Hotel Fortuna
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Alemar Budgetel(Cebu City)
  • Breakfast included
GV Tower Hotel(Cebu City)
  • Restaurant
View Hotel
J L Suites Cebu(Cebu Island)
  • Free Internet
Casa Amigo(Cebu City)
Diplomat Hotel(Cebu City)
  • Restaurant
All reviewsdowntown cebumagellan's crosscolon stwalking distancenino churchlunch buffetstandard roombudget hotelssingle bedaccommodating stafftourist spotsstoaccommodationsfurniturecomfortphilippines
Reviewed August 13, 2011

Have stayed here for 3 days last July 2011. Although located downtown, our taxi driver seems unfamiliar with the hotel. Turned out that he is more familiar with the bakery (La Fortuna Bakery) located next door. Anyways, check-in was fast and hassle-free (thanks to Ms Lory of Front Desk).

The room we stayed at (Standard Room) was clean, spacious, bed was comfortable, AC working properly. There was hot water in the shower, toilet working properly, plus provided us with clean towels and simple bath amenities everyday. The room also has cable TV, an electric kettle and thermos. They also provided glasses and cups. It’s a plus for us since we like to have coffee/tea before going to bed. They also have a hot/cold water dispenser (which works properly) located at the hallway.

The accommodation comes with a daily free set breakfast. Don’t expect too much from it though.. But there are restaurants and fast food chains near the hotel. Next door is their bakery where you can buy freshly-baked local pastries that you can bring home.

The hotel is conveniently located near several major tourist spots, malls, local shops, markets, banks, ATMs. Most of it are within walking distance. The biggest malls in Cebu can be reached by a short jeepney or taxi ride. Transportation is not a problem.

The staff is very helpful, polite and friendly. They readily give you directions to wherever you want to go including what/where to ride. So, kudos to the staff of Hotel Fortuna! Will definitely recommend you!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank wanderingtaz R
Reviewed April 26, 2011

We stayed in this hotel one night and since we liked it we came back one week after our trip to Bohol.
The rooms were clean and breakfast was not so bad as described in other reviews, they are working on it. But don´t expect too much from it.
The manager was really friendly and helped us twice with their private hotel car bringing us to the ariport and aslo to the ferry station when we had trouble with the taxis.
The stuff was also very friendly and made some hot soup even the restaurant was closed.
Thanks so much. Cu next time again

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MTV080
Reviewed February 13, 2011

We stayed at the Fortuna Hotel in downtown Cebu for two weeks. It is very clean and the staff is attentive. The rooms are very nice and clean and location aside is one of the best values I have found in Cebu. My wife used to work downtown and grew up attending San Jose Catholic church so we enjoy staying at this hotel. They offer pickup and drop off service at Mactan airport for a small additional fee. Nice bathroom with HOT and cold water. The Fortuna bakery is right next door and the wares are wonderful.

We thank the Sy family for wonderful service and a very nice hotel. We appreciate you!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cruise749
Reviewed October 14, 2010

Dulce domum at Mole End, Hotel Fortuna

I stayed overnight at Hotel Fortuna in a room priced at Php750 (around $16) with a shower, aircon, cable TV and free breakfast. It was a steal and I was wondering what the catch was. When I arrived at around 11 pm at the airport, the taxi driver was not familiar with the hotel, although according to the hotel website it is well-known for its bakery. I called up the hotel with my cellphone and let the driver discuss directions with the front desk.

PROS:

The place looks new and is brightly lit. One must deposit an initial amount first, which will be deducted from payment upon checkout.

Some people might have been dismayed, but when I got to my room, I was delighted because its compact size somehow reminded me of my bedroom as a kid. It had a single bed pushed up against the wall, a small space between the bed and the table holding the TV and drawers, and a small bathroom with a shower that has no divider with the toilet. Had it been dingy or old, it would have been very sad, but at the time I was there (Sept ’10) it was new, well-lit, with nice looking wooden furniture and was rather charming in its Lord of the Rings hobbit-house way. The small table and chair in the room is hardly a work area and would function more as an additional place to put your things on, but I was strangely amused by the choice of art hanging on the wall, a painting of a tiny cup of espresso. How fitting.

The breakfast was not buffet, but a set meal of sausage, egg, rice and coffee, and I told myself one must not expect too much for the price. What matters to me is a good night’s sleep with no disturbances, running hot water in either the shower or bath, and courteous staff, all of which were present. The Fortuna Bakery is indeed beside the hotel, and one need not look further for take-home gifts or pasalubong if pressed for time, the bakery carries most of the native delicacies of Cebu, plus some Chinese pastries also, since I believe the owners are Chinese.

CONS:

If you are renting a car to get around Cebu, the hotel does not seem to have parking, its front entrance being immediately accessible from the sidewalk.

I cannot recommend this hotel to people who are on a tight schedule, because its location in the downtown area makes it a busy place and it is very hard to get a cab during rush hour. The staff unfortunately did not offer to hail me a cab, although perhaps I should have asked. If you need to be at the airport, leave early so you can make it on time.

The bathroom, despite having an exhaust fan, had a bit of a stale-water smell after use, and it doesn’t seem to ventilate very easily. Given the size of the accomodations I just described, people over six feet tall will probably not find the single room very comfortable.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank Semi-ambivalent
Reviewed September 30, 2009

The daily trip to the breakfast is as much as one can handle foodwise, if they supply the breakfast ticket.
Tried to eat the buffet and while not looking too bad it turned out cold, Pork & chicken as well as fish, all as cold as death itself,,,,which is a recipe for just that.
I checked the Buffet each day in the hope that they might have some safe HOT food.
When i mentioned to the manager that the food was cold it was suggested I order from the menu, at inflated prices with no guarantee it would be safer or hotter.
Needless to say the food at the buffet continued to be presented at unsafe low temperatures. I am a qualified & certificated food handler and comment from experience and knowledge.
IT IS A VERY NICE HOTEL APART FROM BEING SO CLOSE TO CARBON MARKET AND THE FOOD SITUATION.
I WILL STAY THERE AGAIN AND AGAIN BUT FOOD SAFETY NEEDS ATTENTION BEFORE I WILL EAT THERE.

Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple