“good customer service but the hotel is terrible”
Review of Express Inn

Express Inn
Ranked #66 of 92 Hotels in Cebu City
Reviewed April 10, 2013

I have just come back from Cebu and stayed in this hotel for 10 days as it came as flight and hotel deal.
On the first day I arrived, I was allocated room 308 and this didnot have hot water. After a 19 hours flight from london all I needed was a nice shower and some sleep. The room was dirty and the bins had not been emptied. The reception tried to sort out the shower but still it was not working. They agreed to change me to another room the folowing day
I was allocated room 411 which was ok every morning after shower, the water would run to the adjourning toilet and so the floor was always wet
The hotel gave me 2 mats but unless you asked for them to change it, they would not do so.
The management is aware that the bathroom are a mess and are not doing anything about it. They should have the room cleaned every day and especially the bathroom as wet mats can cause some smell.

The travel agency advertised for continental breakfast but are not aware that it only consists of one egg, two toasts and 3 small fruit slices. You have a choice to have only cofee or juice and you have to ask for cutlery. The breakfast was always cold and several times,I had to return it back to be warmed.
Overall, this hotel should be rated a 1 star for the location and staff but they need to do a lot of maintenance work to even be a 2 star!
The rooms are tiny and no tiling on the floor . The hotel is only one year old but due to lack of cleaning, it looks like 5-10 years old and I would not return to this hotel

Room Tip: no tip, sorry! I would advise you to avoid it if you want a nice holidays
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank pover

Reviewed March 12, 2013

We stood for 3 nights in Express Inn, Mabolo. Nobody told us that all Standard rooms are facing the street. The noise was beyond all bearing with all the traffic and honks all the night (jeepney stop direct in front). So my first night was without any chance to sleep and rest. The floor construction in the (MINI)-bathroom is totally wrong so that after my shower not only the bathroom was flooded but the water was already in the room. And at best - the water stood there the whole night.
Next morning after my complaining the reception staff moved me in another room. They told me it's an upgrade to a higher class. The different iwas just ca 2 sm. The situation in this bathroom (0,5 sm bigger then this in standard room) was only a bit better. After showering I call the housekeeping for drying this bath room because I was not willing to dry it up with the gown I had to wear. The room guy was very nice, helpfull and he told me that always guests complaining. But the management is not willing to solve this problem.
I talked to 2 other guests in this hotel and learned that this problem is more or less in other rooms the same.
So my final result is never to book this hotel again even if the location is very good. And even if I know that the price is low there are a lot more hotels for this money and much more quiet and comfortable.

Room Tip: Better to look for another hotel!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank travelmouse_13
Reviewed March 10, 2013

The "excellent" must be put into perspective. It's excellent because it's 1) cheap, 2) very close to Mactan airport--The rooms are clean, aircon works, it has a small onsite restaurant. It's good for a late arrival or a jump off point to catch the plane the next day.

Express In is a three story hotel with tiny rooms. I've stayed there twice. No bedbugs, the rooms are clean, the line and mattress satisfactory and sleep quality is good. I used to enjoy Tune Hotel but they recently added a hidden 20% (they used to include service/vat via Agoda--now they add it) making Tune less of a bargain.

The onsite restaurant is ok though they advertised a great deal of dishes at good prices, none of which was available--huh? Service was adequate. Express is in a sort of seedy part of town and you're rather stuck there--but then as a one-night-stand, who cares? The front desk will get a taxi for you in about 5 minutes. Like another one of the rooms had a plugged shower drain--but nasty drains seems iconic for the Philippines for some reason. The shower worked well. All in all I'm happy that it's there and recommend it.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 17, 2013

I booked a two night's stay here (double room w/ ensuite) through Agoda for a total of php2400, breakfast included. A reasonable rate for Cebu, and worth it since I booked on such short notice.

Despite the name, Express Inn is less of an inn and more of a hotel. The helpful staff tells me they have only been open for less than a year, so everything was pleasantly new and very clean. My room was reasonably spacious, the bed was comfortable, and the bathroom even had a rainshower head.

It is a budget hotel though, and it comes with the usual cons like having really small and cheap toiletries, and you had to hang a sign on the door of your room if you want to have it cleaned, otherwise the housekeeping wouldn't bother. Nevertheless, I'm glad a lot of comfortable and efficient budget hotels like this are becoming more popular, and Express Inn is no exception. Plus, the location was good, near a lot of cheap eateries and a walkable distance from SM.

All in all, a highly recommended stay for the budget-conscious traveler.

