“Great View from the Top” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Marco Polo Plaza Cebu

Marco Polo Plaza Cebu
Ranked #4 of 86 Hotels in Cebu City
CEBU
“Great View from the Top”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2012

The old Cebu Plaza Hotel-now Marco Polo Plaza hotel which sits on top of Nivel Hills. My entire family checked-in around the 1st week of December and they liked it. The bed is very comfortable, the kids love the view of the city and they love the kiddie pool too. The room is spacious with 2 double beds. I'm surprised with the bravia LCD tv inside. Bathroom looks average but the vanity kit was gorgeous I brought some home. The only thing blocking the full view of the city from the pool is the Marco Polo condominium which is under construction. One last thing-i love the free coaster ride to the malls-it comes free if you want to go shopping or explore the city.

Room Tip: Request for a city view room
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank LOVEME2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2012 via mobile

My first stay at the Marco Polo in Cebu.
Was an excellent location as it away from the hustle & bustle of the city.
Room was very spacious, nicely furnished & staff were very helpful.
Only negative is for the #2 hotel in Cebu I was expecting the bathroom to be more up to date. It was cramped & had obviously not been refurbished in quite sometime.
Some positives however is the immaculate lobby & lounge area. As it's Christmas staff were dressed up as nutcrackers & ballerinas, the giant Christmas tree is gorgeous. The breakfast buffet was on of the best I've had ever, although it is quite pricey if not include in your room charge.
All in all I had a great time & would possibly stay here again in the future.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank Ashley M
Sarasota, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2012

First let me start with the small negative part... There is construction next door, right by the pool. The only time we heard the noise is when we were outside. That's it.

Now about the hotel. It is beautiful inside. Specially this time of the year with their Christmas decorations. Everyone was accommodating, helpful and eager to assist you in a moments notice.
The hotel has 3 restaurants. We tried every one. The Blu bar and grill on the roof top was just absolutely romantic and the food was wonderful. El Viento, the outside bar and grill is a great place right next to the pool area where you dont need to worry about changing your clothes to grab a quick lunch or dinner. Cafe Marco, has a reputation to have one of the best buffet in the city and that statement is true. A large assortment of Asian food, just yummy. When you go for breakfast ask to sit at Joy Romeo's section, she is wonderful.
Any where you need to go is only a taxi ride away. Not too close to anything but easy to get to.

Room Tip: It never hurts to ask.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Maria S
Cebu City, Philippines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2012

Stayed overnight with my friends after a corporate party still at Marco Polo. Food was disappointing but service was good, facilities were well improved and there was nothing notable to complain about the room where we stayed in. I must say, my stay was still a very pleasant one.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Sagay City, Philippines
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2012

This is my second time in Marco Polo Cebu so this is also going to be my second review of the hotel.

I was only scheduled for one night in Cebu but my tattoo session got delayed so I had a lame excuse to miss my flight and book another hotel. I initially stayed in Radisson but I thought I couldn't afford staying there for another night so I thought Marco Polo was a better option. I made a reservation on their own website but I did not get a confirmation right away - their reservations department only emailed me after I checked out - so I just dared to go to the hotel and luckily they still had a deluxe room available for their weekender package.

I got free Havaianas included in their weekender package - nothing fitted me though and everything seemed to be for girls so that was for my mother. They also had other freebies and discounts included in the package but I did not get any of them - one of those freebies they indicated (a Marco Polo explorer gift pack for kids) was not available in the gift shop as I was told.

I collect key card sleeves (or whatever you call that case they use for key cards) so one thing I immediately noticed was how thin the sleeves were compared to the last time I was in this hotel and that was just 2 months ago. Maybe the hotel was cost-cutting?

I did not get the free breakfast and I chose to order the room service breakfast instead. Yes, it may be a little pricey but boy was I so full after eating half of it, so I was pretty satisfied.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Manila, Philippines
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2012

Marco Polo Hotel Cebu has regained the 'old charm' that was the Cebu Plaza Hotel until its demise a decade ago. This new hotel has not only regained but improved the facilities, rooms and particularly their food & beverage services. The hotel has a wonderful vigor about it.

Room Tip: The best views of the city all day.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank VicAlcuaz
qld
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

I have stayed at the MArco Polo a few times before. Although the rooms are a bit dated, i like the staff there and it seems to keep its classyness. There are lots of other newer hotels in Cebu now too but i would normally choose the Marco Polo. But never again.

I made my booking at lunch time on a Sunday via Agoda. Booking confirmed. When i arrived at the hotel that evening, they had no record of the reservation. The supervisor informed me that they don't do reservations on Sundays. And it is suppose to be a 4.5 star hotel?

Like many travelers i arrived after 12 hours of travel. Not only was the booking not processed, but the check in staff were very unhelpful. (ROse). Rather than copy the booking reference down and letting me go to my room,. i was made to find an internet connection and email it to them before they would give me a key. They had the Agoda booking, why force me to email it to them?

I asked for an Ocean View Room and was told none were available.However, the floor i was on seemed to almost empty except for me, in fact the hotel was quiet. Unless every ocean view room was out of service, i was lied to by the reservations people who i suspect just couldnt be bothered looking.

But it got worse. On checkout morning i got a phone call with a robotic voice asking if i had feedback. I said yes i did, but my comments about reservation problems seemed to drift past her ears like a warm summer breeze, and just a few "yes siiirrr" and then a goodbye. So i emailed the reservations manager with constructive advice as to how it could have been better. For my trouble i received 2 email replies. Both just said "test email". I also got a "Customer feedback" survey with about 150 questions..i doubt anyone would read the replies and so it wasnt worth the 20 minutes it would take to complete it.

If anyone from the Marco Polo chain reads reviews (i doubt) they really need to get in and shake up the Cebu reservations and check in staff. Worst experience ever at a hotel. Nothing goes right, they can't even respond to emails. I transferred to the Radisson Blu as soon as my booking was done.

Some great staff at the Marco Polo and the best breakfasts. But it wont survive if it bleeds its loyal customers with lazy and incompetent reservations staff.

Room Tip: Don't bother, "none available sirr" even with an almost empty hotel.
Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Moevenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu
Mandarin Plaza Hotel
Mandarin Plaza Hotel
#12 of 86 in Cebu City

Been to Marco Polo Plaza Cebu? Share your experiences!