“Just ok for me” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #11 of 85 Hotels in Cebu City
Tampa
“Just ok for me”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

The outside of the hotel looks grand and the common area is very nice, but the rooms were a little plain.

Small CRT TV (not flat screen). Had trouble getting the room cool and am not too sure the thermostat actually controlled the room temp.

The casino looked dingy to me, and in need of remodelling, but there looked to be some low limits on play.

The breakfast at UNO was very good with good service.

Check in/out took too long... I may try somewhere else next time in Cebu.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

I was with my brother when we went to waterfront. My brother went to the casino, and I waited at the guests launge, while waiting I was really relax by their nice music, wifi is very stable, friendly and cool staff.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Paul Jay s
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Waterfront for business. The hotel room was a standard style room with tv, bed, desk table and table and chairs. We overlooked Cebu. No waterfront view though which it's name was a little misleading. The Foyer was magnificent. The staff were attentive to our needs. The pool was a nice place to relax. I liked it when the waterfall was on. They have a duty free shopping area, gym and a beauty salon. The business centre staff were helpful. Concierge weren't very helpful but the security guards were more helpful. Staff didnt have a great knowledge of the hotel and facilities as I asked one about the beauty salon and they didn't know. I asked the security they knew. The restaurants are fantastic probably the best thing about the hotel. The breakfast buffets were large and the staff extremely helpful always remembering what we liked. Victor in the breakfast area was fantastic he knew everything we liked and how we wanted things we never had to ask him for anything we were there for two weeks and he made us feel so welcomed. Towards the end the hostess at the front wouldn't let him take us to his section. Which I found rather rude. I know that she was just trying to share the tips around but the reason he got such large tips was because he was so good at his job.

• Stayed October 2012
2 Thank Princesschaos
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

I stayed at the hotel for 14 nights in May this year (2013). I have rated this hotel as average in my overall rating simply because when compared to the many hotels of this standard in Cebu, this place just does not measure up and I left after 2 weeks feeling a bit disappointed.

OK why was I disappointed?

1) Rooms are still quite run down and dated and the standard of finish in my room was appalling for a hotel of this standard. (See my photos). A very outdated and very small TV in the room.
2) Prostitutes plying their trade in the hotel lobby area. I was approached a number of times as a single male guest staying alone. I know it is not easy for the management to stop as the hotel attracts a large crowd of non-guests who come to use the casino, restaurants, conference rooms and gymnasium.
3) Breakfast is buffet style and has something for even for the most picky eaters, it is very sumptuous. However if you are staying there for more than one or two days you realize that there are some problems. Fresh fruit is restricted to mango, pineapple, melon and papaya every morning and the mango often disappears quite quickly unless you get there early. Never once in 14 days did I see apples, grapes, strawberries or bananas and after a few days I was bored with the fruit selection. a complete lack of imagination by the catering manager.
4) On three occasions I had to complain about the oatmeal which had not been prepared correctly and was like water.
5) Although the breakfast is self service, you are shown to your seat and waiters will take orders for coffee, water etc. This service was not consistent, some mornings I had attentive service and other mornings I was left to fend for myself.
6) I soiled one of my room towels with blood (from a small nose bleed). Room service wanted to charge me 1900 pesos for cleaning the towel. That is around £30 or $43 and a complete rip off. I told room service to give me back the towel and I had it cleaned for 100 pesos in a local laundry.
7) The outdoor swimming pool is pleasant but the staff were a bit abrupt when I brought two guests to use the pool, telling me I was only entitled to bring one person. I was told I would have to pay for the third guest.
8) The gym is great with everything a serious gym goer could need but it gets very crowded in the evenings and weekends as it is also open to the general public.

One particular day the management (in their wisdom) decided to introduce a new system for taxis. Taxis were only allowed to drop off at reception by the main entrance but those wishing to take a taxi had to walk a considerable distance to the basement area where a new waiting station had been created for passengers. The problem was that this new system had not been very well advertised to the taxis or the hotel staff. On this particular day we had a torrential downpour creating a massive demand for taxis. I was told to wait in the basement and after 30 minutes of waiting and not seeing a taxi I returned to the lobby to see guests getting in and out of taxis like before. I complained to the doorman who just shrugged his shoulders and said "I am sorry sir"

The good points about this hotel is that the food is generally of a high standard, the room service is faultless and reception area and lobby are truly impressive. Facilities are generally good and both Ayalla and SM Malls are within walking for those who don't mind walking in the heat.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank Morteeman
AUCKLAND, NEW ZEALAND
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2013

Our second stay and were here this time 5 nights.

The hotel is very central. 5 minute taxi to Ayala shopping centre. 5 minute taxi to Crossroads where Cebu's best restaurants are located. Across the road from I.T. Park.Everything we needed was close by.

The renovation of the lobby is great.It seems more spacious. My only criticism there is not enough seats for people waiting in the lobby. They are dedicated to the lobby bar and seats there seem always to be empty.

We go for a deluxe room. Never anything but good.spacious, great bed, clean, tea/coffee facilities. In room safe. Really good rooms and not much more expensive than superior rooms.

The food outlets at this hotel are excellent.
The breakfast is great. Big buffet with a huge selection. Get a rate with breakfast included.
Gourmet alley we used a lot. Gondala for italian, Mizu for Japanese, madaleines for great coffee and cakes and slices.

The hotel and outlet staff are always excellent.
Professional, friendly and helpful.

This time I went upstairs and checked out the Casino. It was well patronized and people were enjoying themselves.

We will stay again on our next visit to Cebu. For us it is the only place to stay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Manila, Philippines
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights, the hotel room is showing a bit of age they may consider renovation like what they did with the lobby, the location is definitely an advantage, it's close to IT Park no need to take a cab there's a lot of good restaurant there.

This time we brought my mom with us and since she's into slot machines she love the fact that she just need to go down to the Casino.

Overall, our stay is pleasant as always will definitely come back. :)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
dauin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

Been staying at the Waterfront for some years. Keep going back because it is a grand place in many ways. I'm not sure that the remodel of the lobby goes with the decor of the rest of the hotel(actually I really liked the old lobby a lot. It was truly grand) But the rooms, breakfast buffet, swimming pool and location are all great. All in all a good value for the money.

The one change that I really do not like is the Taxi policy of having to line up on the lower level, long walk that makes no sense and seems to discourage drivers from coming in for pick ups. Can be a considerable wait.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business