“Tranquility in the city - mailbox and YM access blocked”

Montebello Villa Hotel
Ranked #12 of 92 Hotels in Cebu City
Reviewed February 12, 2014

The Montebello hotel has a big swimming pool (and 2 kiddy pools) and a nice big garden that shields all the noise and pollution of the city. It's a nice place to relax in Cebu. The internet is not the most reliable. But what really disturbs me is that the hotel intentionally blocks POP, IMAP and Yahoo messenger access which is a nuisance if you access your mails with these protocols, e.g. via Outlook. I spoke to the IT manager and he set me up a temporary network that did not block these services. However, this network was only temporary and I could not access it in my room. The IT manager said that they block these protocols because some guests downloaded extensively in the past. Still, I cannot understand this policy as all hotels face the same problem and I was always able to access the email elsewhere. I hope that the internet policy will change after this review.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Voyager_Again
MontebelloHotel, Guest Relations Manager at Montebello Villa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. Rest assured that these measures in regard to WIFI are not to impede and doesn't restrict your emails but to further improve our security and connection to better serve all guests.

We take note of the inconvenience you experienced and we will find a solution to make it more accessible for all guests.

On the other hand, we are delighted to know that you find our gardens nice and a place to relax amidst the bustling city.

We look forward to serve you again.

Reviewed January 30, 2014

My ferry was cancelled due to a tropical storm.

When I went to cancel my booking i found that while the online booking website looked like the hotel's it was that of a booking agency and that my cancellation would cost me one day's accommodation.

I will be taking a great deal of care in future and if I should stay at the Montebello again I'll be booking by phone.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Baboy T
MontebelloHotel, Guest Relations Manager at Montebello Villa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2014

Dear Guest,

We apologize for the inconvenience you experienced with regard to your reservation here at Montebello Villa Hotel. Please contact directly our reservation office for your future bookings.

May I please ask if you can send it to me via e-mail (layle.luna@montebellovillahotel.com) the name of the booking agency so that we can communicate with them to ensure this type of inconvenience will never happen again.

We hope to welcome you and your family here at Montebello Villa Hotel.

Regards and thank you for your comments.

Reviewed January 30, 2014

I and my Fiancee booked the room last 01/20/2014 for a single big bed and asked the receptionist if they will allow Personalized Pre nup pictorial for free.She called their sales department and spoke with one of their sales rep personally informing us that we may do so.On the day that we are scheduled to check in (01/29/2014), We were informed that the room was still occupied ,we were advised to wait and 30 minutes had passed but no one even bothered to inform us about the room if it was ready.My fiancee was still the one who made the follow up. Disgusting.30 minutes late from teh check in ti,e scheduled.On the day of our pictorial, we were asked to stop since we got no permission from their sales dept that we can do it without paying -what the heck was that.Before I booked I even [personally asked if we can and I was assured that there won't be a problem. If we were told that we can't we could have cancelled the reservation.One more thing that made us upset was on the day that we are leaving it was still 10:30 am ,the receptionist already called us if we are leaving and after 15 minutes same question was asked.I don't like their customer service.venue was nice but the service was a total crap. Badly needs improvement

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Chim A

Dear Chim,

We apologize for the inconvenience we have caused you during your stay with us. We are extremely concerned to note your dissatisfaction. Rest assured that we have taken necessary measures that such lapse in service will not happen again.

Your comments are valuable as is your patronage. We hope this does not deter you from coming back to Montebello Villa Hotel, Cebu’s only garden hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Montebello Villa Hotel if only to prove that we are better than what you have experienced.

Thank you and regards.

Reviewed January 13, 2014

I have stayed at Montebello several times over the past 15 years or so. Thankfully it hasn't changed much in that time.
My last two visits were with my wife and children and it was really perfect for us.
Cebu city is becoming very busy and congested with traffic, so it's really nice to have somewhere to escape to. Montebello has a beautiful garden with ponds that the children can catch fish from. It has a couple of nice clean swimming pools and a pleasant bar and restaurant.
The staff are exeptionally friendly and polite - much like most of the population in that part of the World. They all would politely greet us by name whenever we passed, and no request seemed to be too much trouble.
I have stayed in some of the fancier hotels in Cebu, but I prefer the Montebello. I guess it's relaxed and pleasant atmosphere suits me.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank 6hhgffghggg
MontebelloHotel, Guest Relations Manager at Montebello Villa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2014

Dear Guest,

Greetings from Cebu’s only garden hotel!

