“Nice Family Atmosphere Hotel with Beautiful Garden and Pool”

Montebello Villa Hotel
Ranked #12 of 87 Hotels in Cebu City
Lowell, Massachusetts, United States
“Nice Family Atmosphere Hotel with Beautiful Garden and Pool”
Reviewed June 19, 2013

This is a vintage 1970s hotel that has not been seriously updated since then. It could use a little paint but otherwise it's in great shape. The restaurant was very good and the grounds and the pool were beautiful. A great oasis of relaxation in hectic Cebu.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Joel W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Korean first
Shepparton, Australia
Reviewed May 18, 2013

We booked a deluxe room over the internet. We were not asked for our preferred bedding configuration, nor did I think I should have to specify. When you are staying at such a hotel you would expect a "large" bed. What we would call in Australia, a queen bed. I'm not sure if the term is the same all over. When we arrived we had a great modern room, but with a single bed and a double bed. We did not complain at that time. We don't like to make waves, and the room was really nice. We tried to sleep on the small bed (double) but it was not so comfortable. The next morning we took our complaint to the front desk. At first we were informed there were no more equivalent rooms available with a queen bed. Then the supervisor joined the conversation and she suggested we go to breakfast and they would have a room to show us.

We did so and the room they showed us was a suite room with a king sized bed. The room had not been renovated like the first room, but we graciously accepted the room and thanked them for their help. Problem solved.

The facilities are good. The pool looks great from a distance. But, it has a rough floor and the paint is chipped in large areas.

We only ate breakfast there and the buffet was quite good. We were very happy with the service here.

Upon checkout I was asked to wait while house keeping checked the room for any mini bar purchases. That is normal. I had drank a can of coke the night before so I had 50 pesos ready to pay the front desk. After 10 minutes the staff member presented me with a bill for 150 pesos. I asked what the extra 100 was for. She stated it was for a broken glass. I informed her that the glass in question was cracked when we got to the room. There were 3 other glasses in the room and only my fiance and I in the room, so I did not need to use it. She stated she would have to call maintenance. I told her that I was leaving and gave her my 50 pesos. The problem I had with that issue was she had not bothered to ask me about the glass, just wrote out the bill and presented it to me. If we had broken a glass 100 pesos would not have been a problem. So something so small, changed my view from average to poor.

Room Tip: You must check all items in the room for breakage before accepting it.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank goossey123
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed May 1, 2013

I have been in and out of this hotel for some 15 years with stays more than 15 times, but only until recently. But now no more. It became a terrible hotel!!!! They have gradually been sliding more and more down in quality on everything. As long as they can make fast money on people, they never mind concerning what they ought to offer for the guests of the standard.
The management and reception staff, as well as reservation office ought to change their mind and underpants! Certain old time staff has become unpleasant to the guests (I am the king/queen here attitude), and the kitchen don't care any more. I was food poisoned and sick in bed for several days (but hd to pay the bill) and they don't fire those bad staff, even guests complain. - it is time to fire this kind of staff and get people who like to provide service and standard.
Some frieds would reserve room for me and called Wenda in reservation, but got this reply: "We have no time for guests who expect any normal standard. Now we focus on having Korean students coming here and we arrange English language courses for them to make money this way. We are not interested in guests who expect the usual," Yes this was told by a lady called Wenda, who have been at the hotel reservation for some 200 years.
Also now they rent out their swimming pool for the local Philippino noise-children's swimming classes, so the hotel guest find it hard to use because of no space and time. Strange priority by the hotel! Money and income on anything is obviously a religion here now a days.

It used to be such a nice hotel, but those days are long gone. Today is is like "a body without soul", or should I say "just a money machine". Very sad, it could be so good!

Room Tip: Find an otheer hotel in Cebu.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank GADE1
Antipolo City, Philippines
Reviewed May 1, 2013

I first stayed at Montebello Villa back in 1996, staying overnight on a business trip in Cebu. I was impressed by the hotel back then and even had a dip at the pool after returning from meetings. I remember the food was good and the staff were kind and helpful. On a recent trip to Cebu, I booked another overnight at the hotel where I attended a workshop. I found the hotel homey and the breakfast buffet good. The front desk staff were kind and efficient. However, my observation is that the pool can be quite crowded and the hotel needs some updating for its rooms.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank d0ctrine
Reviewed April 30, 2013 via mobile

Montebello is not just a typical villa hotel. It's homey ambiance and obscure location makes it an interesting place to stay. It's rustic spanish style structure matched with a spacious lush garden right in the heart of the city is already a treat for those who want a relaxing stay. They have spacious rooms accompanied by nice and friendly staff making your whole stay a lot more pleasant. There's a big mall right at the entrance, a badminton center and perfectly sized pools for every age. But the most attractive feature of Montebello is the value for money. Its
actually very cheap compared to many luxurious hotels. And if that's not enough reason for you to come back, perhaps the sumptuous menu prepared and cooked just like home will!

• Stayed April 2013
2 Thank Dolephi
Charlottesville, Virginia
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Decor was old. Usual charming Filipino hospitality was strained. Rooms were dark, dingy and had bugs (centipede and ants). Pool area was great but was overrun with locals on weekends who apparently have "membership". Breakfast buffet usually ran out and wasn't replaced promptly, fruit offering was limited, although special dinner offerings with fresh seafood was exceptional. Heavy European presence. Overall, needs a facelift and some inner cleaning and upgrades. No gym but great free wifi. In the middle of Cebu so easy to get around. Staff needs to improve customer service to get better ratings but for the price, it was still average.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank claudeorclod
Quezon City
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Its a sprawling city hotel. Although the place has been in operation for a long time, it has maintained its homey atmosphere. It has lots of pocket gardens, rooms that are spacious and pools for kids and adults to enjoy.

Room Tip: If you are not on a budget, choose the villa that has direct access to the pool area.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family