I think Marco Polo is by the far the best hotel I have stayed in Cebu to date. While it may not be fairly new (established in 2006), the hotel itself is well kept with a beautiful chandelier and clean carpeting. The surrounding area was full of flora and fauna as well as a spacious parking lot. The pool, albeit small, was indeed inviting in the scorching sun. While overall, the place looked opulent, it is not amiss of some disadvantages.
We arrived around 9AM on April 2. I requested our office admin to make sure that we be allowed early check-in. However, the place was full to the brim. We could not check in until after an hour or so. As such, we decided to leave our bags instead and head to Ayala Cebu for our mandatory trade check. We waited for 30 minutes to get a cab (we were third in queue and we missed the hotel shuttle to Ayala Mall). Sadly, it took us another 30 minutes to get to the mall (due to mid-morning traffic). As I told my admin, had I known it would take an hour or so to get anywhere, I would have opted to stay in Radisson Blu (except that it was too late to change hotels and that it was also fully booked when we were making arrangements). This long wait however happened only once during our 3d/2n stay as the succeeding travels in and around the city only took us 5 minutes or less to get a cab (thankfully!).
Notable to this hotel -- the security guards would stop the cabs to check and to remind the drivers to turn on the meter. They would also hand out complaint stubs that you could refer to should an erring driver come your way.
Once we were able to check in, we were welcomed by a spacious room (we stayed at 1808) with a mountain view (Cebu Tops not far away). The bed was a pleasure to sleep in but I didn't like the pillows as much since it tends to get flat after awhile of laying your head on it.
The bathroom was a bit tiny, with no shower doors. The free toiletries however really smelled good and were quite effective in doing the job.
Breakfast fare -- expansive enough. The selection ranged from American breakfast staples to Chinese dim sum to Japanese sushi to Filipino beef tapa . Coffee was really good as well. Special samplers of their coffee of the day (white choco mocha among others) were handed out for free as well. I found the fruit section though a bit wanting as there were no ripe mangoes. I found that a bit strange considering that Cebu is known for this produce.
Here's the thing -- since this place is a bit detached from the rest of Cebu, dining out might be tricky. There are good restaurants down the road (Anzani) if you want to walk a kilometre or two. Otherwise, you would really need to take a cab to get anywhere.
Overall however, I would recommend this hotel for relaxation purposes. I would love to try their spa the next time that I stay (although I think the prices are a bit steep) but if it would give me temporary tranquility, I would say, why not! =)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Marco Polo Plaza Cebu is nestled at the prestigious Nivel Hills providing a spectacular view of Cebu City and Mactan Island. Be it business or vacation, stay at Cebu City's Finest hotel, the Marco Polo Plaza Cebu. Marco Polo Plaza Cebu is a 24 storey hotel with 329 well-appointed guest rooms including suites with fine amenities, 24 hour security and safety measures and free Wi-Fi internet. A trip to the "Queen City of the South" in the Philippines - Cebu, is a culinary journey. Marco Polo Plaza Cebu is hailed as a dining destination of Cebu City. Dubbed as the "Best Buffet in Cebu City", Cafe Marco attracts diners to feast on Filipino, Continental and Western cuisine. It is awarded as Top 5 Restaurant in the Philippines by the prestigious Miele Guide in 2013. Blu Bar & Grill is an ultimate dining experience in Cebu City. From a thousand feet above sea level, it offers a panoramic view of Cebu City and Mactan Island. The glamorous Philippine Tattler awards it as one of Philippines' Best Restaurants. Marco Polo Plaza Cebu is a choice Cebu venue for meetings, conferences and celebrations. Its lavish Grand Ballroom and function rooms can accommodate up to 2,500 guests. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Agoda, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Hotels.com and Jetsetter so you can book your Marco Polo Plaza Cebu reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Marco Polo Plaza Hotel Cebu City
- Marco Polo Plaza Cebu Cebu Island/Cebu City