“Comfortable Room, Free Wifi, Attached to Mall”

Cebu City Marriott Hotel
Ranked #5 of 89 Hotels in Cebu City
Taguig City, Philippines
“Comfortable Room, Free Wifi, Attached to Mall”
Reviewed June 27, 2012

Stayed here overnight for a business trip. Brought my husband with me. It's located right next to Ayala mall, so you can do your groceries, spa, shopping, and have your choice of restaurants there. The front desk and concierge was very helpful and considerate, despite how busy they were (there was an ongoing conference while we were there). They even offered to decrease the rate of the room we booked when they found out we would be eating breakfast elsewhere.

The room itself was comfortable and clean, if a bit worn. It had a mix of complementary and for-sale amenities. King-sized bed had a good moderately-firm mattress, with fresh high quality linen and a pillow menu. Gym facilities are pretty big, with a large assortment of machines (not that I was able to drag myself to actually exercise). They also have a business center, but I worked well enough with the free wifi in our room (we also have an office in Cebu so I didn't need to have anything faxed or printed).

Only cons were the overzealous housekeeping, who kept making roomchecks even if we were just staying overnight (first roomcheck was done 10 minutes after we first got to our room). Demeanor could have been better since it felt as if they were checking to see if we had damaged or stolen anything, rather than to see if we needed anything to be more comfortable. They were also a bit uptight with security screening at all entrances, but the security personnel were very polite about it (nothing like the TSA). The lobby also has a steady stream of human traffic at almost any hour of the day, but is to be expected of a business hotel.

Room Tip: Stay on weekends (Friday to Sunday night). Ironically, their weekend rate is lower than that during...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Cebu Island, Philippines
Reviewed June 27, 2012

If you need to be in the Cebu Business Park area, this hotel is the one for you. The Marriott is connected to Ayala Center mall via a walkway. This means that stores, restaurants, etc. are literally two minutes away by foot. Being a business hotel, stays from Mondays through Thursdays have expensive rates while Fridays through Sundays are quite reasonable (about 40% cheaper).

For this stay, I booked several rooms for us and visiting family members. When I showed up at 5 PM to check in, only 2 rooms were available. It was fine by me because we weren't going to use all the rooms at that time yet but I couldn't help but think why the rooms are still not ready 3 hours past the standard check-in time and they are not even fully booked!

With regard to the rooms, I was able to stay here several times already so the size of the room is no surprise to me. The rooms here are on the small side but it wasn't also cramped for the three (2 adults, 1 toddler) of us though. The room was clean, had a safe, iron, mini ref, flat screen TV and the bathroom had a tub. Wifi throughout the hotel was fast and free. Fast being a relative term since internet in the Philippines is kinda slow by world standards. I think the speed was around 1-2 Mbps. The room itself was okay for me but the carpets could do some deep cleaning and housekeeping should leave the tub drain open since it is a little hard to open and maybe look up too when they clean the room. A part of the ceiling in our bathroom was exposed apparently after some maintenance work was done and it was not put back properly.

The pool in this hotel is also small but didn't really get crowded while we were there. The F&B service is almost nonexistent though even if a pool bar was nearby. Nobody hands you a menu when you sit down on the lounge chairs. You have to go to the pool bar area to ask for it. After they serve your food, they disappear again. We returned to the pool area again at night to listen to the band playing. It was a cool night and we loved hanging out near the pool area and my child enjoyed listening and dancing to the music. The area near the stairs could use some more lighting though and a waitstaff should be stationed there too for the benefit of those sitting far from the bar.

Check out was fast but I later found out my points earned were credited to another account under my name but had no knowledge of. They responded to my email complaint timely and transferred the points to the Marriott Rewards number I was using. However, when I asked further questions about the specific number of points earned, I did not receive any response from them anymore.

Bottom line: If you can get a good deal and would like the convenience of staying beside a mall, go for it.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank K_travel_freak
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed June 20, 2012

Business hotel for a business trip. So who sleeps in the hotel during a business trip?

Well, I do. And I would appreciate mixing a bit of pleasure with the business. Which means that coming home to a place that provides a bit of pampering for the price you're paying for is something that I look for.