How’s the home of the big Merino in Goulburn?

Thank you so much for your kind words. It is nice to know that you've been staying with us for the past 15 years. It is always a pleasure to read that returning guests have had another comfortable stay.

Despite your very encouraging comments, we here at Montebello Villa Hotel will continue to strive and innovate to improve our facilities and services.

We look forward to welcoming you and your family again. Thank you once again for the compliments.

Cheers!

Reviewed December 23, 2013

Located near a small mall, this hotel is quiet confortable with nice facilities.
Large swimming pools and corect breakfast. The staff is professionnal and at your disposal to help you. Good place to sart visiting Cebu.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
MontebelloHotel, Guest Relations Manager at Montebello Villa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2014

Dear Guest,

We are so delighted to hear that you find our facilities nice and comfortable.

Our staff is more than willing to dispense utmost service and it is our greatest pleasure to help you with what you needed. We thank you for highly appreciating our service.

We hope to see you again.

Reviewed December 7, 2013

This hotel is just one thing: cheap. And its only cheap if you don't buy anything but the room.

Some reviewers have said it has an "old world feel." Only if the old world in question is from the 1970's. It's not in terrible shape, but there's nothing noteworthy about it either. It just looks like it hasn't been renovated in 30 years - and judging by the locks, which are real locks with keys, it hasn't.

The room I got was pretty small. The Wi-Fi is pretty good all around the hotel though, as they have several routers positioned around the place. The air conditioner in the room was noisy, but effective. The halls are open air and thus not air conditioned.

Other than the room, everything is overpriced. If you buy a San Miguel in the bar it's 75 pesos, which is fairly expensive. If you buy it in the little cafe next to the reception desk, it's 100, which is ridiculous.

My phone's battery was dying and I had just given away my laptop, so I asked at reception if there was a place to charge it. I just needed a USB plug. Some hotels would see this as an opportunity to show their great service, but not this one. They told me the only place I could charge it was in their business center - for 100 pesos an hour. That's $2.50 at current rates.

Also note that in a country known for its hospitality and friendliness, the reception women were cold and unfriendly, and one particular person in the bar area (one who was grilling outside) was downright unpleasant.

Other than being conveniently located behind a low quality mall, there's nothing really good about the place. I was frustrated at every turn at reception.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank RobinFolsomCA

Dear Mr. Robin FolsomCA,

Greetings!

We are sorry to hear that your were disappointed during your stay in Montebello Villa Hotel. In contrary to what you've described Montebello Villa Hotel, many guests find our hotel unique because we're able to maintain and reflect the richness and charm of Cebu's Hispanic heritage and remained to be Cebu's only garden hotel.

With regard to the rooms, we are proud to let you know that most of our guests appreciate the Spanish style, newly refurbished rooms. But we are not opposed to renovating and updating, and have been doing it in some rooms. Hopefully on your next visit we could showcase other room types, which is bigger and better than what you have experienced.

Our rates, comparable to other hotels, are even lower than in most luxury hotels in the country.

As for WIFI, it is available and free while internet at the business center has a minimum cost.

However, we respect your feedback. We look forward to see you again.

Reviewed November 27, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is a sight to behold for those who fancy old world styling and the ambience that comes with it. It's reminiscent of old Spanish architecture with tropical landscapes. The service was excellent. The staff were very friendly. The hotel's appointments are way above par. The restaurant, bar and pool area are situated centrally. The free breakfast buffet of local and international dishes will leave you stuffed and satisfied. The rates are very reasonable. Take advantage of special seasonal rates and save some money for shopping at the nearby mall. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank digitalpapa
MontebelloHotel, Guest Relations Manager at Montebello Villa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2013

Dear Mr. Digitalpapa,

Thank you for your kind words and thoughts. We are very pleased that you enjoyed your recent stay in Montebello Villa Hotel. This kind of review from a guest’s perception is very helpful to inform other reviewers what a perfect retreat Montebello Villa Hotel is.

Thank you for posting your pictures and we hope to see more of these reviews in the coming days from different reviewers.

We appreciate how you define excellence and satisfaction in our hotel especially our service, landscape, staff, breakfast and restaurant.

The whole team hopes to see you again.