“needs a lot more work to function at 100%”
Review of Red Planet Cebu

Red Planet Cebu
Ranked #8 of 87 Hotels in Cebu City
Makati, Philippines
“needs a lot more work to function at 100%”
Reviewed April 4, 2012

Tune hotels are everywhere in the world and I like their "pay for only what you need" scheme because it is practical. This Tune hotel however needs a lot more work to be at par to the franchise name. It is only about a month old and construction is still ongoing on some floors which makes it a disturbance to some rooms above or below the hammering and pounding. They need to check their water system as the bathroom running water looks dodgy and brownish you would be suspicious and paranoid to even have a bath. The bed was fantastic! Wide screen LCD TV and they had a hair dryer in the room too! that alone is a big plus.I'd stay here again but I'll give it a few more months so the hotel can smoothen and fix their operation loopholes.

Room Tip: choose only the add ons you really need for your stay. Room, 12 hour AC, and 24 hour TV will only co...
1 Thank memeni
BangkokRalph101, Director of Sales at Red Planet Cebu, responded to this review, April 10, 2012
Thanks for your review and feedback and great that you were able to enjoy a comfortable night's sleep and some of the other facilities in the room.

We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are on Cebu.

We also appreciate your feedback about the water. Despite rigorous testing before we opened, we are still finding some issues in this area and our engineers are working to rectify this issue as some of our other guests have mentioned it as well.

Kind regards
Mark

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Cebu City, Philippines
Reviewed April 2, 2012

I work in a hotel and I've been of the pre-opening teams of 2 big hotels. I've stayed in more than my fair share of hotels and I have got to say, Tune Hotel Cebu City was a major disappointment. I booked a room for 3 nights with them for the following reasons:

1. I was going to propose and since I spent most of my money in my ring I wanted to get a quality room for the best price and that was what I expected from Tune Hotel.
2. I read that their beds were great.
3. Like I said, I've opened two hotels and in my experience, you pull out all stops to make a special impression on your first few guests while your property is having it's "soft opening".

And this is what happened:
Day 1:
1. I found out to my dismay that their "promo" rate means you get the room for a whole day and the airconditioning and wifi for 12 hours only. Upsetting because 1st, nothing clued me in on that when I made the booking and 2nd, we were there for 3 days. I was gonna spend all that time trying to budget my airconditioning and wifi. That makes for a stressful vacation.

2. Bed and water pressure were really good. Their beds are almost comparable to deluxe hotels. The rooms are small but clean and they look exactly how they do in the pictures.

3. Wifi sucks. You get a connection for a few minutes then lose it. The vent in the CR would suddenly gush with water from we-didn't-know-where.

4. The location was very accessible for what we wanted to do.

Day 2
1. I went down stairs and complained about the wifi and dripping water. I never managed to watch a full video because the connection kept on getting cut. They told me they can transfer me to another floor because their IT equipment for the 4th floor was not fully functional. They dupe me with a promo rate and the thing doesn't even work? I told them I didn't want to have to pack up and move so they could instead remove my wifi access and just convert it into airconditioning hours. They agreed. Then I informed them about the leaking and they promised to send someone. Almost 30 minutes later, they still hadn't sent anyone.
2. The CR was flooded now and we needed to use the CR. We didn't want to risk stepping in the water because it might've been dirty or risk slipping. We had approached 2 other hotel personnel but nothing was being done. After more time spent waiting, a housekeeping attendant finally told us that we had to move because the plumbing in that room was also not fully funtional.
3. We moved to a similar room only to find out that while water no longer gushed from the vent above the toilet, the drainage in the shower was clogged and it took a long time for the shower water to subside. Our own water was flooding our bathroom. We decided to just go with it since judging from the response time from the previous room, it was gonna take forever for them to do something about it and they might make us move to another room again.