There are many new five star and boutique hotels in Cebu City. When the Marriott Cebu opened its doors to the public in the late 90s, it was one of a kind. Found right next to the posh Ayala Commercial Center in Cebu, Marriott Cebu was a modern hotel way back then. A few years and a renovation or two later, it has deteriorated in both facility and quality. The lifts need a remake. The rooms are old and the carpets are stank. The bathroom while it has a rainshower, still uses the traditional bath tub (which is a mile high). And the service - is HORRIBLE.

I checked in at 315PM only to have the front desk girl tell me that their computer system was down and that they could not check me in because of that. Really?!?!? [I mean, if there computer was down the whole day they wouldn't be able to check guests in? With the age of technology came the age of inefficiency as well! That's customer service for you.] Then I placed on the door a sign to make up the room when I left around 6PM for my meeting. Lo and behold, when I got back to my room at 10PM the sign was still hanging on the door and my room was not even made up. Sheesh!

With that said, except for the fact that Marriott is located right at the back of Ayala malls in Cebu, there's really nothing fantastic about this hotel. It's downright sad and pathetic that Marriott Cebu is even called a Marriott. If you compare it to the other Marriott hotels worldwide, the one in Cebu is a shame.

It has aged - and aged without grace...

Room Tip: just choose the higher floors. there's nothing to view anyway in whichever floor you take.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Benjamin C
, General Manager at Cebu City Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, June 28, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us and thank you for obviously being a customer since the 1990s. I was very concerned to read about your experience and particularly our service. We are fully committed to consistently improving our facilities and our service and it is dissappointing to have any of our guests have anything less than a satisfying experience.

I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss with you further if you wish as we would appreciate the opportunity to regain your confidence in Marriott here in Cebu. Please feel free to contact me at bruce.winton@marriott.com.

Bruce Winton
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 11, 2012

you name it and you get it near this hotel, the drive from the airport is irritating, but as soon as you get to the hotel, the people at the door give you the car number, hold on to it if you happen to leave some stuff in the car and they will surely get it for you, awsome service, i got off they gave me the number and i had left my journal in the taxi which i realised in the room, called downstairs and in an hour they had located the taxi and made him bring back the journal, the location is great, right next to a mall with interesting and easy shopping, the beaches are a drive but worth it, the staff are so friendly and sometimes you hope that all pinays are this way, evenings bar and lounge with live music is awsome. food is great. sleep is good. overall a good property, just small rooms thats it.

Room Tip: get a room with ayala courtyard view, you can watch music shows from the comfort of your room
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Perth, Australia
Reviewed June 7, 2012

We stayed at the Marriot Hotel last April on our holiday in Cebu.We've stayed in this hotel a couple of times before and we keep coming back because of it's central location.Close to shopping,dining and pubs.The hotel staff are always friendly and you always feel very welcomed. We stayed in their executive suite and it was brilliant.Clean,spacious and modern plus comfortable bed and you get different types of pillows depending on your comfort (which was quite important to us).Our expectations were met that's for sure!We totally enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AiaiMark
Redmond, Washington
Reviewed May 20, 2012

this is my third time here for work related activities.. i have to tell you that they are always on top of things.. the little things too.. which is great. the mall is right next door.. lovely pool, and exercise facility. the food is fantastic..

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
South Sound, Washington
Reviewed May 20, 2012

I have stayed at many Marriott hotels. This one is about average for room comfort. As far as amenities it is lower than most similar Marriott properties. No robes provided. After three calls to front desk finally got 2 robes and 2 extra towels delivered. Initially only had 1 bath towel and 1 hand towel for two people! Likewise had 1 soap(facial not bath) and 1 toothbrush. Room service menu was had good choices in which preparation and delivery was fairly quick. Large portion sizes. Bed was very comfortable and excellent quality linen. Requested upper level room and was given lower level with terrible view of service truck entrance and construction. I figure that may have been because we had requested a smoking room and all of those rooms may have been located on a smoking level floor. I figure that they gave us what we requested. Graciously we were given a late check out. Overall a pleasant experience.

Room Tip: Ensure you request smoking room in advance. Better deal booking through Marriott website than dealin...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Marco Polo Plaza Cebu
#2 of 89 in Cebu City
Crimson Resort and Spa, Mactan
Shangri-La's Mactan Resort & Spa

Been to Cebu City Marriott Hotel? Share your experiences!