“Perfect!”

Abaca Boutique Resort
Ranked #1 of 32 Hotels in Lapu Lapu
Reviewed December 28, 2013

From the reservation, they were accommodating and nice. They called me because I had problems with my booking. They really helped me solve my inquiries. The resort was quiet and lovely. When we arrived, the "butler" really made us feel they were happy to have us as their guests. The room we stayed was the masterfront, it was big. There was a separate tub, and the rain shower was on the opposite side. The only downside was the lack of bidet but it did not dampen what I thought was a perfect escape from my very stressful week. The food or list of menu offered at their restaurant were, judging from we ordered, delicious and not that commonly found in other restaurants. Two thumbs up! My daughter also really enjoyed the infinity pool. I will be back if only to just stay and enjoy the peace I felt when we stayed.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Leilanie_12

Reviewed December 26, 2013

Truly, like what have been said by a previous review of this resort - a part of myself selfishly don’t want to share my experience with this place. Or even share its name, not even to my friends when they ask me where did I stay in Cebu. But I owe it to them.

In advance, forgive me for providing a detailed sharing.
It was only an overnight stay. But we wish it would have been longer.

It was our first time visiting Cebu and it was our 2nd night in the province.
If we were somehow disappointed the first night that Cebu is typically almost like Manila - the traffic, the pollution and poverty in some areas, they have cured such disappointment.

Abaca Boutique Resort and Restaurant.

They have only 9 rooms. Just nine folks.

BOOKING
It was flawless.
One should just go to their official website http://abacaresort.com from there one should just leave a message and you can be assured of a reply within 24-48 hrs. Don’t be surprised if even the resident manager will call you back or email you regarding your inquiries or reservations personally. Yes, that's how they service their guest.

We booked our room in Abaca 2 weeks ahead of our arrival. Guest will have to pay in full upon booking, they accept either cash or credit cards. You will have to fill out some authorization form and send scanned copy of your ID to book a room. Once reservation has been confirmed, you'll receive a confirmation letter (email) about the details of your stay.

One of the previous review on this review says that he was called by the manager, a day or two before his scheduled stay, to ask of his flight details and transfer arrangement. And we personally tried this if its true. And yes it was. We didnt provide our transfer arrangement and we were called by Glenn (resident manager) a day before our scheduled stay. They passed our first test.

TRANSFER

We arranged for us to be picked up in the airport, Only one minor hiccup during our stay is that we initially requested to be picked up in Cebu City, but they only can if your willing to be charged aorund php500 (approx $14-15). While this could be argumentative but booking a room for a price of php20,000 a night (approx $500) I wish they could have waived it. ;) but its okay, we decided to visit some places on the way to airport instead.
We were welcomed by Adonis in the airport, one of their butlers. Yes, you'll have your own butler. 24 hours a day. Available anytime, request anything, and anywhere during your stay. We ride a van (all by ourselves). Sometimes, I thought I could only experience this once ive been rich and famous ;)

Resort is 15 minutes away from the airport. Its located alongside the very large area of Shangri La Mactan Cebu. This is the other side of Cebu.

THE RESORT

The place doesn’t have any large signage or banners saying it’s already Abaca. Based on experience this is common to exclusive resort. This somehow builds the idea of exclusivity but at the same time promoting the homey feeling toward the guest stay.

They are very careful on attending on our needs. Upon arrival to the resort, our butler quickly opened the door of our van and making sure we won’t have to carry our bags. We were greeted by other butlers of the hotel and were welcomed on their restaurant.

Raffy, head of the butlers have given us welcome drinks. Cold Freshly squeezed calamansi juice and another set of cold towels to battle the heat. After five minutes, Glenn arrived, personally welcomed us and providing such warm hospitality. Provided us his personal business card and reminding us not to hesitate if we have any concerns. This sealed the deal for us. Were really up to a very nice stay.

Within five minutes our room was ready. Accompanied by Raffy, we were accompanied to our room named “Kinhason” a local dialect for a sea shell.

Room we booked is large or should I say more than enough for us. We have everything we need. We have our own garden patio area, inside day bed, queen sized bed, fresh and comfortable linen bed sheets, personal fridge filled with bottled water, beer and other stuffs (not all complimentary though.LOL) drawers for snacks, plenty of drawers for clothes and other personal stuffs. And what my partner loves the most, a spacious bathroom including a bathtub and separate bathroom area.
Before leaving, Raffy told us that they were instructed by Glenn to provide us complimentary sparkling wine. Not complimentary bottled water. But a wine. Along with is a plate of macadamia nuts and a small plate of French salad.
We are located on the ground floor, Poolside Oceanfront Suite. We are literally few steps from their infinity pool surrounded by 5 cabanas and around 8 day beds. Amenities are in a first come first serve basis but during our stay, we had never a problem securing a cabana.
One could simply spend the whole day in the cabana and dozed off completely. It has its own king sized bed. That’s correct – a king sized bed and a sofa bed on its side and a small table where you could place whatever your going to bring outside. Yes, we are talking only of a cabana. Your butler could set up a meal table on your cabana for your culinary experience or simply for your cocktails. We have tried this. This is one spoiled vacation.

Towels..towels..towels...
Like your butler, they are everywhere. There is not a single instance that we were not given a towel once we get out of their pool. And they literally will try to put in you. Once, I told a joke to my partner that I think that they are instructed to make sure a guest will not have to ask atleast once for a towel or let the air touch our bodies after taking a plunge in their pool.

BUTLER SERVICE

Merriam-Webster defines butler as the chief male servant of a household who has charge of other employees, receives guests, directs the serving of meals, and performs various personal services.

