“A wonderful experience”

Cuisines: Asian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Art Gallery-Cafe that serves Local + Travel Inspired Cuisine
Reviewed May 9, 2013

Service, food, atmosphere, all wonderful. Im not a local and loved the traditional food experience.I will go back.
The food was to die for, just wonderful, and cooked so well.
Could fault nothing.

2  Thank Anthony_Jessa

Reviewed April 12, 2013

I'd been there on Jan 2013
The owner of Restaurant taste quite,I like paintings and other small stuff
Food here is Fusion style ,Spanish Portugal and Philippine
So when you order the food you have to be carefully
Especially Philippine food ,for foreigners maybe a little bit salty
that you could ask the chef "do not put so many salt ,just half as usual"

2  Thank Keikowolala
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Food is not bad, service is not bad also. ambiance is kinda OK. over all it's good. it has a nice location though. you can see some historical sites.. :)

Reviewed March 22, 2013

i have to concur some of the previous reviewers as this place is about as average as it gets.
The restaurant was empty and stayed empty for the entire time of our visit and neither that or the location bothered me. What did was the food which was turned out to be dressed up comfort food, dressed up in a fairly amateur way I might add. A strong cocktail saved the evening.

1  Thank Noe P
Reviewed February 19, 2013

I went with a group to Café Elysa last November and have also compared notes with 3 different sets of co-workers and friends who have also tried it within the last year. Some are cebuanos, 1 canadian, and a couple originally from manila. We are all unanimous that it is neither a good restaurant nor a terrible one. It is on its best night, for food, about average. On other occasions, it was just below average. There was just nothing special about any of the food, nothing! It’s just basic pinoy food that is dressed up a bit more than usual in a setting that is quaint ancestral home, albeit with modern touches.

We also agreed that it might bear another visit were it not located way out of residential areas for most people, but if the food did not improve, we’d definitely skip it.

The reason why I am writing this review is because whatever is being posted on this website, supposedly for travelers, just seems fishy. As of this writing, the overwhelming majority ( 17 out of 26!!) of 5 star reviews are written by people with only 1 review to their credit and of course that one review is for Café Elysa. 2 more have people with only 2 reviews and even if they change this in the future, anyone can still check the dates and see they are trying to cover this up.

And the way they are being written is way over the top and almost read like advertisements. I don’t post to this website either but having been an occasional reader, I just can’t stand to see this kind of dishonesty on display. It’s really a shame. The managers of Café Elysa may not be doing this themselves but they should tell their friends to knock it off as it is really obvious!! A friend told me they were subtly encouraging the practice on their facebook page but I did not confirm this.

Objectively, this is a 2 to 3 star restaurant and this in an opinion shared by every single person that I have talked to. In reading what appear to be the genuine reviews, this appears to be the consensus as well. . I am sticking with 1 star because of the tactics they are employing on this website and I hope they learn from this. If we continue to see these glowing 5 star reviews by people with 1 review, well, we know they have not.

5  Thank Jim A