“Central. Comfy beds. OCD about cleanliness. Great views. Restaurants and nightlife nearby.”

Fuente Pension House
Ranked #5 of 76 Cebu City B&B and Inns
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed April 18, 2014

This gem was found after staying at the Hotel Pier Cuatro in Mandaue City and being disappointed with its location amongst dilapidated, dusty warehouses (read my other review on Hotel Pier Cuatro).
The hotel is OBSSESSED with cleanliness. Each time I came through the lobby, up the stairs, just anywhere and anytime during the day, there was good old-fashioned elbow grease applied to bannisters, windows, stairs, and walls by several of the staff members. I think this is a good kind of OCD for a hotel to have.
For the first morning of your stay, you get a free Filipino breakfast (longganiza, rice, and egg). The restaurant is on the top (sixth) floor of the hotel, and has excellent views of the mountains, nearby Mango Square, and the city streets. Just about everything but Fuente Circle could be seen from up there. It’s not air-conditioned and there are no windows, but there were no problems with mosquitoes (they have a way of finding me) and lots of fresh breezes. Prices are reasonable too. If you need a break from hotel food, just go to the food court, the Thai restaurant nearby, or over near Mango Square.
The beds were super comfortable. The mattresses weren’t anything special like Tempurpedic, but I would stay at the hotel again for just that. There is free Wi-Fi in the room, around 0.75 Mbps down and up, so not terribly fast, but reliable.
Nestor, working at the front desk, was the most memorable staff member. He went above and beyond to make me feel like more than just the guest in room 217. Fabulous job with everything, sir. Nearby, in the lobby, there is a travel agency there that I used to book ferry tickets. I recommend going there than the super-busy one that is on the top floor of the Robinson’s Fuente.
What I was looking for in the hotel I chose was for things to do to be within walking distance. There are so many places within walking distance of the hotel. Robinson’s Fuente is a shopping mall (I think the third biggest in Cebu), complete with a supermarket and food court. If you want to see the Carbon market, Magellan’s Cross, Basilican Minore Sto Nino, and Fort San Pedro, just take jeepney 06B. To Ayala Mall, just take 17D.
Here are the downsides. With the hotel, there were some dirty dishes that were on a rack outside my room for two whole days of my stay. With the otherwise unrelenting dedication to cleanliness, I was surprised to see this was not taken care of. Ok, it’s not a big deal, but it’s the only negative comment I have. Also, not related to the hotel were some of the pushy characters selling maps, sunglasses, and newspapers around Fuente Circle, about 100 meters from the hotel. They are harmless, but aggressive.
Great place.

Room Tip: My room had a view of the wall (room 217), but I think there are other rooms with a better view. Ask...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
4 Thank paulino636

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed March 17, 2014

My Fiancée and I stayed here for 3 days in mid February. We took a metered taxi from the airport which cost around 200 PHP. On arrival at the Pension house we were greeted by desk clerk didnt get his name but a very happy person, we had to wait a little while for our room but that was ok. There is seating there and it is air condition and comfortable. We were shown to our room which was clean bright and airy, it has an enormous bed, tv, shower and toilet. Our friends were due to arrive the following day i requested if they could be on the same floor as us this was for filled with no problems.We all ate the Fuente Pension house restaurant for the complimentary breakfast which was satisfying.The restaurant is located on the top floor some nice views from here it is very bright and sunny, better than some of those big hotels where it would be inside and surround by four walls and depressing. Fuente is located in a good spot close to a shopping mall, fast food, and the circle. Access to transport is a short walk and you can easly get around from here via jeep or taxi. The only thing i would complain about was the shower it was only a stream of water a new shower head would solve this issue, other than that we had a pleasant stay. We would stay here again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank David2469
Tromso, Norway
Reviewed January 2, 2014

This is by far the best hotel i've ever been to in Cebu City, the staff is very friendly, and the atmosphere is excellent, we have stayed here three times in the span of 11 years, and the next time we visit Cebu we will return to this hotel. The location is uptown, and it's a quiet place.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank kurtis60
dumaguete
Reviewed June 15, 2013

I have stayed here many times in the past five years. It may be time for a change. It is difficult to exactly what it is but something has changed. I even asked at the front desk, when my issue was NOT addressed if there had been a change of ownership. Known staff members seem to be demoralized.

There is one small change which should not have produced a problem but it has. A key card locking system has been installed. New locks - unchanged mentality. The card is regarded as a KEY not as the disposable, consumable item which it is. DO NOT DISTURB / MAKE UP ROOM signs no longer hang in the room. Housekeeping staff were unsuccessfully chased down to make up the room.

I think that I will try elsewhere for one or two stays to see if 'management' gets the message. It runs the risk of my finding another place and NOT returning.

This hotel still represents good value for money. The long broken elevator has been returned to service. The rooftop restaurant produces good food.

The convenience and flexibility of its checkout = checkin + 24 hours is unbeatable.

Still, there is something wrong.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank davfitz
charleston, wv
Reviewed May 29, 2013

I've stayed here 5 times over the past 4 years, and have always been treated very well by the staff. The room is absolutely nothing special--typical cinder block walls, decent bed, an the showers never have the water pressure that I get here in the states. But the A/C always works, the location is great, and the new restaurant they put on the 6th floor (it used to be on the 4th) is a great place to eat, get online, and meet new people. The food is always good and very affordable. The staff there remembers us year after year.

Room Tip: Some rooms don't have Wi-Fi because of the location. I like the rooms at the front with a window...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Northborough, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 7, 2013

I loved this place. It was super clean, good air con. There's a roof there that serves good, fresh filipino food and the best freshly made to order mango shakes! They peel and puree fresh local mangos! Back in 2005 I paid $16 USD/night. Its in walking distance of nightlife and a great restaurant Abuhan II. The staff were so friendly and professional!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank HugoSandro
Augusta, Georgia
Reviewed December 8, 2012

We stayed twice here last year and the last 2 years. They had great amenities and facilities, the restaurant that overlooks the city and the cozy suite. All of these were wonderful but the receptionist always force us to buy water in their rooftop restaurant but we forgot it! I just loved here. A home away from home!!!!! thanks FPH!

Room Tip: I prefer to stay in the suite. It is very cosy there!
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family