“One of the best lechon I've tasted!”
Review of Zubuchon

Zubuchon
Ranked #5 of 721 Restaurants in Cebu City
Cuisines: Asian, Filipino
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: We serve roast pork as the main dish, with nearly three dozen other Filipino dishes that are either include roast pork or are pork-free complementary dishes. We offer an extensive seafood menu in three of our restaurants as well as many vegetable dishes and natural local fruit shakes. This is the roast pork that Chef and TV Host Anthony Bourdain declared as "The Best Pig, Ever!" On his No Reservations episode on the Philippines. For a taste of Filipino cuisine, in clean, bright comfortable surroundings, visit us at any of our branches in Cebu.
Manila, Philippines
“One of the best lechon I've tasted!”
Reviewed December 3, 2012

This is my first time to try Zubuchon lechon right in one of their restaurants in cebu, I have only tried Zubuchon lechon twice before but it was always the frozen ones brought home by friends. I already loved the frozen ones but the fresh ones at the restaurants were even better. We ordered 1/2 kilo for two of us and we couldn't even finish it. There was a lot of meat, and it was quite tender. I was surprised that it barely had any bones, the order was really worth it. Of course, I also loved the taste and flavor (Cebu style), combined with their vinegar mixture they have. Aside from lechon, we ordered the fried rice with pork, seaweed platter, sotanghon and the crispy pancake made of tiny fishes - forgot the name. Seaweed platter was ok, although I only liked the lato type- they had 3 types of seaweed/seaweed flavored noodle in the platter. The crispy fish cake was really nice, extra crispy yet not oily.

The only thing we weren't able to have it the Kamias Shake. They ran out :-( Instead I tried the Kalamansi-Honey shake which was refreshing and not too sweet. It blended well with the lechon meal :-)

Our waiter was quite friendly and jolly. When we asked him to take out photo, he gladly obliged and even suggested to take the photo when all the food comes. He obviously knows what people like in their photos, haha.

We went at around 2pm so the place wasn't jampacked but still a lot of patrons, so it was more relaxing than I expected. The place was clean.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank kormensandiego

• Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Cebu City, Philippines
“One of Cebu's best loved lechon!”
Reviewed December 2, 2012

The place is great, even with its new and bigger location in Escario, it can still be jampacked if one happens to be there at aroun 5pm-up when a new batch of lechon is delivered. Try to order their seaweed kinilaw (soaking/cooking the food in vinegar) platter for authentic Cebuano taste. I think it's still 90-100/serving. Don't forget their Kamias shake too to down what you've just eaten. The place is airconditioned, so worry not to sweat.

Visited November 2012
Manila, Philippines
“Lousiest Service...Ever!”
Reviewed November 16, 2012

I'm a big Anthony Bourdain fan but I don't care how great this pig supposedly is, it's still service that makes a restaurant great. We went to the Escario St. branch and it was a full house. Not surprising, given its reputation; and not that much of a problem, since we were willing to wait.

There were people milling about in the tables outside, people milling about near the entrance, people milling about near the cash register and people standing over the occupied tables, ready to take the table as soon as the occupant would leave. We weren't quite sure what to do to secure a table - was there a queue or a line, or should we just hustle for a table? My husband asked a waiter on what the system was and all the waiter said was, "Fully booked, fully booked." My husband clarified, so is there a line or should we find our own table? And the waiter said, "puno na po (we're already full), fully booked." So my husband asked, "so alis na lang kami (should we just go)?" and again the waiter said, "fully booked na, fully booked na." So upon this waiter's advice, we left.

Good thing, we learned that there is a branch on Mango Ave and took our chances there. It was smaller but less crowded so we did get a chance to try the lechon. In my husband's words, it was "nothing special" and the skin, though crispier than the typical lechon, has somewhat of an "old" taste to it. We ordered some other items, and though they were good, they were really nothing special. And given their price range, totally not worth it. I will not waste my time to go back to this place... Ever!

• Visited November 2012
6 Thank funinny
“Gourmet lechon”
Reviewed November 13, 2012 via mobile

The pork is really delicious and tasty, doesnt taste like a traditional lechon. The edges taste like the chinese style asado that can be bought in ongpin, manila. I can really call it a gourmet lechon

Philippines
“Sucks! Can't believe they ran out of their Main Dish at 6:30PM:(”
Reviewed November 12, 2012

We purposely went out of our way to find Zubuchon along Escario. We got there at 6:30PM and I specifically wanted the large fresh lechon for 590PHP. They've ran out of their main dish. At 6:30PM. On a major holiday. I was flabbergasted. If I wanted frozen lechon, I don't need to go all the way to Cebu to have it.

Visited November 2012
Zubuchon, Owner at Zubuchon, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
mzzyap, our apologies for running out of fresh lechon during your recent visit. We decide to cook a certain number of lechons at least 8 hours before meal service, as that is how long it takes from slaughter to delivery. We base our estimates on previous consumption data, and do adjust for holiday periods. However, demand is not always predictable, and some folks come at 530pm and will buy 10-15 kilos of take out lechon for a party, or to take with them on a trip. In such cases, we do sometimes run out of lechon early. ALL LECHON purveryors in Cebu operate in the same manner, and they too run out early sometimes, it is the nature of the product in question. And rushing additional lechons is impossible with an 8 hour turnaround time. Having said that, we do offer lots of other dishes at the restaurant and hope you had a chance to try those. As for your view that the lechon or the restaurant sucks, you apparently never got a chance to try the lechon, so I presume the rating applies to the experience of having run out. As for the price per kilo you quoted, you are simply mistaken, our lechons are priced at PHP530 a kilo effective Nov. 1, 2012, up from PHP490 prior to that. Not PHP590 as you state. In future, you may wish to call ahead to ensure that you reserve some lechon reserved for your visit, Escario Central 032-511-0005 or One Mango 032-239-5697 or Islands Stay Hotel 032-505-0130. Thank you.