“Excellent service all around.”

Cebu City Marriott Hotel
Ranked #5 of 92 Hotels in Cebu City
Reviewed December 29, 2013

Very nice hotel with excellent staff, who seem genuinely happy to be working. If their smiles are fake, you would never know. They even remembered my name on a repeat visit.

Special kudos go out to Meg and Jaizza and Kristel in the Executive lounge, and Dagobert who is a most excellent roomskeeper.

All staff encountered were very good representatives of Marriott and reinforced me returning to my favorite hotel chain!

Room Tip: hi floors give a better view, overlooking the mall.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
marriottcebu, General Manager at Cebu City Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2014

Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for taking time to write a review. We highly appreciate your feedback.

We are delighted to hear about how our brilliant hosts took care of you during your visit to the hotel. We will certainly recognize them for their efforts.

We look forward to being of service to you again in the near future.

Patrick Carroll

Write a ReviewReviews (1,255)

Reviewed December 28, 2013

We got off to a bad start.

I booked a website promo which offered a US$35 hotel food and beverage credit with my booking. Despite me having the paperwork staff were not aware of the promo and made several calls to verify??? They assured me that the issue was resolved and that upon check out this wouldn't be an issue.

Upon check out guess what? It again it was questioned and took some time to verify. I had a ferry to catch to Camotes that day so was quite annoyed with the unnecessary delay. They then told me it didn't include room service beers. I argued the point as nowhere in the conditions of the promo was this stated. In the end they agreed.

Front desk staff need to be better trained to know of promos offered and need to be able to read and accept documentary evidence provided by customers. Clients shouldn't be treated as scammers.

Now for the hotel review!

The Marriott is only a 3 star hotel and was last refurbished in 2008. It needs further refurbishment. The hotel is clean but is quite dated - especially the hotel bathrooms. Not up to the standard of other Marriotts I have stayed at and is only 3 star hotel but still charge 5 star hotel rates. I paid a similar rate for the Fairmont in Makati which is a far far superior hotel.

After staying at the Marriott upon my return I stayed at the Quest Hotel which is a little more than half the price and newer. Breakfast at the Marriott is better and you don't need to cross any busy roads to get into the Ayala Mall. They are the only advantages and you pay a lot more for this.

Breakfast is from far the best I've had at a hotel but is still quite good. Lobby is great with entertainment provided and the pool is also quite dated.

I would consider the Quest Hotel for Cebu City stays in the future as it offers better value and is a more modern hotel.

Room Tip: Choose the Ayala View!
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank tommomelbourne

Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for taking time to write a review. Your feedback is important to us.

We are disappointed to hear about the inconvenience you encountered during your visit to the hotel. Rest assured we will look into it and make the necessary improvements to be of better service to you in the future.

Reviewed December 27, 2013

We arrived here early 10am for our check-in and we were immediately entertained and there was a room available so I guess we're lucky. Welcome drink to me and to my father was given when we entered this hotel.
Excellent service with courteous employees.

Marriot is the gateway to Ayala Mall. So many great restaurant to choose from; try local (cebuano) foods you'll won't regret it.

Hotel room is quite outdated but spotless. WIFI is very fast and efficient.

Lobby, cafe and pool is small

Overall: I enjoyed my stay and highly recommend this for shoppers, food enthusiast & for business trips.

• Stayed: December 2013
2  Thank pamy_arte
marriottcebu, General Manager at Cebu City Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2014

Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate you taking time to write a review.

We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay during your visit to the hotel and that our brilliant hosts were courteous and accommodating.

We hope to see you again during your future visits.

Reviewed December 25, 2013

Good place to stay here on business.

Pros: Clean rooms, friendly staff, safe, good gym, safe walk to nice mall, nice executive lounge, good selection of breakfast foods, reasonable price, free shuttle to/from airport (25 min drive)

Cons: a little noisy (not bad), small pool

Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Jerry C
marriottcebu, General Manager at Cebu City Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2014

Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for taking time to write a review. Your feedback is important to us to better serve you in the future.

We hope to see you again in your future trips to Cebu.

Reviewed December 12, 2013 via mobile

Marriott cebu city appears to be cruising on its corporate reputation. We arrived at 2 pm which was the normal check in time but we were made to wait for 1 1/2 hours before we were able to check in to our room.

We waited in the lounge area and there were dirty dishes on the tables and no attempt to clear the tables all the while we were there. It would appear to me that the hotel does not have enought staff.

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank Francis T

Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for your feedback.

Your comments are highly important to us to make the necessary improvements. We sincerely apologize for the late check-in you experienced during your arrival. Rest assured we will look into this to be of better service to you in the near future.

Reviewed November 30, 2013

I stayed here two nights, and it was comfortable. Bonus is free internet! The buffet downstairs for breakfast had traditional food. The hotel is close to Ayala Mall which had a lot of restaurants to pick from.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Valued Guest:

We highly appreciate you taking time to write a review.

