“Still just a cheap place and almost a flop house” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel de Mercedes

Hotel de Mercedes
Ranked #63 of 87 Hotels in Cebu City
Lubbock, Texas
“Still just a cheap place and almost a flop house”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2011

I was at the Mercedes Hotel several years ago as I stopped to see a friend. It had old furniture and the beds were saggy and bad for a traveler's back. Oddly enough the showers were generally okay. But, when I came back in that evening, I was surprised that probably one of the the cleaning crew (it was a male crew) had used my nice, clean, high-tech razor. I could tell as it had not been cleaned very well and the hair was dark and thick in the razor. At night, if you wanted to go to bed before 1:00 a.m., it was rough to get to sleep as an in-hotel band played on and on. The only thing that I can say discreetly was that I was able to get a pretty good massage at the time, although I had to convince the (female) masseuse that I really DID ONLY want a massage and nothing special. But, the massage helped me get to sleep. The hotel is by the Carbon Market, which when I first saw it at night at 10:00 p.m., I thought it was the entrance to Hell, it was so depressing a place. The hotel beakfast was so-so with nothing special in my mind, although I ate the ham and eggs and toast, since I was thin and hungry. The staff was generally polite to me and called me "Boss", something which I don' necessarily like, but I will take that call compareed to a lot of other names. There were people who did refer to me as "Sir", to be sure. I think that there are better places to stay in Cebu City, but if you are on a low budget, you might have to think about staying there. Again, it near some of the dicey and rough spots in Cebu, so expect to see a part of human nature that is at its worst.

Room Tip: Always insist that there has to be a better supierior room than deluxe, which is just two single bed...
  • Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank Mildmanneredman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
WAYLAND
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2010

Staff was friendly. Good restaurant. Internet available. Beds were large and seemed worn out but were comfortable nonetheless. Nearby nightclub and barking dog could get annoying. Good room service. At $20 a night for a big room it was a nice place. Friendly staff really made the stay comfortable.

• Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank thomaspaine
calgary
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2010

If you like to rough it on a scale of camping and want cheap then stay here.
Lots of bugs in the rooms, little unknown guys, misquitos and cockroaches dwell here.

I had a delux room for 1 night. The bed sheets were ancient with many holes. The bed was substandard, the room was delipated with crusty stuff on the shower and sink.
The TV did not work. Rundown airconditioning and non at all in the lobby.
No internet.
The night clerk wanted many many pesos to bring a quest in past 9pm.

One day roughing it here was plenty for me.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Alohaal

Travelers are raving about these Cebu City hotels

Northern California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2010

This is a budget hotel located downtown. I didn't expect "the Ritz" but this one was bad even by "budget" standards. The bathroom was grimey, there was no towels (I had to request them from housekeeping), and there was no hot water. (I later discovered the hot water had been turned off under the sink. I turned it back on.) The staff were either poorly trained or just unenthusiastic to the max (giving them undeserved tips improved the quality of the service a little). The simple restaurant food was way overpriced, overcooked, and tasteless. Oh, and did I mention that that there was a tatoo parlour opening off of the lobby? The only positive thing that I can say is that my room was amazingly large and well furnished. I suspect that this use to be a nice hotel but has been allowed to deteriorate.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
3 Thank lindamae10
Pakuranga, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2010

Just 2 nights at the Diplomat at end of my Trip. Was clean an comfortable, service ok. Hotel needs money spent on makeover - looking old, but very clean. Security presence and Hotel safe available for travel docs like Passport/Cash/Air tickets etc. Staff were polite and professional

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank the2ndhasapulse
namsterdam
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2009

I was in the Mercedes for about 15 times last 2 years. I like it because I want to live between the locals. If you want to sit between locals forget the dollar priced hotels (aimed at foreighners) and look for max 1000 Pesos hotels like locals do. The Ausie who states "stay away" - I had wors hotels in Australie (Darwin/Melboarne) for 100AUD!.
Indeed,a hotel with local standards, just a little water out of the shower and if you are lucky its warm water. The "Disco" outsite (on the south) is just another Bikini Bar which you will not hear if you turn on the Aircon. Cockroaches walk on the street (Visayas is a dirty area) and if they are in the room thet come along quick to cath them. But Hey, its the nicest City and Hotel if you Like 24 hours Pinoy life. If you are freindly smilling Colon is the safest area. Most tourist stay in the Fuente Osmena area which is dead (and unsafe) at night. If you want absolutely nothing to do with the Philipine life hop indeed in a resort at Mactan Island (15 mile from Dowtown Cebu), stay in good/cheap aircon taxis, go to aircom Malls and Aircon Bars/Clubs. If you can handle FUN the Pinoy way (thats just look to the good things in life) stay at Mercedes in Colon(= downtown Cebu)

• Stayed July 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank andre44
Bangkok
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2009

I first stayed at this hotel 15 years ago, and became friends with the owner. A very nice man who took me to his country club to play golf. He knew his business, and was good with people. The new owner, the nephew, is nowhere as good with business or with people, and the hotel is mismanaged, has bad housekeeping, the rooms are falling apart, and I would not recommend it to anyone, except to the ownwer/manager to stay at his own place to see how bad it is.

Stayed November 2008