“Very nice hotel but the casino security staff sucked”

Waterfront Cebu City Hotel & Casino
Ranked #11 of 87 Hotels in Cebu City
Guam, Mariana Islands
“Very nice hotel but the casino security staff sucked”
Reviewed May 6, 2011

This was our first visit to this hotel as a guest and as the taxi pulled up to the front we were brimming with anticipation. We had visited the hotel twice before to swim but not as hotel guests. Upon our arrival I had to flag down someone to assist with our luggage. Initially the guy who assists with calling taxis aided and ultimately we located a bellhop. I always find it a bit of a shocker to have to walk through a metal detector especially one with security officer and his dog. I guess however they are concerned with terrorism and mayhem. So we sauntered through and proceeded to check in. Check in was flawless, quick and professional. We received our room keys with a smile. The room itself was impressive, large, tastefully decorated with a current magazine prominently displayed. The amenities were sufficient for our daily needs.

Hotel Feature Tip : Eventually we decided to do a bit of shopping which began on the first floor Duty Free Shop and ended in the mezzanine area located on the second floor and prepare for a late lunch.We also took advantage of the lovely opportunity for an impromptu photo opt for which the setting was ideal. Finally deciding to eat I had the bright idea of using the hotel ATM machine as opposed to getting the night's cash at the mall (Ayala is right down the road). This was the only sore spot of the evening, though momentary and fleeting. The ground floor ATM was off limits I was informed by a staffer due to an event (wedding) with the second located in PAGCOR (second floor). I was refused entry due to wearing a sleeveless shirt despite informing security of my sole desire to use the ATM. Discussion with the security officer and his supervisor was met with polite but firm refusal. Getting a tad bit annoyed by there unwillingness to even consider thinking out of the box. I reported this silly rule to the first floor Guest Relations Officer who informed me that a report would be generated to the duty manager and we were allowed to proceed to the event hall

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Angelescitypi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Perth, Australia
Reviewed May 5, 2011

I went with a large group for my friends wedding but travelling alone. The foyer is great and seems lively with a live band during the night which made it great to walk through. Didn't manage to get to the casino. The price is very expensive even with breakfast included. There was no free wifi which is a basic standard even for 4 star hotels which this did not offer. I could only get wifi in the main foyer which was again expensive. The only main issue I had was I was out with my female friend coming back to the hotel and the hotel staff stopped me and thought she was a hooker or something. I kept telling them it was my friend locally who would be attending the wedding. This ruined my whole week there as the room was booked for 2 adults and I was the only person staying. Overall I would reccomend the hotel but the incident with the night staff not letting my friend stay dissapointed me :(

• Stayed November 2010
3 Thank wickedguy333
Reviewed April 29, 2011

We'd seen rooms available, so turned up at this hotel without a booking- we were told they were fully booked except for their executive suite at a pricey 280 dollars. So we went to the business lounge, used the computer and booked a standard room for 100 dollars (plus 8 pound for the pc use). When we went back to check in a few minutes later with our booking confirmation, we had the choice of smoking or none smoking rooms, so very suspicious that they had no standard rooms 10 mins earlier.
Food was average to below average. The lobby had a feel of a shopping centre. The safety deposit box didn't work. And as a final insult my handbag got nicked from the restaurant. We stayed at the marco polo on our first trip to Cebu, so would recommend this over the waterfront any day. Really disappointing last night to what had been a wonderful trip to the Philippines.

• Stayed April 2011
Perth, Australia
Reviewed April 22, 2011

Our expectations weren't really met considering it's a 5 star hotel. It just needs to be refurbished. Furnitures, fittings and deco needs to be upgraded.It's just old and i don't think we'd be coming back until these have been done.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AiaiMark
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed April 13, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Waterfront for 8 nights as part of our honeymoon through Philippines. We started the honeymoon in Boracay and were regretting not staying at Boracay for 3 weeks... Until we arrived at the Waterfront. The hotel has a bit of everything and for 8 nights we enjoyed every restaurant there and had every cocktail on the list. The pool area was great and not at all busy. The gym is one of the best I've ever seen in a hotel - great way to work off all those beers. It had conferences going on whilst we were there but it didn't bother us much, except for a long check-in and check-out. A nice hotel and well paying casino (!!!). Definitely recommended.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Susie_3333
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed April 12, 2011

We flew to Cebu to attend a friend's wedding. Our friend was able to negotiate discounted rates for their wedding guests. I guess for the low price that they charged, I should have managed down my expectation.

There was a convention on-going during the weekend we stayed there hence the check-in counter was chaotic when we arrived and there was a queue in the elevator! Kudos to the front desk personnel who managed to remain composed, professional and efficient.

The hotel shows signs of its age… from the elevators, room furniture, fat tv unit, dated bathroom tiles and fittings. The toiletries that they provided make you feel like you are staying in a no-frills/basic hotel. Our room had aircon problems that took them some time to fix.

Our package included buffet breakfast. Breakfast selection was extensive. The service though was not too great. It was hard to get servers’ attention and they are slow in clearing out the plates.

Overall, it is an old hotel for comfortable enough. I wouldn't pay full published rates for a stay in this place. I'd rather stay in the newer hotels should I need to go back in Cebu city.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank xenebugsy
Thessaloniki, Greece
Reviewed April 7, 2011

Went to Casino as an underager and didn't get ID'ed woohoo. Went there after a night out with the bro and just played blackjack. Was my first proper partaying experienced, got back to the hotel around 3am, played cards till 6am, then MADE the buffet breakfast which was pretty damn good.

room itself was alright, fairly basic but did the job.

Stayed May 2010, traveled with family