“Aging without grace”

Ranked #5 of 87 Hotels in Cebu City
Manila, Philippines
“Aging without grace”
Reviewed June 20, 2012

Business hotel for a business trip. So who sleeps in the hotel during a business trip?

Well, I do. And I would appreciate mixing a bit of pleasure with the business. Which means that coming home to a place that provides a bit of pampering for the price you're paying for is something that I look for.

There are many new five star and boutique hotels in Cebu City. When the Marriott Cebu opened its doors to the public in the late 90s, it was one of a kind. Found right next to the posh Ayala Commercial Center in Cebu, Marriott Cebu was a modern hotel way back then. A few years and a renovation or two later, it has deteriorated in both facility and quality. The lifts need a remake. The rooms are old and the carpets are stank. The bathroom while it has a rainshower, still uses the traditional bath tub (which is a mile high). And the service - is HORRIBLE.

I checked in at 315PM only to have the front desk girl tell me that their computer system was down and that they could not check me in because of that. Really?!?!? [I mean, if there computer was down the whole day they wouldn't be able to check guests in? With the age of technology came the age of inefficiency as well! That's customer service for you.] Then I placed on the door a sign to make up the room when I left around 6PM for my meeting. Lo and behold, when I got back to my room at 10PM the sign was still hanging on the door and my room was not even made up. Sheesh!

With that said, except for the fact that Marriott is located right at the back of Ayala malls in Cebu, there's really nothing fantastic about this hotel. It's downright sad and pathetic that Marriott Cebu is even called a Marriott. If you compare it to the other Marriott hotels worldwide, the one in Cebu is a shame.

It has aged - and aged without grace...

Room Tip: just choose the higher floors. there's nothing to view anyway in whichever floor you take.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Benjamin C
, General Manager at Cebu City Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, June 28, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us and thank you for obviously being a customer since the 1990s. I was very concerned to read about your experience and particularly our service. We are fully committed to consistently improving our facilities and our service and it is dissappointing to have any of our guests have anything less than a satisfying experience.

I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss with you further if you wish as we would appreciate the opportunity to regain your confidence in Marriott here in Cebu. Please feel free to contact me at bruce.winton@marriott.com.

Bruce Winton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 11, 2012

you name it and you get it near this hotel, the drive from the airport is irritating, but as soon as you get to the hotel, the people at the door give you the car number, hold on to it if you happen to leave some stuff in the car and they will surely get it for you, awsome service, i got off they gave me the number and i had left my journal in the taxi which i realised in the room, called downstairs and in an hour they had located the taxi and made him bring back the journal, the location is great, right next to a mall with interesting and easy shopping, the beaches are a drive but worth it, the staff are so friendly and sometimes you hope that all pinays are this way, evenings bar and lounge with live music is awsome. food is great. sleep is good. overall a good property, just small rooms thats it.

Room Tip: get a room with ayala courtyard view, you can watch music shows from the comfort of your room
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Perth, Australia
Reviewed June 7, 2012

We stayed at the Marriot Hotel last April on our holiday in Cebu.We've stayed in this hotel a couple of times before and we keep coming back because of it's central location.Close to shopping,dining and pubs.The hotel staff are always friendly and you always feel very welcomed. We stayed in their executive suite and it was brilliant.Clean,spacious and modern plus comfortable bed and you get different types of pillows depending on your comfort (which was quite important to us).Our expectations were met that's for sure!We totally enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AiaiMark
Redmond, Washington
Reviewed May 20, 2012

this is my third time here for work related activities.. i have to tell you that they are always on top of things.. the little things too.. which is great. the mall is right next door.. lovely pool, and exercise facility. the food is fantastic..

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
South Sound, Washington
Reviewed May 20, 2012

I have stayed at many Marriott hotels. This one is about average for room comfort. As far as amenities it is lower than most similar Marriott properties. No robes provided. After three calls to front desk finally got 2 robes and 2 extra towels delivered. Initially only had 1 bath towel and 1 hand towel for two people! Likewise had 1 soap(facial not bath) and 1 toothbrush. Room service menu was had good choices in which preparation and delivery was fairly quick. Large portion sizes. Bed was very comfortable and excellent quality linen. Requested upper level room and was given lower level with terrible view of service truck entrance and construction. I figure that may have been because we had requested a smoking room and all of those rooms may have been located on a smoking level floor. I figure that they gave us what we requested. Graciously we were given a late check out. Overall a pleasant experience.

Room Tip: Ensure you request smoking room in advance. Better deal booking through Marriott website than dealin...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank HFFFFH
New York City, New York
Reviewed May 15, 2012

if not for the useless 'security' people constantly poking you with their 'drumstick'. what the hell is all that touching and poking you about anyway?
it doesnt help anything when you don't really know what TRUE security is all about.
(what the hell were they looking and touching for in my hiney?

and oh, a giant coackroach ran up the drapes on the last night of our stay. I had to crush it with my sneakers and left it stuck on the curtains so the cleaning crew can take it down when we leave. sleep quality got nicked by worries of more roaches in the room. otherwise, overall rating would have been very good to excellent.
clean up guys.

Room Tip: get the side facing the mall---not the building under construction next door.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank hi b
marriottcebu, General Manager at Cebu City Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, May 16, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for staying with us recently and thank you for taking the time to write a review. I was glad to hear you generally thought your stay was awesome but was naturally disturbed by your 2 concerns.

I would like to stress that 2 things we take very seriously at Marriott are Security and Cleanliness. I am personally following up on your comments to ensure that our processes are consistent and effective. Being in a tropical country we do have Pest Control staffing on property 7 days a week to support our housekeeping teams. I would like to assure you that this situation while again very concerning is definitely a singular issue and not indicative of our usual experience. Rest assured this has our full attention.

Regarding the security procedures, I am quite sure that this is reflective of the security at the neighboring businesses which are adjacent to the hotel but not associated with is. They have sticks to open shopper's bags. Our security do not use sticks as our entrances are covered with X-ray scanners for baggage and walk through metal detectors for guests. These are market leading investments by Marriott to ensure our guests' complete piece of mind and comprehensive security. However based on your comments I have personally double checked to ensure our entrance checks follow standard and are a perceived benefit to our guests rather than an annoyance.

Thank you again and hope to welcome you back to Cebu on future trip.

Bruce Winton
Vancouver, BC
Reviewed May 15, 2012

First impression driving up to the hotel, it looks a bit dated from the outside. However once inside it is a very nicely kept property. The lobby is tastefully decorated with a small convenience shop, restaurant and lobby bar all on the same floor. Check-in was friendly, fast and efficient. A nice touch is the welcome cool wet towel and glass of fresh juice.

The guest rooms are renovated, clean and pleasantly decorated. The bathroom is large and has a rain-shower.

The pool area is very modern and comfortable. Nice lounge chairs, but not many of them.

The gym, on the basement level, under the lobby, is very large and more than adequate for a hotel gym with lots of cardio equipment, free weights and weight machines. The towel service and fresh fruit are welcome touches.

The location of the hotel - right beside Ayala Centre - is ideal for not being forced to eat at the hotel restaurant. There is a huge variety of restaurants and shops just beside the hotel.

Room Tip: The higher the better to get a decent view of the city
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Crimson Resort and Spa, Mactan
Harolds Hotel
Harolds Hotel
#3 of 87 in Cebu City

Been to Cebu City Marriott Hotel? Share your experiences!