“Not much to see”

$55.00*
Half-Day Cebu City Tour
Ranked #7 of 118 things to do in Cebu City
More attraction details
Owner description: This is the spot where Ferdinand Magellan planted a cross in the soil in 1521 and claimed the Philippines for Spain.
Reviewed August 13, 2014

The building is damaged from the last earthquake. Lots of old ladies trying to sell you candles which is annoying.
But since it is right beside the snata Nino basical church, its worth a look.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,389)

Reviewed August 9, 2014 via mobile

I've been wanting to visit Cebu because back when I was a pupil in my earlier days, Magellan's cross was a popular page in one of my history books. I was quite disappointed when I went here because my expectations were not meant. My imagination of this shrine was grand and spectacular. It actually looks elusively big in the photos but in reality it is not. Generally, I like how history bestowed its greatness in this shrine. I hope it will be maintained by the government to preserve its beauty and historical value. There is no entrance fee for this shrine and what's more amazing is that the Sto. Niño Basilica is just few steps away.

1  Thank AbbyTanch
Reviewed August 7, 2014

the oldest cross brought by spanish magellan to colonized the philippines. it is well preserved. be sure to get ready your camera and video it is located beside the basilica church of st. nino.

1  Thank limcontravel
Reviewed August 4, 2014

You won't see the original cross as its being encased by an outer one. The ceiling mural is pretty. You will be slightly harassed by people selling candles but you can easily ignore them if you don't want to offer the candles in prayer.

Reviewed August 1, 2014

It is in a very small building set apart in a square. The paintings on its roof are attractive, and the story behind the cross makes it interesting to see. Was in the area visiting the Carbon Market and stopped by. Glad I did, but happy I didn't make a special journey to that part of town particularly for it.