the service is intrusive or there is forever someone hovering in your space. Quite the opposite; but at the mere sign from you that something more might be wanted, a butler will appear to accommodate your wish or to suggest something that might make that hour of your day a bit more beautiful . As my lovely traveling companion told me, "They make me feel like a princess."

The rooms are spacious and comfortable with local furnishings and art work. The bathrooms are luxurious. The restaurant and chef are excellent and accommodate both local and overseas tastes. The complimentary breakfast is made-to-order, delicious and enough for the rest of the day. The infinity pool is delightful, as are the private cabanas. Abaca is a place to hang out and relax and be pampered.

My only regret is that I arranged a full day island hopping tour in advance through an agency I found online. When I arrived at the Abaca, I found that Abaca also offers an island hopping tour with its own boat, but it is not advertised on their website. If I go to Abaca again, which I plan to do, I will use Abaca to plan all my day trips.

This is a first class resort in every way. If the management of Abaca reads these reviews, I will take this opportunity to say "thank you."

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Deborah362
Reviewed December 28, 2013

From the reservation, they were accommodating and nice. They called me because I had problems with my booking. They really helped me solve my inquiries. The resort was quiet and lovely. When we arrived, the "butler" really made us feel they were happy to have us as their guests. The room we stayed was the masterfront, it was big. There was a separate tub, and the rain shower was on the opposite side. The only downside was the lack of bidet but it did not dampen what I thought was a perfect escape from my very stressful week. The food or list of menu offered at their restaurant were, judging from we ordered, delicious and not that commonly found in other restaurants. Two thumbs up! My daughter also really enjoyed the infinity pool. I will be back if only to just stay and enjoy the peace I felt when we stayed.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Leilanie_12
Reviewed December 26, 2013

Truly, like what have been said by a previous review of this resort - a part of myself selfishly don’t want to share my experience with this place. Or even share its name, not even to my friends when they ask me where did I stay in Cebu. But I owe it to them.

In advance, forgive me for providing a detailed sharing.
It was only an overnight stay. But we wish it would have been longer.

It was our first time visiting Cebu and it was our 2nd night in the province.
If we were somehow disappointed the first night that Cebu is typically almost like Manila - the traffic, the pollution and poverty in some areas, they have cured such disappointment.

Abaca Boutique Resort and Restaurant.

They have only 9 rooms. Just nine folks.

BOOKING
It was flawless.
One should just go to their official website http://abacaresort.com from there one should just leave a message and you can be assured of a reply within 24-48 hrs. Don’t be surprised if even the resident manager will call you back or email you regarding your inquiries or reservations personally. Yes, that's how they service their guest.

We booked our room in Abaca 2 weeks ahead of our arrival. Guest will have to pay in full upon booking, they accept either cash or credit cards. You will have to fill out some authorization form and send scanned copy of your ID to book a room. Once reservation has been confirmed, you'll receive a confirmation letter (email) about the details of your stay.

One of the previous review on this review says that he was called by the manager, a day or two before his scheduled stay, to ask of his flight details and transfer arrangement. And we personally tried this if its true. And yes it was. We didnt provide our transfer arrangement and we were called by Glenn (resident manager) a day before our scheduled stay. They passed our first test.

TRANSFER

We arranged for us to be picked up in the airport, Only one minor hiccup during our stay is that we initially requested to be picked up in Cebu City, but they only can if your willing to be charged aorund php500 (approx $14-15). While this could be argumentative but booking a room for a price of php20,000 a night (approx $500) I wish they could have waived it. ;) but its okay, we decided to visit some places on the way to airport instead.
We were welcomed by Adonis in the airport, one of their butlers. Yes, you'll have your own butler. 24 hours a day. Available anytime, request anything, and anywhere during your stay. We ride a van (all by ourselves). Sometimes, I thought I could only experience this once ive been rich and famous ;)

Resort is 15 minutes away from the airport. Its located alongside the very large area of Shangri La Mactan Cebu. This is the other side of Cebu.

THE RESORT

The place doesn’t have any large signage or banners saying it’s already Abaca. Based on experience this is common to exclusive resort. This somehow builds the idea of exclusivity but at the same time promoting the homey feeling toward the guest stay.

