“Luxurious getaway from it all.”

Abaca Boutique Resort
Ranked #1 of 31 Hotels in Lapu Lapu
Manila, Philippines
“Luxurious getaway from it all.”
Reviewed April 10, 2013

It can be difficult to exceed one's expectations these days. Most high-end resorts provide excellence of service as a standard and it is close to certain that when you pay the money you will be treated very well. However, Abaca takes it to a whole new level.

I began to realise that the hotel was a little different from the norm when I received an email two days before check-in, asking for my flight details so that they could send someone to collect my partner and I. With a few other things on my mind (it was the weekend of my wedding), I didn't get a chance to reply and thought nothing of it until Glen, the Resort Manager, called the following day to enquire when I needed a driver. Clearly this was a man who believed in being thorough! Having explained that I was at another venue Glen arranged for transport to take us from there to Abaca.

The driver arrived promptly and transferred us to the hotel, whereupon we were greeted by one of the senior staff with a cold face cloth to cool our sweaty brows. Unexpected and most welcome! As we were shown to our rooms my wife and I were left with the definite understanding that the hotel would do everything to make our stay as enjoyable as possible. Fresh calamansi juice was provided as we entered our rooms and the supervisor explained that we could order breakfast from our room and it could be served in the restaurant, on our balcony or by the pool.

Our room was designed to create a cool, natural effect with plenty of wood and white colours. The bathroom reflected the same ambience and contained a modern tub together with a wet room type shower. The bed was very comfortable with soft pillows and dream-inducing pillows and sheets.

From our balcony we could see Abaca's infinity pool and it wasn't long before we jumped in. With its ocean backdrop it leaves you feeling like you haven't a care in the world. While we were relaxing a member of staff came over and asked us whether we would like water or coffee. Notably, he addressed me by name, even though we hadn't met before. Another dinger for personal service. Although all of the cabanas were taken at that time, he came back to us as soon as one was free and moved us over. I wouldn't have been surprised if he offered to carry me over to it on his back, while simultaneously fluffing the pillows. When we were happily ensconced in the cabana the resort manager, Glen popped over to turn on the fans and introduce himself. The following day, when my wife and I were swimming in the pool, he offered to take our photo - not something either of us could do in the water when our cameras were smartphones. It was a nice gesture and much appreciated. When we ate in the evening I noticed that Glen helped out the staff several times, taking orders and serving plates. I am always quite impressed when I see a senior manager getting involved at the front-end. To me it shows how much they value this part of the operation.

A couple of nice touches at Abaca were that the waters, coffees and so on during the daytime by the pool were all complimentary. Additionally, the shower by the pool had the same gel, shampoo and conditioners that were used in the guest bedrooms. A nice bonus as it avoided having to carry them with you or shower later. Another interesting feature was related to tipping. It was explained to us that guests should not feel obliged to tip for individual services. The hotel provides an envelope and asks that any tips are left at the end. This is then shared out among all staff, which helps the kitchen and other staff who don't necessarily have direct contact with guests.

When we ate in the restaurant that evening my wife and I both enjoyed the food, particularly the flatbread pizzas with their lovely fresh ingredients and the braised short-ribs where the meat fell off the bone. My wife had a bouillabaisse that was reasonably tasty, if not spectacular. We also enjoyed a complimentary cocktail; mine a very refreshing mojito. Breakfast the following morning was very good and we enjoyed a relaxing meal looking out onto the sea. A great way to start the day!

A few minor quibbles relating to the booking process were that, when booking the room the prices listed exclude VAT so the final price will be higher, although you will know exactly what this is a few steps further on in the booking process. Also, you don't have the option of completing the booking process online. I had to print out the order form, complete it and send it back to the hotel, which was a little laborious. In addition, my credit card was charged in advance.

Abaca is a great venue for couples or friends looking to relax, be taken care of to a very high level and not have to worry about very much at all. I saw some families with children in the hotel and I did wonder whether this was the right venue for them. I imagine children might be a little bored there. For me it was phenomenal though.

