“The Best Resturant in Cebu!”
Review of Cafe Elysa - CLOSED

Cafe Elysa
Cuisines: Asian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Art Gallery-Cafe that serves Local + Travel Inspired Cuisine
Reviewed November 3, 2012

Thanks to my dear friend Roz Roy we had this best experience at Cafe ELYSA last week.
Located in the very historical part of Cebu is a fabulous gem you must not miss when in Cebu.

After our champagne toast we started right in with the delicous appetizers, starting with the Spring Rolls with black mushrooms and a delighful lemongrass dipping sauce every bite was a pallette thriller. Along side we tried the local ceviche and the Baby Stuffed squid with the mouth watering ginger sauce. This dish was like something I have never tried was so wonderful and just melted in your mouth yummy!

At that point it was time to sample some of the main courses. The shrimp rice was a perfect start as we tried the "Humba" which is braised pork hocks with black beans and Star Anise which took my breath away, was so tender and flavorful! We also tried the Crispy Milk Fish with anchovies that was prepared perfectly.

Now it was time to take a break and get a little tour of the fantastic artwork from Cafe owner Steve Aznar, as he explained in his tour he took the love of local cooking from his Mom and incoorporated with his living in New York many years and traveling trying out recipes that brought him back home to open up this local gem serving up local comfort food with a twist.
Wonderful ambiance serving local families and out-of-town tourists brings an eclectic mix to this great resturant and now time to try dessert!

Fresh mango with a delightful sticky rice from Mandaue was a delight, then came the fresh baby pineapple and banana flambe with a touch of almonds and raisins and a butter-rum sauce served over home made vanilla ice cream! Oh delight delight...the evening was grande the Cebuano artwork so pleasing to the "eye pallette" the wonderful jazz infusion music was pleasing to the "ear pallette" all in all I give this evening a night to remember and will definitely make this a stop each time I revisit Cebu.

1  Thank Nancy F

Reviewed September 13, 2012

Too far to get too and food is just average. They're slow - took a long time for food to arrive. The atmosphere is pleasant and staff is kind.

9  Thank James D
Reviewed September 8, 2012

With all the one way streets in downtown cebu, and the place does not really have a signage that really pops out, this is hard to find. From Parian, you can easily miss the place. Zamora street is one way from Parian, so Google Maps showed me the way that goes AGAINST the one way street, which confused me as I brought a car.

The pros: The interior was very very cozy, with nice pipe in music. The food we ordered was the steamed fish in banana leaf, and the flavor really comes out. The bangus belly in anchovies is very good. The most tasty bangus belly I've ever tasted. Service was great and fast, notwithstanding that we were the only customer they had at that time. I noticed the attendants were really attentive the whole time.

The cons: The signage needs improvement (I saw the small parking area sign than the actual restaurant signage). Since we went on a weekday lunch at 1230pm, we were the only customer when we arrived (someone else arrived at almost 1pm). The plain rice I ordered was already dry, and the bowl it contained it was very hot, too hot to have the rice coming from the rice cooker into the bowl, but rather too hot that it must have come from the microwave for the rice to be heated up, which accounts for the rice being dry and already clumping together. 2nd, the kitchen needs better ventilation. While they were cooking, the smell was already entering the dining area, and the smell was strong.

2  Thank al22tecc
Reviewed August 13, 2012

My first date with this Cebu beauty came out of a disappointment of being stood up by a "date; A Cebuano friend had suggested we meet here since it was near where I was billeted. As the hours went with no sign of my friend's appearance, I decided to order from the menu to make the most out of the situation. I had a salad for starters, a nut encrusted entree and a very good glass of white wine to go with the meal. It was a pleasant surprise made more special when the manager Ms. Joy Uy introduced herself and entertained me even when she had another table of friends over for the evening. The same happened when another set of friends hopped over to see me for wine and dessert all the way from the other side of Cebu a few months later. Ms. Uy pulled all the stops to make the evening enjoyable. I of course endorsed this dining destination to a larger group of Cebuano friends a year later when I came back for another event. Cafe Elysa did not disappoint! I had several friends visit the Parian District jewel and come back with rave reviews of a delightful meal! I know a fourth and fifth and sixth time are in the offing...!!!

3  Thank gemini32
Reviewed July 17, 2012

Attended a dinner party of 24 there last January and totally enjoyed the selection of several tasty dishes in a relaxed atmosphere. I am definitely going to try more of Cafe Elysa's local and travel-inspired menu during my next visit. I am so glad Cafe Elysa is around to cater classic local recipes
combined with international cuisine. It's simply a great restaurant !!!

3  Thank Sunprince61