“Prostitution center & imperfect premises”

Waterfront Cebu City Hotel & Casino
Ranked #11 of 91 Hotels in Cebu City
Reviewed September 25, 2011

I was staying there for three days this September. I had booked this hotel because it looked really close to Cebu city and with easy access to all facilities. I had booked a suite (5.6 K in PHP with a reduction on their site). However, for a high-level hotel, the prostitution taking place in this hotel is just scandalous: vulgar prostitutes in the lobby, disgusting scenes with their (mostly Koreans) customers... The personnel turns a blind eye to this, and you wonder who's getting a cut of this immoral business. Management seems comfortable with this and that's a reason I won't be returning to this hotel anytime soon.

In addition, although the premises were quite comfortable, the airco was not working in the bedroom, and the phone kept ringing without anybody calling me (explanation was they upgraded their phone center and had some glitches).

The lobby bar had terribly awful prices (about 100 PHP for a San Miguel light, or 75 PHP for a glass of milk!). The breakfast buffet is excellent, and very well furnished though, but the personnel at Uno café smiles with parcimony (not to say not at all), at the point that you wonder if they hate the customers...

The business center then... is expensive. 49.5 PHP just to print ONE page of paper. Considering the huge price paid for the room you would expect these services to be free at least.

In short, for less than that, you could have better premises, better service and a cleaner environment. Definitely not a place for families, unless you want to explain your children what is prostitution.

Room Tip: I chose a junior suite, but avoid that unless you're a smoker: all the suites are on a smoker fl...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
11  Thank FreeMindXs
There are newer reviews for Waterfront Cebu City Hotel & Casino

Reviewed September 9, 2011

I have stayed at the Waterfront before and wrote review(s), and after my most recent stay I will write one again:

Booking
I made the booking directly with the hotel and got a better deal then at the various hotel booking sites coz I opted for "long stay." something that I have not been able to do via agora and hotelbooking.com and the likes. It took a bit of convincing with the booking dept to book with them for a specific amount coz for the lower rates they refer you to the various booking sites. That is a policy I never understood but it did not cost me much trouble to get a price as low as the lowest price mentioned on the internet, but then for a 'better' or 'higher' room.
Booking process in the end was quite simple and the booking dept was quite helpful.
I received by mail for the long stay from Mr Jerry Santos from their commercial dept. Santos was very friendly, helpful and efficient.

Arrival+check in
Always a pleasure to arrive at the hotel. Friendliness of staff is great. Check in was fairly quick and though the hotel has a 'rooms available by 2 pm' policy, I already received mine early, directly upon check in. As I do not like creditcards that much, I left a deposit in Euro's at the cashier for an amount that was sort of my hotelbill.

Room
A Deluxe, spacious, fresh and clean. Sufficient amenities. Good, be it somewhat small bathroom with a bath. Good towels. Clean, marble.
Bed: kingsize, very spacious. Good matrass, slept like a rose.
Room not noisy at all as a matter of fact very quiet.
Aircon: perfect. fresh air, no sign of any stuffyness. Cools very well, very quickly
Room has a frige stocked with juice and softdrinks and has a tray with small bottles of liquor and snacks. Like in any hotel, these are a bit pricy so i never used them.
Furniture: desk, two tables. TV closet, clothes closet and suitcase table.
Chairs and tables are decent, not opulent but decent and classy. I would have liked to have at least one armchair though instead of the regular no-arms four-legs, but other than that the chairs were reasonably comfy.
TV: big, with plenty of channels.
Wi-Fi: free!!. Sometimes a bit slow though (but very doable) and sometimes had to reconnect. However, Free internet is a big bones (compare the Diplomat Hotel that charges I think 60 php for an hour).
In Room Safe: Though I have never lost anything that was left outside the safe. It is a good feeling to have a safe available in the room
Housekeeping: Frienly guys and girl that are always willing to help. Some are sometimes a bit shy in English which may lead to some communication problems but nothing serious. They do their work promptly.