The hotel is undeniably expensive by Filipino standards, but serves as a perfect treat on a special occasion and I am keen to return there again in the future.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ferg74

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
  • Korean first
Reviewed April 6, 2013 via mobile

I am currently on the final day of a 4 day stay at Abaca and this break has been everything I was hoping it would be and more. When researching what to do and where to stay for my Cebu trip, the criteria I was looking for in a hotel included the following:
* small and low key to avoid the massive groups of "tour bus" type tourists who always seem to invade the breakfast buffet like locusts
* great customer service to minimise any aggravation
* last but not least, amazing food as I wasn't planning to leave the resort at all in the 4 days

Glenn (GM) and his amazing team of butlers and service staff have managed to exceed all my expectations. From my initial conversation with Glenn re what to do on my arrival at 4am as the room was not available, to when I arrived and the butlers had set up one of the pool cabanas for me, even with tea and coffee facilities and a freshly made sandwich!

For Cebu, the room rates are relatively higher than some of the other resorts, but it is worth every penny as you would find it difficult to find as good as an experience than at Abaca. The amazing butlers go out of their way to anticipate your needs and Yanni even brought in sugar free ice cream for me as he knew I was a diabetic!

The other fantastic part of abaca is the food. Chef Wade Watson and his team make beautiful delicious food that you don't want to stop eating. From their signature flat bread pizzas to whipping up a crab linguine that I requested and that was not on the menu. Nothing is too much trouble at Abaca.

So if you are looking for a super relaxed, chilled out and HAPPY holiday, then Abaca is the place for you.

Thank you to Glenn and his amazing team!

Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank HKTravels
Melbourne
Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

We came here on our babymoon over Easter, and have loved every moment of our stay. Most notable is the service. It's hard to imagine service to be so personalised and constant while at the same time totally unobtrusive and discreet. The staff do an amazing job of treating each guest like royalty while respecting the need for personal space on what is, for many, a relaxing retreat away from the hustle of the city.
Coming from Manila, where service is done so absolutely abbysmally, Abaca is a godsend.

The resort itself is small, which adds to its intimacy. This was not a downside for us, as we are doing very little movement. Everything - the pool, restaurant & our room is within 30 meters, which is perfect. The small size of the hotel also means that there aren't throngs of holiday makers competing for space by the pool, or seats at dinnertime. It also means that there is very little noise at any time of the day or night, again adding to the relaxing atmosphere of the resort.

Our room - a base room - is beautiful. Smooth whites and dark wood with lots of local carvings, shells, etc, make for an incredibly calming night's sleep.
The restaurant is similarly amazing - open to the air but never to hot nor too breezy. And the food... Wow!!!

We are already considering when our next stay here will be, and we haven't yet left.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Charlie D
Reviewed March 20, 2013

This resort is small with only 9 villas but it was one of the best vacations I have ever had. Service was impeccable. They knew I had a baby with me and when they picked us up from the airport, they had a car seat in the van. Our room was personally equipped with a crib, sterilizer, baby videos and other baby stuff. The food in the restaurant is good and kids' meals are all complimentary. You can eat wherever you want in the resort - in your room, in the cabanas, in your front porch- and all have wonderful ambience and they do not charge extra for in-room dining. The staff addressed us by our names and the butler service was so efficient. they even ironed clothes for us for free! This place is amazing and you get your money's worth. I could never run out of good things to say about Abaca. I only wish they had a beach. If they did, it's perfect.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Michelle N
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Went to Cebu with my husband for my birthday weekend. He booked us at Abaca for my birthday, and it was a great choice. We loved the personalized service - staff addressed us by our first names and staff made sure we were having a great time during our stay. The room was so nice and spacious, with a lounge bed on the balcony where i spent my time reading a book, with a view of the infinity pool and the ocean. If i would pick my favorite areas in this resort - i'd choose the balcony lounge bed and the poolside cabanas.

Husband arranged for a candle light birthday dinner by the poolside cabana, and the setup was lovely. Food was also good, with ample servings. we weren't able to finish our dessert as we were so full already. They also gave us a complimentary bottle of bubbly to celebrate the occasion, this aside from the free mojitos we had sent to our room before bed time.