They are very careful on attending on our needs. Upon arrival to the resort, our butler quickly opened the door of our van and making sure we won’t have to carry our bags. We were greeted by other butlers of the hotel and were welcomed on their restaurant.

Raffy, head of the butlers have given us welcome drinks. Cold Freshly squeezed calamansi juice and another set of cold towels to battle the heat. After five minutes, Glenn arrived, personally welcomed us and providing such warm hospitality. Provided us his personal business card and reminding us not to hesitate if we have any concerns. This sealed the deal for us. Were really up to a very nice stay.

Within five minutes our room was ready. Accompanied by Raffy, we were accompanied to our room named “Kinhason” a local dialect for a sea shell.

Room we booked is large or should I say more than enough for us. We have everything we need. We have our own garden patio area, inside day bed, queen sized bed, fresh and comfortable linen bed sheets, personal fridge filled with bottled water, beer and other stuffs (not all complimentary though.LOL) drawers for snacks, plenty of drawers for clothes and other personal stuffs. And what my partner loves the most, a spacious bathroom including a bathtub and separate bathroom area.
Before leaving, Raffy told us that they were instructed by Glenn to provide us complimentary sparkling wine. Not complimentary bottled water. But a wine. Along with is a plate of macadamia nuts and a small plate of French salad.
We are located on the ground floor, Poolside Oceanfront Suite. We are literally few steps from their infinity pool surrounded by 5 cabanas and around 8 day beds. Amenities are in a first come first serve basis but during our stay, we had never a problem securing a cabana.
One could simply spend the whole day in the cabana and dozed off completely. It has its own king sized bed. That’s correct – a king sized bed and a sofa bed on its side and a small table where you could place whatever your going to bring outside. Yes, we are talking only of a cabana. Your butler could set up a meal table on your cabana for your culinary experience or simply for your cocktails. We have tried this. This is one spoiled vacation.

Towels..towels..towels...
Like your butler, they are everywhere. There is not a single instance that we were not given a towel once we get out of their pool. And they literally will try to put in you. Once, I told a joke to my partner that I think that they are instructed to make sure a guest will not have to ask atleast once for a towel or let the air touch our bodies after taking a plunge in their pool.

BUTLER SERVICE

Merriam-Webster defines butler as the chief male servant of a household who has charge of other employees, receives guests, directs the serving of meals, and performs various personal services.

And I thought when Im still deciding if I should book abaca if this they so-called butler service is just overrated. I was wrong.
They will serve you. They will attend you. They will pamper you. They’re going to figure things out for you. They are just one dial away from your room. They’re in the vicinity on the pool area for your call. They’re at the restaurant to find you the best spot available. They are the definition of service.

I would have included the Abaca restaurant in this review but it deserves a separate article.
If there is one thing that sealed the deal for us to rate the resort of being a five star accommodation, this is their overall service. I could describe maybe everything on their resort and even try to detail how they service us but im afraid that it would be a poor attempt to do so. To fully understand where we are coming from, one might try to stay in this paradise. 

Atleast once in your life, you owe to yourself to visit a place like this.

We asked everything that we could think of to try their service. From asking the chef, Patrick, if they could accommodate my partner’s craving of shrimp carbonara (something not on their menu), asking about tourist spots where we could buy souvenirs, asking to call Zubuchon to reserve a 1kg of their famous “zubuchon” for Manila departure the next day, asking if they could pack nicely other stuffs that we bought the day before, when we stayed in Cebu city. Asking if they could call the airline to confirm our flight. Ask if they could iron my wife’s dress... Brat childishly calling the butler 2 in the morning asking for fresh fruit juice...

Folks, we never heard a ‘no’ for an answer.

Im sorry Abaca team for taking months to place a review on your place. As promised, looking forward to visit your place this 2014 summer – an excuse to visit Cebu again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
#1 of 92 in Cebu City
Costabella Tropical Beach Hotel
Costabella Tropical Beach Hotel
#9 of 43 in Mactan Island

Been to Abaca Boutique Resort? Share your experiences!