Ambiance: beautiful hotl inside and out. Lobby is under reconstruction but this hardly causes any problem. It is a huge lobby.

Restaurants: The hotel has several in house restaurants. I have only used the Uno for breakfast and the one upstairs for dinner every once and a while.
Uno restaurant breakfast. Breakfast was included in my daily rate. Very friendly staff. Breakfast is copious buffett style. I heard someone remark in his review that 'it is the same every day'. Aprt from the fact that that is not entirely true, there is so much that you do not have to eat the same every day: choose from:
Salads, cereal, fruit or sandwiches for cold breakfast, or a hoist of warm breakfasts like soups, fish, rice, meat dishes, warm potato dishes such as torte or gratin or just fried patatoes. Scranbled eggs, boiled eggs, omelets, veggies etc.!
Top off with a variety of fruit juices (mango, orange, watermelon, pineapple) or coffe/tea together with cookies, muffins, donuts.
I was pleased to see that teh general manager of the hotel had his breakfast there as well, sampling the various dishes from day to day. I am sure that keeps the quality up.

The upstairs restaurant ( I think it was called Fortuna) has a hoist of western and Filipino dishes. Quality is good, so are the amounts. The staff is very friendly but it seems to go a bit slow, even if there are only a few tables occupied. Anyway, they serve enough and a doggie bag is not a problem should you so wish.

Room service
Again. Friendly staff. When a guest I had liked a dish she saw in a picture in the menu, but without a name. The room-service waiter promptly came over to have a look at he picture to identify the dish. Quality and speed of delivery was very satisfactory.

Door policy
Going in and out of the hotel is a feast with 2 uniformed ladies bidding you goodbye or welcoming you back. Like in any hotel or mall in the phils there is a security upon coming in in which bags are checked. But like anywhere in the Phils, foreigners are whisked through, whereas locles regularly have their bags quickly inspected.

Taxi's
Taxi stand right outside the hotel, still on the grounds. The hotelstaff is efficient in running the taxistand. Helped in and out taxi's and they will quickly scan your seat to see if you forgot anything in the cab.

Shuttle bus
The hotel has a shuttle bus going to ayala and sm shopping malls that goes I think 2x a day (I only took the 10 am one).
They also have I believe an airport shuttle that in some promo's is included in the hotelrate, but I have not used it.

Pool and Garden
Very pleasant to be. Both formed a nice backdrop for photography and the water is surely inviting on a hot day.

Gym
I have seen a spacious gym, but I have not used it.

General attitude
The general attitude of the staff is a friendly, helpfull, 'can do' attitude. As I did modelphotography I asked to be allowed to use the now closed 'international casino' as a decor. That was no problem at all. I am sure if I had asked to send someone to my room to carry the photogear down there they would have.

Concierge was very helpfull with tips on where to go or where to find things and would propose alternatives if he tought I'd better not go somewhere (like carbon market-did anyway though).

Surroundings. Though the hotel is not situated smack in the middle of shops such as the various hotels in midtown or around Fuente Osmena, there is IT park within walking distance. There is a variety of shops there including a Jollibee, a McDonalds, a KFC, a Starbucks and a pharmacy.

Ayala, where everyone goes to look and be seen is a quick taxi ride away.

Overall impression:
Like usual very good. It is no coincidence that I keep coming back. I have stayed in the Marco Polo (when it was still Cebu plaza) and though that is a good hotel where once the later miss Earth 2008 Karla Ginteroy Henry was part of the staff, I still find the Waterfront to have more charm and warmth.