Room Tip: Keep an eye out for the inn's sign, since it's a little small. Also, tell the taxi driver th...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed December 11, 2012

I stayed at the ExpressInn two weeks ago, early December2012. Indeed it is a real budget accommodation and one should not expect more at the rates they are charging. I also had some issues w the shower head, but the staff was superfriendly and helpful and accommodating (came to fix the shower head in less than 10 minutes - not sure the Ritz can do it any faster). The location is perfect between the Ayala Ctr and the SM Megamall. I would recommend to the hotel though to provide a cover for the blanket, currently the blankets have no changeable cover and who knows who used them before you, this seems to be pretty basic , it is silly to charge an extra 50p for something as basic as a blanket cover. If you need a clean and efficient place centrally located at a budget price then this is the place for you.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed December 2, 2012

Before I start let me stress that I have worked at Senior Management in Hotels in London and Central America for over 12 years. I now live and work in the Philippines and, having traveled extensively round SE Asia, am used to staying in hotels of all levels but have never before felt compelled to write a bad review.
My first impression of this little place were good. However when I went for breakfast the first morning I asked for extra bacon as it did not come with my "included breakfast". I waited realistically (people tend to exaggerate at this point) 15/20 mins and when it arrived everything was stone cold, scrambled eggs and toast, except for the bacon. I asked them to warm it up and they did. Every morning they brought me breakfast without cutlery and I had to ask for it.

I then asked Reception for an extra top sheet, there is a blanket but I like a sheet underneath it. They advised me it would cost and extra 50 pesos, to which I agreed. I returned from work and the sheet was not there, so I advised the Receptionist who repeated the extra cost 50 pesos. I said I already knew and had already agreed. She apologised and told me the sheet would be there when I return later. It WAS NOT and I never received it.

You could be forgiven for thinking these issues are relatively minor in a country that struggles to come to terms with Customer Service but here's the final straw. On Check Out I asked if I could speak with the Manager, who was sitting in a small office behind the desk (there was even a small window separating the two areas). The Receptionist went into the office and returned to tell me the Manager couldn't speak with me because he was busy. I told her that I do not accept that and that I wanted to speak with him immediately. She was visibly terrified at the thought of relaying this message to her Manager so I assured her that she, personally, had done nothing wrong but I insist on speaking with him. I told her that if he doesn't come out to talk to me I will go into his office to talk to him.

The Receptionist entered the office again and returned to reiterate that the Manager was too busy to come and talk to me. Assuming that he could hear me through the window I expressed my dissatisfaction that he could not be bothered to come out of his office to talk to a disgruntled Guest. I said that I would never stay there again, never recommend it to anyone and would instruct my Company never to send anyone there again, which I have done.

I then went to enter a Taxi waiting outside the Hotel and was stopped by an armed Security Guard, who stood in my way and told me I could not take that Taxi as mine was on it's way. I had to push him out of my way to get into the Taxi.

This is an example of how you should not Manage a Hotel. The Manager here, whoever he is, should be absolutely ashamed of himself. All of this could have been avoided if he could have been bothered to get off his axxe and come to speak with me for 5 mins. I hops he and his Bosses read this, though I do not expect any of them have it in them to even bother to write a Management Response. You are useless Express in Management. Never again.....

Room Tip: Ask for one that has a working shower drain so your room does not flood every time you wash!!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Nicholas C
Reviewed November 26, 2012 via mobile

I visited Cebu from November 23 - 26. I stayed overnight in this hotel overnight from the 25th till the following day.

Upon check in, I was impressed since the lobby was small but was very clean. They were all smiles. My partner and I were tired since we came from buying pasalubong. They told us that 980 included accomodation and buffet for the next day. I got super excited since for 980 it included accomodations for 2 with buffet.

We went up and the room was ready except that there were no towels, so I requested for 2.

Tge following day, we still did not get the towels I requested. Moreso, breakfast was not buffet instead continental which included eggs, bread and a choice of coffee or juice. So I went to the reception and asked why there is no buffet, they said that they did not have buffet since Nov 1.

I asked for the manager and I had to wait 30 minutes for the manager to talk to me. The receptionist insisted that she was the OIC and she cant do anything about it. After sometime, the manager talked to me and she saw how frustrates I was and disappointed. My point was, if you tell/promise something to your customer... DO IT. She said she's gonna do something, but upon following up, front desk said she left.

We left the hotel frustrated and super disappointed. You can try their service and end up feeling the.same way. :(

• Stayed: November 2012