“Incredible service, beautiful setting”

Abaca Boutique Resort
Ranked #1 of 32 Hotels in Lapu Lapu
Reviewed March 29, 2013

We came here on our babymoon over Easter, and have loved every moment of our stay. Most notable is the service. It's hard to imagine service to be so personalised and constant while at the same time totally unobtrusive and discreet. The staff do an amazing job of treating each guest like royalty while respecting the need for personal space on what is, for many, a relaxing retreat away from the hustle of the city.
Coming from Manila, where service is done so absolutely abbysmally, Abaca is a godsend.

The resort itself is small, which adds to its intimacy. This was not a downside for us, as we are doing very little movement. Everything - the pool, restaurant & our room is within 30 meters, which is perfect. The small size of the hotel also means that there aren't throngs of holiday makers competing for space by the pool, or seats at dinnertime. It also means that there is very little noise at any time of the day or night, again adding to the relaxing atmosphere of the resort.

Our room - a base room - is beautiful. Smooth whites and dark wood with lots of local carvings, shells, etc, make for an incredibly calming night's sleep.
The restaurant is similarly amazing - open to the air but never to hot nor too breezy. And the food... Wow!!!

We are already considering when our next stay here will be, and we haven't yet left.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Charlie D

Reviewed March 20, 2013

This resort is small with only 9 villas but it was one of the best vacations I have ever had. Service was impeccable. They knew I had a baby with me and when they picked us up from the airport, they had a car seat in the van. Our room was personally equipped with a crib, sterilizer, baby videos and other baby stuff. The food in the restaurant is good and kids' meals are all complimentary. You can eat wherever you want in the resort - in your room, in the cabanas, in your front porch- and all have wonderful ambience and they do not charge extra for in-room dining. The staff addressed us by our names and the butler service was so efficient. they even ironed clothes for us for free! This place is amazing and you get your money's worth. I could never run out of good things to say about Abaca. I only wish they had a beach. If they did, it's perfect.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Michelle N
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Went to Cebu with my husband for my birthday weekend. He booked us at Abaca for my birthday, and it was a great choice. We loved the personalized service - staff addressed us by our first names and staff made sure we were having a great time during our stay. The room was so nice and spacious, with a lounge bed on the balcony where i spent my time reading a book, with a view of the infinity pool and the ocean. If i would pick my favorite areas in this resort - i'd choose the balcony lounge bed and the poolside cabanas.

Husband arranged for a candle light birthday dinner by the poolside cabana, and the setup was lovely. Food was also good, with ample servings. we weren't able to finish our dessert as we were so full already. They also gave us a complimentary bottle of bubbly to celebrate the occasion, this aside from the free mojitos we had sent to our room before bed time.

Towels are by Laura Ashley, and i loved them because they're soft and fluffy. Their bath amenities also smell good. Too bad we couldn't take them home, LOL. I only wish they also have a fluffy bathrobe in the bathroom.

There's a free car service to/from airport and within Mactan (well, up to Lapulapu shrine), with cold towel and water to refresh with after the flight. We also booked their transpo service (for a fee) to take us to the city center after we checked out. Their cars/vans are comfy and clean, with a nice blast of AC to counter the heat outside.

Breakfast was also another plus. We had our breakfast served at our room's balcony, and the staff made sure we had what we need and more. Not much selection, but they were of good quality. They taste so good that we even ordered second servings. another favorite was their fresh watermelon juice - so yummy and refreshing.

Too bad we only stayed for one night, as we already prebooked another hotel in the city center for our second night. But we're definitely going back to Abaca soon, especially when we're up for a relaxing weekend in Cebu. From the airport to the resort, during the stay and up to checkout time - guests are really cared for.

This is now my favorite resort in Mactan.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank RezC_12
Reviewed March 1, 2013

My husband and I have just spent 9 days at this magnificent boutique hotel. We cannot speak highly enough of the services we received, the friendliness and competence of each and every member of staff.

We made a point of trying as many things as we could on the menu, and its fair to say that everything we had was delicious, with extremely generous portion sizes. As I am not a big drinker I would have the complimentary night cap with my meal. Each of these were delightful and they even give you non alcoholic alternatives. The cakes in the room every evening were a nice touch also.

We didn't have lunch very often as we were usually too full from our delicious breakfast. However when we did order lunch we shared a dish and the ones we tried were excellent.

My husband took the kayak out every day and thoroughly enjoyed this. We booked a day trip island hopping on our own private boat organised by the hotel which was an unforgettable experience, including lunch , snorkelling and drinks. We also visited Bohol to see the chocolate hills, river cruise and tarsier sanctuary. It was a long day trip but well worth it. The staff again organised this and packed us a lunch in anticipation of us not enjoying the food on the cruise.

Whilst there are other hotels in close proximity that are not up to the standard of abaca they in no way tarnished our experience.

The spa is also lovely and the massage I had was one of the best ever.

We experienced 3 rooms , the oceanfront suite on the first floor my husband loved, it had a huge bathroom and private balcony. The poolside suite is where we stayed for most of our trip was on the ground floor . I liked this room as it was spacious and easy access from the pool. The final room was the spa villa which was stunning. The room was huge, the view was amazing , we would stay in this room again!

Although there is much more of the phillipines that we would want to see, we will incorporate this hotel into any plans we make next time we visit .

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank 2006Taylors
Reviewed February 23, 2013

We have been wanting to check in this place for a long time and finally we got our chance, we were offered a higher room since the room we wanted was already booked, they only have 9 rooms in the resorts, talking about exclusivity! So feb 22 glenn the manger called us saying they cant check us in early since the room was still occupied by 23rd but offered to arrange activites when i told him that im travelling with my 3 year old daughter he offered us kid friendly activities, when we arrived in cebu one of the buttler is already waiting for us and greeted us even ask the name of my daughter :) which is also important As a parent, they asked about my hubby who was flying in a later flight, they also arrange the pick up, when we arried at the resort glenn greeted us which is really nice and knows u by ur name he had as escourted to our cabana poolside to wait for our room it was a piece of heaven and a break from stress offered us drinks took care of our needs so many to mention about the dedication of everyone to serve you, even though the resort is small it a surprise to me they have the best most accomodating staff ever. The butlers are alwYs ready to help and the food! The best! Worth every penny spend! Our flight was pm so we check out 12 noon but glenn the manager surprised us that we will be transfered to another villa to wait for our flight. Talk about exceeeding every expectation for me its the best resort i have been in cebu thumbs up for the excellent commitment to service quality! Rooms are great food is great service is the best whT more can u ask for:) i will be definitely be back here soon!

• Stayed: February 2013
3  Thank keziah_0429
Reviewed February 12, 2013

As with the previous reviewer, our family found Abaca so good, I am reluctant to write about it. All the other feedbacks hold true--- lovely spacious rooms, outstanding food, exceptional sincere service. Special thanks to Raffy and Angelo.

We are a family of four with two small children. We may not be the usual clientele the resort would have, but the staff made it extra accommodating for us and for our kids. Would definitely return for a couple’s retreat next time.

Room Tip: Seaview Pool Villa
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank mainevent
Reviewed February 10, 2013

I've done this twice now, written a review about a place so special that I didn't want to give away the secret. This is a place you want to keep for yourself.

Just nine rooms, nine. It can't ever be too busy or crowded, there's always a table at the restaurant for you, the pool is never crowded, there's always an available pool cabana and a member of the staff are always just steps away.

If you need to unwind, relax or clear your mind this is the perfect place.

The service and food is so good there's no reason to leave.

Not really a place for family's with young children.

And it's a little tough to get into town if you want an alternative dining spot or to shop.

Room Tip: Just pick one.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
#1 of 91 in Cebu City
Costabella Tropical Beach Hotel
Costabella Tropical Beach Hotel
#9 of 43 in Mactan Island

Been to Abaca Boutique Resort? Share your experiences!