In my taste, the waterfront is overall the best hotel in Cebu City

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
5  Thank oldtraveller110
Reviewed September 6, 2011

Arrived at lunch time, tried the buffet and it was DIVINE. So many lovely things to try and there must have been about 25 types of cakes/desserts.
Service at the front desk is very slow. Took forever to check in. They are very friendly though. Also took four times of asking to get a baby cot set up in our room. Like previous posts have mentioned, this hotel is aimed at business travellers and couples. Not very family friendly. Rooms arent very sound proof, you can hear whats going on in the room next door. Rooms aren't flash but they're not bad either.
AWESOME gym, lovely pool and great casino. We will be back, even if its just for an overnight stay.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank sarah1606
Reviewed September 5, 2011

I had the unfortunate circumstance to be booked into this nightmare of a property for two nights on my first visit to Cebu. The price per night was ridiculous and at the time of my booking they only had a twin bed room available. I can tell you as an adult woman who is 6'1" tall, I experienced my greatest nightmare spending time in a twin bed which I have not had a reason to do since I was 17 and that is a while ago.

On top of the twin beds, the room looked as though it were decorated last in the 70's with rattan furniture. Rattan? I would rather refer to it as "ratty". The room was dingy and dirty and smelled faintly of cigarette smoke which for one who doesn't smoke is neither pleasant nor enjoyable in any way.

To add insult to injury, the air conditioning in the room was not working. A call to the front desk for maintenance assistance yielded no response. They were solidly booked for a convention and I was "lucky" to have this room they replied.

A hot, dirty, smelly hotel room is not my idea of a worthwhile evening spent. To top it all off, the loud casino drove me insane. If I want a casino, I will choose Las Vegas - thank you very much!

Overall, one of the biggest nightmare experiences of my travel history. If you go, you'd better not be interested in clean and or any semblance of nice.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
5  Thank courtneyb
Reviewed August 27, 2011

Pretty good rooms, nice food, decent ambience but poor service. Our first night was a nightmare due to not getting beds that we'd booked, after many promises I had to go and track down a cot myself. This place is geared towards business travellers

• Stayed: April 2011
2  Thank simples
Reviewed August 16, 2011

We really enjoyed our stay at the Waterfront. The location is quite good right next to the Asiatown IT area, where there are lots of great food, drink, and entertainment options. The Ayala Mall is also just a 10 minute walk the other direction (although that's not such a pleasant stroll). They were doing renovations all over the hotel during our stay, and the first room we were put in was right next to a room being painted. When the paint fumes started giving us headaches, we requested a new room and were promptly moved to another one far from paint fumes.
The room was very comfortable and the hotel had all the features & amenities one would expect of a hotel of this caliber. They have a great pool area, a beautiful garden, and a huge fitness room. The breakfast buffet at the UNO cafe was also excellent.
There was only one small thing that did slightly lower my opinion of the hotel. When we requested a bottle opener, the staff member that showed up with one insisted upon opening our bottles himself and refused to leave the opener with us for the duration of our stay. Since we didn't want to constantly be calling for bottle opening service every time we wanted a bottle opened, we had to go out and buy our own bottle opener. Did they not trust us to leave the opener or return it when we checked out? Did the hotel have a bottle opener shortage? Or maybe they simply wanted to encourage us to drink their canned mini-bar drinks that did not require an opener. Regardless of their reasons, I thought it quite odd. Whenever I've requested a bottle opener at other hotels, one has simply been loaned to me for the duration of my stay. Not the case with the Waterfront. Since we were able to find a bottle opener to buy without too much trouble, it was just a tiny inconvenience, and that really was my only complaint about my stay at the Waterfront though. The Waterfront was, by far, the most comfortable hotel I've stayed at in the Philippines.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Mark S
Reviewed August 8, 2011

The good
- theres a casino (however, when i went there, all the slot machines were being repaired)
- 24 hour gym (nice to know there is beautiful looking gym there, however I was not able to use it because it was being renovated)
- complimentary buffet breakfast (food is pretty much the same everyday though)
- beautiful outdoor swimming pool (goes 8 foot deep)
- fast elevators
- friendly employees
- free shuttle service to Ayala and SM malls

The bad
- Room could be better. TV needs some updating.
- furnitures look old
- only two complimentary breakfast per room
- complimentary wifi is very slow

The ugly
- I got sick during my vacation stay here. I asked the front desk if they can give me some medicine, but they charged me for it.
- I was hoping to print some documents in there business centre, but they charged me a ridiculous price for it.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends