“A must see for Filipinos” 4 of 5 bubbles

and up
Mactan-Cebu Twin City tour with Round-Trip Transport
Ranked #1 of 110 things to do in Cebu City
More attraction details
Owner description: This famous church dates back to the early Spanish colonial era.
Manila, Philippines
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“A must see for Filipinos”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012

The kids were able to see the replica of the cross that Ferdiand Magellan brought in 1521 when they set foot in the Philippines. They study history and so they were able to appreciate the place where it all happened. Nothing extraordinary but really a must for local tourists like us.

Visited September 2012

davao city
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“excellent to pray”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2012

peace and one on one to him. i love to go back there with my family. santo nino is well known and i devoted to him. praise God

Manila, Philippines
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“For Religious People”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2012

For those who love churches this is one that must not be missed. very classic looking church and you get the feel of the city.

Visited September 2012
UK
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Place of worship I visit every time”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2012

I always make sure to drop by this place when am in Cebu, I just feel serenity after visiting this place. .

cebu city
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“A MUST SEE FOR CATHOLIC & NON CATHOILIC, ANY TOURIST!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2012

The great little Basilica - Catholic Church. Located in the heart of the city...It is easy to get to. Almost every terminal and mall have direct jeepney's to Sto. Nino. Te many statues and colors are amazing. This is real authentic art work and sculpture reflecting the great Cathoilic tradtions, stories, miracles, and myths. Where the story begins and ends, and where the myths begin no one knows. But, the loyal local faithfuls are serious in thier devotion to the Catholic faith. On most afternoons rain or shine the Church is near 1/2 full. They request that you turn your cell phones off and keep as quiet as possible - allowing all to reflect on life and THE LORD. At times it can be humid and stuffy inside but tourist should proceed up front and take a pew near the fans. Being close to the fans will help/ aid your experience and comfort. Side fans are not turned on until close to Mass time 5:30 pm week days. Or, unless it's one of those real hot days. The peddlers can be a bit over whelming. To eliminate the peddlers do 3 things...1.) Carry a bottle of water....that will elimate all the water vendors soliciting you. Half the time their water isn't cold anyway. Nothing worst than paying top dollar for luke warm water..."yuck!" Next, 2.) Carry a CANDLE or two in you hands. The hundreds of candle sellers are the most aggressive and annoying bunch. The are or look like poor dissheveled looking older ladies...Because they are so many the tend to get in your face aggressive. They'll see you with a candle and then descend upon you like vulchers upon red meat. They start anywhere from a one block radius from the Basilica. If you come out of the Jollibee hamburger joint a 1/2 block from the Church you'll see them scoutng you. I found is I keep two candles next to my umbrella and take them out & and carry them - upon getting close to the church, they leave me alone. Lastly, the sweat towel salesmen will try to sell you are sweat rag...towel. So, if you carry your water bottle and candles and have a sweat towel hanging from your belt or fanny pack you walk right through without being followed or pestered. These three things will eliminate 75% of the vendors...peddlers. You can't escape the food vendors or the real beggars (cripples) very sad. But, that's part of the reflecting that will tug at your heart. But, the kids are trained early to use their youth and skills to tug on your heart strings. They always look dirty (like it's take 3 baths to get them clean) but, many are kinda trained actors. One little girl dressed in a pretty dress all grubby and soiled came up to me ansd said:"Papa! Papa!!, Papa!!! Finally, I looked down and she said: "hungry!" Then, out of the corner of my eye I saw her other hand behind her dress. I took another step and she blocked my way: "hungry"...But, when she blocked me I saw she was holding a 1/2 eaten hotdog behind her back...I looked at her and she said: "hungry!" Then, I pointed to her back and the half eaten hot dog. She gave me a little Cheshire cat smile and let me pass. The are trained to spot Americans and other tourists and beg them for money. It's a gray area as to who is really poor and who are cons and scams? I saw one little girl and boy walking in front of me out of the church area...I followed behind them; and they went 3 blocks from the church past the Catherdral (another) church near to the basilica, and on the way seemed to ask money from tourists; then to a park I always go to sit and relax. They sat on a small wall by the park. I was just about to go when a nice SUV pulled up and the grubby kids jumped in like they knew the driver all their lives? Was that their parent? Why did they get into that nice vehicle? I thought they were poor beggars...Where they little cons...scammers...sure seemed like it. All in a days work for them? But, The basilica is a great place to reflect and pray...light a few candles. There is a common candle area by the outer court "comfort Rooms"...Comfort Room is the nice way Filippinos say: "Bath room" - "toliet". You can just put you donation in the slot and take a small donut shaped candle...light it and pray. I think the church directly gets that money...cuz, it's lock box...honor system style. Usually, one or two pesos is good for a candle. Then avail yourself of the comfort room either before or after. That way when you go into the church you can relax and pray....without discomfort. If you take a taxi or jeepney you'll need a "pit-stop" (Comfort Room) break to make it enjoyable. I usually, light my candles and pray first; then, comfort room, then go into the main Church for an hour of prayers. That works best for me. I've been to Sto. Nino 25 x times before I wrote this review. Near the Basilica is Magellan's Cross and a real nice bakery coffee shop to hang out in. They have great ice coffee. If you want the full journey...experience you really must queue in line and walk the kinda cat-a-comb (catacomb maze) snaking around the church into a tunnel towards the "ST. NINO" ....YOU WILL WALK THE :30 minute walk to get your moment to pay your respects to the Mother and Child (St. Nino). You can position yourself in front St. Nino and pray to it inside the church.You will see the endless line of devotees parading by. This spot is not easy to get. You can take a spot farther from the Mother and CHILD and as folk leave their spots-positions move up. The wait may be long and spots farther back will not get Air blow from the fans...You might be drenched in sweat by the time you move up to fan relief level. ingyou own wrist fans can and will help a bunch. But, that's a great place to pray. Non-peak times and early morning or later is best for easy access to this great reflective- pensive spot. Of, course lunch times, rainy days, holidays are hard times and high peak hours to try to gain this exclusive seating...on the upper left side of the alter - right in front of the STO. NINO....Many devout will get a spot here and stay 3-5 hours in deep prayer...one girl's mother had died and she was their everyday for many hours for nine (9) days. 9 is a "NOVENA" in Catholicism and Fridays are "Novena" day...time. Fridays is the busiest day in my opinion. Weekends and holidays are packed...jam packed too (also). Week days are the best...before lunch or between luch and supper. I think they close the Church at dark...about 7 pm...unless it's a holy day or ? I was shuffled out around 7 pm with my date and I thought we could go to the Bakery but it was closed at 7 pm too. It's a great place to meet and take a date. All the Catholic girls know the place and want to come there. I just tell them to meet me at the Jollibees across from Sto. Nino and they get an easy jeepney...We eat a bite at Jollibees and go to the church...then, go to the bakery and talk. It's fun, low pressure, cost effective, and safe place to meet the first time...on a first date. It's better then bar hopping. I really like the Basilica a lot!

3 Thank jerichocrow