“Tune Hotel: Location, Quality and Value All-In-One”
Review of Red Planet Cebu

Red Planet Cebu
Ranked #9 of 91 Hotels in Cebu City
Reviewed January 14, 2013

LOCATION: Tune Hotel is located in the commercial district of Cebu. Its location is one of its draws why we decided to book this hotel. It is walking distance in front of Ayala Mall, right next door is a 7-11 Convenience Store, and public transportation is easily accessible from the main road.

THE COST: The one thing that is unique with this chain of hotels is that: you only pay for what you need like: air-conditioning, cable TV, WIFI connection and toiletries. However, we booked through Agoda.com which had a promo that included 24 hour air-conditioning, Cable TV and Free WIFI. Looking back, that promo was a steal: we were able to book twin room (for two people) for Php750 or US$19 per night for EVERYTHING. And since there were two per room, each person’s share would be P375 or US$10) per night.

FEEL: It is new (just opened 2012), clean, basic and modern.

PERSONAL: I was in a group of 8 people and we booked 4 rooms in this hotel.

RECEPTION: Reception is located on the 2nd floor of the hotel. It is no-frills, basic and unpretentious. In colors of red and white.

THE ROOMS: The rooms are pretty small. But the space is well-maximized for efficiency. For example, a folding-desk, no cabinets but only a bar to hang your clothes and a LED TV to save space. The safe too is located just under the night desk and the night lights are bolted to the wall. If you are in Cebu and expecting to stay in the hotel for longer periods of time, this is not the hotel for you. But if you want a comfortable place to crash for a couple of nights, this place isn’t bad. The bed alone is quality in itself.

THE SMELL OF THE ROOM: Clean. Fresh.

THE BED: I love the bed in this hotel. Not the kind you find in budget hotels. For the price I paid, the quality is more than what I paid for. Plus, the comforter is also nice. It is clean as white and the pillows are same as those in the “good” hotels. I was completely surprised, I must say.

THE VIEW: A small window from our room shows the Ayala Mall. Not much of a view though. Which we didn’t care much about since we were out for most of the day.

THE BATHROOM: Not your typical budget hotel bathroom. They have a huge showerhead which I wish I had at home. And the bathroom is a bit bigger than I anticipated since the room was somewhat a bit cramped. The one beef I had about the about the bathroom is that they didn’t install shower doors. So when you take a bath, expect the bathroom floors to be wet. I still don’t understand why they won’t install those shower doors! Oh, and the door to the bathroom is semi-transparent: frosty.

THE FOOD: breakfast included. But hotel is right in front of Ayala Mall so getting a meal isn’t a problem.

THE SERVICE: Courteous and friendly. Also, willing to answer many questions relating to the hotel. Also, housekeeping cleans the rooms regularly, so I don’t have a problem with that.

OTHER AMENITIES: Internet access (which can be bought or included in the booking), business center, toiletries which you can purchase.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank ysabs
There are newer reviews for Red Planet Cebu

Reviewed January 13, 2013

clean room, elevator, free internet use for 30 minutes, air-conditioned

I booked this hotel in advance, which was a good idea, as the receptionist told me that it is more expensive as a walk-in. Everything was included with advance booking via agoda, but if you just walk in, there are additional charges for a towel, air-con, etc. I found the price very reasonable, (about $ 20.50 or € 16.80) even though I was alone in a double room. It seems very safe and you need to use your keycard to take the elevators upstairs. When you use the shower, the water splashes out all over the bathroom floor, but I found this to be a pretty typical problem in the Philippines and isn't so serious. With a simple, clean A/C room, an elevator, and free internet use for 30 minutes, I thought it was a pretty good deal.

It is just across from the Ayala Shopping Center. I went over there in the morning (which only opens at 10am!) to change money, which was quite convenient. However it is not near the real downtown area of Cebu where most of the sightseeing is; for that you would have to take a taxi.

I found the Tune Hotel staff very friendly and helpful. I would be happy to stay there again if I ever go back to Cebu.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Janet W
Reviewed January 6, 2013

The frontdesk staff and the doormen are all excellent and friendly. The hotel has the perfect loaction to the mall and clubs in the area. Also there is a great little 711 right next door. The rooms are cleaned to a high standard and the tvs have lots of chanels.

Room Tip: Book online with agoda for cheaper rates then showing up.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank TravelLight1972
Reviewed January 5, 2013

Got a great deal at Tune Hotel Cebu through Agoda. I only paid around 850 pesos a night and this covers all add ons. Sweet!

I like the location of Tune Hotel Cebu which is just right across the sprawling Ayala Mall. Going around the city won't be a hassle since public transport is easily available in the area. And the 711 store attached to the hotel is a big plus for me.

The hotel staff were quite courteous and readily helpful. Looks like they were properly trained as I notice no indifference in them dealing with their guests.

I find the room a bit cramped with no clothes cabinet. But this was compensated with it's modern yet comfy design. Their bed is definitely five star. Soft and cushy, you'll fall asleep in no time.

The bathroom was surprisingly nice for a budget hotel. Water pressure was quite strong.

If you want a comfortable place to stay at excellent value for money, Tune Hotel would be my go to hotel when I'm in Cebu.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank vinox
Reviewed December 30, 2012 via mobile

Great budget hotel, good staff, clean functional rooms. The only advise I'd have against this place is that Cebu City itself isn't very nice (the hotel is fine), so if your stuck in town for more than half a day you might get bored and wish you'd splashed out on a hotel with more facilities as the city doesn't have too much to offer.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank rrddaa
Reviewed December 28, 2012

Although the room was not very spacious, with no cabinets, and with only a small folding board for a "table", everything else was very clean and comfortable. I slept soundly on a good bed, the bathroom had a strong shower with hot water. I think that the ambience was a notch higher, compared to an average business/budget hotel. I would recommend this hotel for travelers travelling solo, or with two/three friends who just want the sleeping comfort of a good bed, and who do not mind the "basic" amenities. Add-ons for air-conditioning, towel, and wifi are optional, and provide an opportunity to lower the cost of stay.. No breakfast included, but a 24-hour convenience store is very near the ground floor. Location near Ayala Mall is an added convenience too. The hotel staff were courteous and professional. Check out was a breeze. Will definitely come back during my next trip to Cebu.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed December 27, 2012 via mobile

I've stayes with almost Tune hotel in Philippines so staying here is not new to me - new hotel means new bedsheets and clean room. As always you will get a good price if you book early online. mine I paid less than 1,000 pesos only.

We stayed on 24th dec and booked for 2 rooms. Ayala mall is just across the hotel, which saves us paying fares and huggle taxis in cebu. 7-11 is just downstairs. Downside is, there are no nearby restaurants before 10am if you are looking for a breakfast meal. Other than that Its ok. I feel safe staying on this hotel.

Will certainly stay here again on my next visit in Cebu.

• Stayed: December 2012