Day 3:
1. While the sound proofing was good enough to keep us from hearing the traffic noise, it wasn't enough to insulate all the pounding that was going on to the walls. The hotel is obviously still undergoing major construction work. It makes you wonder why they would sell the product like it was. While our initial plan was to stay in the hotel room on all 3 days, since we were budgeting our airconditioning we would opt to stay out late and thus ended up sleeping late but all the pounding would wake us up.
2. Getting ready was so time consuming and inconvenient because you had to wait for quite some time for the shower water of the first user to subside before you could go in. And there was a peculiar smell that was now pronounced, like sewage. The other day, it wasn't that strong although you could still get a whiff of it if you stayed in the bathroom long enough.

Day 3.
1. All the airconditioning budgeting, smell of sewage and clogged drainage made for a terribly upsetting stay. I decided to postpone proposing to my girlfriend with whom I've had a 2-year long distance relationship. Thanks Tune.

Check out was a breeze the next day. And while their staffs are nice, they are also inefficient.

Room Tip: Unless you want to be their lab rat for the preparedness of their wifi and airconditioning system, b...
5 Thank MJGO123
Thanks for your feedback and review of our hotel.

We are truly sorry and offer our apologies for your experience here.

As you have experience in opening hotels, I am sure you can appreciate some things do not always go right and it is your experience in this area that has allowed you to provide some excellent and detailed feedback of where we need to get to.

We are truly sorry for your experience and we will be striving to rectify all the points you have made in the coming days and weeks.

Kind regards
Mark Armsden
cebu
Reviewed April 1, 2012

Terrible hotel, my room smells of sewer gas due to poor plumbing installation. Small sewer flies come out of the drains. The shower is a puddle of water because it doesn't slope toward the drain. There is no shelf for your bar of soap.
The room is very tiny with no where to put your clothes other than a night table and 4 plastic hangers.
There is no fan in the room so you are forced to pay for 24 hours air conditioning.
Lots of traffic noise comes through the cheap windows.
The television is very big but the picture is terrible, probably due to bad wiring installation.
There is nowhere to eat nearby.
I don't like the three large advertising signs in the room.
I am convinced any hotel in Cebu is better than this.

3 Thank havealook1
Manila
Reviewed March 28, 2012

hesitant at first about staying at hotel since no review yet, but looking at the rooms once i got there made me say wow.... the rooms are just enough for a bed but the amenities are really like staying in a 5 star hotel without the big floor surface, location was great since its across from ayala mall (literally across).. traffic can be crazy infront of the hotel especially for rush hours so opted for jeep most of the time, the construction for some other parts was still on going so a bit distracted with the construction workers but once you go up to the front desk lobby which is located on the 3rd floor you can definitely forget about that. The front desk was very accomodating they even helped us finding a good restaurant for breakfast which is quite abit far since ayala mall usually open at 10am. make sure to pack a small meal if your an early person. Nonetheless, definitely gonna stay at this hotel again if given a chance

Room Tip: bring some quick snack for breakfast, restaurants are a bit far especially in the morning, ayala mal...
3 Thank Bbaculinao
Philippines
Reviewed March 18, 2012

I booked my accomodations at promotional rates when the hotel was just about to open its doors to the public. As such, I got my room rate half the price, added with the "pay-what-you-only-need" scheme, I really got my room very cheap!

Yet, I was surprised with what the quality of items that the hotel had to offer. The bed and the sheets were of good quality, not the cheap sheets that you get from other budget hotels/traveller's inn. The hot-shower did not disappoint me as well! The LCD TV had good cable reception too. Airconditioning unit must have been 1hp which was more than enough to cool your room. This is another way of saying that the room was very small, just enough to fit the bed. This, for me, is not a problem.

Another great thing about Tune Hotel - Cebu is its location. It sits directly across Ayala Malls which is and could be, the only mall that you can hang-around in the city.

The only set-back was the "toiletries" package that I availed. It didn't have a toothbrush and a toothpaste. The soap and shampoo/conditioner that came with it didn't suite my likings. This can easily be remedied - especially when you're used to bringing your own stuff.

Kudos to Tune-Hotels. I'm definitely going back!

Room Tip: Try to secure the "higher" floors.
6 Thank itgbkj