Towels are by Laura Ashley, and i loved them because they're soft and fluffy. Their bath amenities also smell good. Too bad we couldn't take them home, LOL. I only wish they also have a fluffy bathrobe in the bathroom.

There's a free car service to/from airport and within Mactan (well, up to Lapulapu shrine), with cold towel and water to refresh with after the flight. We also booked their transpo service (for a fee) to take us to the city center after we checked out. Their cars/vans are comfy and clean, with a nice blast of AC to counter the heat outside.

Breakfast was also another plus. We had our breakfast served at our room's balcony, and the staff made sure we had what we need and more. Not much selection, but they were of good quality. They taste so good that we even ordered second servings. another favorite was their fresh watermelon juice - so yummy and refreshing.

Too bad we only stayed for one night, as we already prebooked another hotel in the city center for our second night. But we're definitely going back to Abaca soon, especially when we're up for a relaxing weekend in Cebu. From the airport to the resort, during the stay and up to checkout time - guests are really cared for.

This is now my favorite resort in Mactan.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank RezC_12
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 1, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I have just spent 9 days at this magnificent boutique hotel. We cannot speak highly enough of the services we received, the friendliness and competence of each and every member of staff.

We made a point of trying as many things as we could on the menu, and its fair to say that everything we had was delicious, with extremely generous portion sizes. As I am not a big drinker I would have the complimentary night cap with my meal. Each of these were delightful and they even give you non alcoholic alternatives. The cakes in the room every evening were a nice touch also.

We didn't have lunch very often as we were usually too full from our delicious breakfast. However when we did order lunch we shared a dish and the ones we tried were excellent.

My husband took the kayak out every day and thoroughly enjoyed this. We booked a day trip island hopping on our own private boat organised by the hotel which was an unforgettable experience, including lunch , snorkelling and drinks. We also visited Bohol to see the chocolate hills, river cruise and tarsier sanctuary. It was a long day trip but well worth it. The staff again organised this and packed us a lunch in anticipation of us not enjoying the food on the cruise.

Whilst there are other hotels in close proximity that are not up to the standard of abaca they in no way tarnished our experience.

The spa is also lovely and the massage I had was one of the best ever.

We experienced 3 rooms , the oceanfront suite on the first floor my husband loved, it had a huge bathroom and private balcony. The poolside suite is where we stayed for most of our trip was on the ground floor . I liked this room as it was spacious and easy access from the pool. The final room was the spa villa which was stunning. The room was huge, the view was amazing , we would stay in this room again!

Although there is much more of the phillipines that we would want to see, we will incorporate this hotel into any plans we make next time we visit .

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank 2006Taylors
Bacolod, Bacolod, Philippines
Reviewed February 23, 2013

We have been wanting to check in this place for a long time and finally we got our chance, we were offered a higher room since the room we wanted was already booked, they only have 9 rooms in the resorts, talking about exclusivity! So feb 22 glenn the manger called us saying they cant check us in early since the room was still occupied by 23rd but offered to arrange activites when i told him that im travelling with my 3 year old daughter he offered us kid friendly activities, when we arrived in cebu one of the buttler is already waiting for us and greeted us even ask the name of my daughter :) which is also important As a parent, they asked about my hubby who was flying in a later flight, they also arrange the pick up, when we arried at the resort glenn greeted us which is really nice and knows u by ur name he had as escourted to our cabana poolside to wait for our room it was a piece of heaven and a break from stress offered us drinks took care of our needs so many to mention about the dedication of everyone to serve you, even though the resort is small it a surprise to me they have the best most accomodating staff ever. The butlers are alwYs ready to help and the food! The best! Worth every penny spend! Our flight was pm so we check out 12 noon but glenn the manager surprised us that we will be transfered to another villa to wait for our flight. Talk about exceeeding every expectation for me its the best resort i have been in cebu thumbs up for the excellent commitment to service quality! Rooms are great food is great service is the best whT more can u ask for:) i will be definitely be back here soon!

• Stayed February 2013
#1 of 89 in Cebu City
Be Resorts - Mactan
Be Resorts - Mactan
#12 of 31 in Lapu Lapu

Been to Abaca Boutique Resort? Share your experiences!