We are happy to hear about your pleasant stay with us. We also take pride in having the fastest internet in the city at 60MBPS.

We hope to see you again in the near future!

Reviewed November 28, 2013

Arriving the day after the massive October earthquake, I found myself checked in at the Marriott. I booked rooms originally at Radisson Blu but due to damage we were transferred to Marco Polo which turned into a drama in itself so we ended up at the Marriott. I have to give props to all the hotels who were very cooperative in trying to meet my needs with special mention to the reception/management of Radisson Blu and Marriott hotels. They all made my transfers uneventful and painless.

The Marriott reception was all smiles when I arrived and you'd never even think that a massive earthquake just went through the islands. That is professionalism and customer service beyond. Throughout my stay I even felt guilty because these people may have suffered some personal trauma and yet here they are working and being pleasant towards me and my family.

Yes maybe some of the floor carpeting is tired but when you are walking around and the room attendants are happy and greeting you with that Cebuana/cebuano smile. You'd hardly look at the carpet. I stayed on the top floor and the city view is great I even had a glimpsed of the sea as it was that clear. I don't even remember what the carpet looks like. Besides you cant expect any hotel to have a barely touched carpeting in their public areas.

On a more important point, the girls at reception were top notch, they allowed me to have late check out at 5 PM without charging me like hello Versace Hotel at the Gold Coast Australia. I asked politely the first time I checked in because I had to catch a ferry by 7 PM. "of Course" they said with a smile and that's how they get my vote for being the best hotel in Cebu Philippines.

The breakfast buffet was plentiful with choices for everyone watching their diets or not watching their dietary intake. I was welcomed each day into the restaurant with a smile and I DIDN"T HAVE TO MAKE A reservation for it. I sat for over an hour every breakfast enjoying the hospitality and the native Filipino food delicacies. You have to try their sticky rice, its not too sweet like in some places where you'll only taste the sugar and not bland like in Thailand.

I had no problems with the internet as it was constant and I was able to have facetime work meetings in my room.

When I came back to stay at the hotel 2 weeks later for a couple of days, I tried their Gym. it was great running all the food I inhaled the last few weeks. Maybe next time I will bring a not so revealing swimsuit because the pool is very public. There isn't any nooks and crannies that you can dip and hide.

When it came to the security in all the exits entrances of the hotel, their work might be in your face and confronting to some. But for me i'd rather they all check everybody so I can sleep better. Make sure its thorough and efficient. And boy I slept like a baby up in the 10th floor in a very comfy bed after a welcome hot shower washing away the red soil of the mines of Mindanao. I only woke up when the cold of the airconditioning became unbearable. Then I realized I forgot to turn the temperature up to 24 degrees. I was like murmuring bloody Asians and their love of blizzard airconditioning LOL.

I also like their system where they give you a taxi voucher detailing the registration of the car and time for security. Apparently in Cebu most establishments practice this for safety. Thailand and Malaysia should adapt this security measures. Because it wont be amazing Thailand if you get conned by a taxi driver like we did in Bangkok.

When it was time for me to catch my flight and check out, I realized that I had no more Pesos to pay the so called "AIRPORT FEE" at Mactan so I ran to Ayala. Thank goodness it was only a short skip to the mall. So it's a big PLUS for the hotel to be right next door. Moreover, I bought some presents and stuff from the centre and the convenience of staying next door is worth every penny. For people who love shopping, then you can just go in the morning shop till you drop and bring back your shopping to your room and then go shopping some more, then have dinner at all the fancy restaurants.

I also learnt that you can get The Cebu Spa at Ayala to serve you at the hotel. I had a 4 hour treatment at the spa which I could have had done at the hotel in my room.

And you know there are times when you feel ignored when the hotel realize that its your last day. I never got that. To save me from waiting for my luggage to come down The room cleaners and attendants working the next room helped me with my luggages into the elevator. One even came with me instead of waiting for the attendants to come pick them up knowing that I was running late for my flight due to my Pesos dilemma.

That is service beyond expectations. Its there when you are not expecting it and specially when you don't realize you needed it. Just smile and they will smile back at you because Asians and specially Filipinos don't know how to react if you are grumpy they'd rather avoid you. I suppose that's the best attitude in getting the best out of people.

So guys just stay at the Marriott when you are in Cebu Philippines and tell them I sent you. And yes I will only review the best experience and the worst experience.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Naomi M

Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for taking time to write a review. We highly appreciate your feedback!

We are very happy to hear about your memorable experience in the hotel. We take pride in our brilliant hosts who provide genuine hopsitality to our guests and I will be sure to relay the message to the rest of the team.

We look forward to serving you again in one of your future visits!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cebu City
Waterfront Cebu City Hotel & Casino
Quest Hotel and Conference Center - Cebu
Shangri-La's Mactan Resort & Spa
Crimson Resort and Spa, Mactan

Been to Cebu City Marriott Hotel? Share your experiences!