And I thought when Im still deciding if I should book abaca if this they so-called butler service is just overrated. I was wrong.
They will serve you. They will attend you. They will pamper you. They’re going to figure things out for you. They are just one dial away from your room. They’re in the vicinity on the pool area for your call. They’re at the restaurant to find you the best spot available. They are the definition of service.

I would have included the Abaca restaurant in this review but it deserves a separate article.
If there is one thing that sealed the deal for us to rate the resort of being a five star accommodation, this is their overall service. I could describe maybe everything on their resort and even try to detail how they service us but im afraid that it would be a poor attempt to do so. To fully understand where we are coming from, one might try to stay in this paradise. 

Atleast once in your life, you owe to yourself to visit a place like this.

We asked everything that we could think of to try their service. From asking the chef, Patrick, if they could accommodate my partner’s craving of shrimp carbonara (something not on their menu), asking about tourist spots where we could buy souvenirs, asking to call Zubuchon to reserve a 1kg of their famous “zubuchon” for Manila departure the next day, asking if they could pack nicely other stuffs that we bought the day before, when we stayed in Cebu city. Asking if they could call the airline to confirm our flight. Ask if they could iron my wife’s dress... Brat childishly calling the butler 2 in the morning asking for fresh fruit juice...

Folks, we never heard a ‘no’ for an answer.

Im sorry Abaca team for taking months to place a review on your place. As promised, looking forward to visit your place this 2014 summer – an excuse to visit Cebu again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank jaytan87
Reviewed November 30, 2013

I have only positive memories of my stay at Abaca. It was the first holiday we have taken that was purely for the resort and not for sightseeing (not that we didn't leave the compound!)

We did have to wait to be picked up from the airport which wasn't the best of first impressions, but from there on there were no complaints. We moved rooms on the second day due to availability, and though this was to a cheaper room, we actually preferred the layout and bathroom.

There was nothing the staff couldn't do for us. The food was excellent. The cabana was excellent. The pool was excellent. When sitting by the pool, we were brought complimentary juices, water and gelato. Yum.

There was no beach however, and after we went for a little jaunt in the canoe provided, I wouldn't want to get in the seawater. There was not much to see within walking distance, so this truly is a resort for the people who want to relax, be pampered and not leave.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Elle W
Reviewed November 29, 2013

Second visit surpassed my expectations, if you ignore the hotel next door this is great boutique hotel with wonderful service.
Love the Butler service from the airport pick up to arranging my clothes and going the extra mile by providing a car to our business meeting.
Everything was perfect, spa, pool etc
Famous for its restaurant expect to eat well, the chef is a brilliant Australian with a Californian style menu with the best chicken i have ever tasted. Good value and i will be back, best for couples and business. No kids when i was there which was a blessing

Room Tip: only 9 rooms all wondweful
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Mybrico
Reviewed November 8, 2013

Head Butler Raffy his team really makes our stay a wonderful experience. We are a family of 4 with a nanny in tow. Before we arrive, the fact they have a nanny quarter charging at a tiny fraction of the regular room rate makes choosing Abaca over Shangri-la an easy choice. 2 weeks before our arrival, the unfortunate earthquake hit the region. We wrote to enquire the status of the damage and ask whether the hotel suffered any damage. I receive was prompt reply the same day and follow up email on update the next day from the hotel manager.

We like to explore food outside the hotel normally. But Abaca managed to get us to eat practically all meals in the hotel. Even on our island hopping trip, not only they prepared sandwiches for the adults, the kitchen made the yummiest chocolate muffins for the children to bring on board.

Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Penthouse suite is good enough for a family of 4. There is no need to book a pool villa, unless you...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank SGParent
Reviewed October 19, 2013

The staff here are amazing. The butler service is brilliant- attentive but un-obtrusive. The food at the restaurant was delicious and the head chef took the time to personally welcome me at each meal. I stayed for two nights in one of the poolside penthouse rooms- it was beautifully furnished, very luxurious, huge with high ceilings and had a beautiful private balcony looking out over the sea and pool. The pool area is lovely with big cabanas and an infinity pool. The spa services were also top notch. Highly recommend this hotel- I will be back!

• Stayed: September 2013
3  Thank HelsBels1208
Reviewed October 10, 2013

I stayed in this resort with my husband for my birthday this year!

We had booked the Poolside Oceanfront Suite which was amazing and easy to access to the infinity pool. The rate had included round trip airport transfer, welcome drinks upon arrival, personalized butler service, complimentary wifi , evening night cap cocktails and daily gourmet breakfast.

The Suite was spacious and stylish with dim light. It was very relax, but it may be a bit too dark for you to read. The bathroom was nice with separate bath tub and rain shower. They had also provided their own signature spa toiletries in a ceramic jar for us. The suite also included a very small garden with an outdoor shower.

The service from all staff was faultless and they all treated us like Royalty.

We had tried their breakfast, lunch and dinner in the restaurant. Food and drinks were both superb with nice presentation. The dinner was set in a private oceanfront cabana , which was a very romantic candle light dinner for me and my husband.

One drawback of this resort is no beach in there which was a shame that that we could not snorkel around the resort. But this is a perfect and quiet resort for couples.

Just before we left, they also gave us a pack of seashells from Cebu as a gift which I really appreciated.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Bluewater Maribago Beach Resort
Costabella Tropical Beach Hotel
Costabella Tropical Beach Hotel
#9 of 43 in Mactan Island

Been to Abaca Boutique Resort? Share your experiences!