“Excellent small business hotel that can use some improvement...”
Review of Harolds Hotel

Harolds Hotel
Ranked #3 of 92 Hotels in Cebu City
Reviewed October 25, 2012

I stayed here for a few days while in Cebu for business. I was struck by the cleanliness and upscale feel of the rooms.... Despite starting on the wrong foot upon check in. I clearly indicated in my online check in and several email messages thereafter that i requested early check in.
After an hour or two, front desk staff managed to find a room, clean it quickly, and i finally got some much needed rest.
The location is ideal if one wants to be close to Ayala Center... Otherwise, there isnt much within walkable distance... However, from what i can see, that will change in due time considering commercial growth in the area..
The buffet breakfast was good.... Sufficient to get one started on one's day... Garlic rice, tocino,eggs some fish dishes , fruit, and juice... Even hot tablea chocolate.
But the biggest downside is no WiFi in rooms, but only LAN wired connectivity. There is WiFi in the lobby but i just couldnt see myself in my pajamas wiling away.... But understand this will change by next year...
Overall, enjoyed Harolds Hotel and will most probably return on my next visit to Cebu....

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank EWWSanFrancisco

Reviewed October 16, 2012

on oct 12, 2012, i experienced the hospitality & the comfort of this new hotel in cebu. the manager sir hembler mendoza is so accommodating. the room is cozy, the bed is soft and the linens are superb. the bathroom is clean. though there is no wifi signal in our room but the big tv screen is good enough for me. the buffet breakfast is ok also. the staff are so courteous and accommodating to my needs. they are patient to give directions. the rate is so reasonable for a 3 star hotel. i will definitely recommend this to my friends. try it too!

Room Tip: the higher floor rooms i recommend, 12th floor, cool bathroom, you can see your partner taking the s...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 13, 2012

Strong Attributes
- Accommodating and very courteous staff from in house security, front desk personnel, dining crew, HighLights Roof Deck personnel and also to house-keeping. Night Manager on duty knows what truly is the meaning of courtesy.
- Room has docking station for ipod.
- Has iron and ironing board.
- Has a weighing scale.
- Has a flashlight in case of an extreme emergency.
- Gave me an immediate upgrade to deluxe room which was very spacious.

Opportunity
- A short delay upon check-in but was immediately addressed.
- In my humble opinion I guess the initial cash out as being required from me is not necessary at all. If this guideline can be reviewed.
- The bed or room is not the issue its in my system, I do not get enough sleep in hotels.

Overall, I had a wonderful time. I don't have to be specific my final word would be, once you were treated to be a Most Important Person what more can you ask!?

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 7, 2012

I had always wanted to stay at Harolds ever since I first heard of it from friends in Cebu. So when I had a chance (an overnighter because of airline connections through Cebu), I immediately booked myself a room.

Rates.
I booked a superior room with a king sized bed. Glad to have found out that the company I work for enjoys corporate rates for its employees!! But discounts notwithstanding, the rates are pretty reasonable considering the observations below. :)

The Room.
Very spacious, plenty of room to dance! Not that I'm a dancer...just saying. But what got me smiling the most was how clean and well kept the room was. I had no qualms walking around barefooted on the carpet and not a speck of dust on the furniture. The only negative thing about the room was the small window. But still, it was a really nice looking room.

The Bathroom.
The hotel's drive for cleanliness was definitely evident in the bathroom, too. The only downside was that, even if you carefully stretch out the shower curtain, water still managed to get on to the floor...which is a major pet peeve of mine - wet bathroom floors!

The Bed.
King size! The pillows were perfect, the sheets smelled very clean and freshly laundered and the duvet was very cozy. I almost wished the airline would call me to advise that my flight was cancelled!

The Staff.
Friendly. Although, I did throw a tiny tantrum when I was told that I'd had to pay another P1000 for early check in...something I was NOT told about when I booked my room through the phone! I'm actually amazed that they would still charge you that when they weren't even at full occupancy! Most, if not all, big hotels don't charge early check ins. This was the only disappointment from Harolds. But nonetheless, definitely friendly staff...even saw their night manager, an acquaintance from college! :) And, if I may just add...he's still a cutie. LOL!

So, would I recommend this hotel? Absolutely. Can't wait to have to go to Cebu again.

Room Tip: My view was of the "back". All I saw were the roofs of nearby houses so you may want to a...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 4, 2012

The hotel was very clean, staff were all very courteous, rate we paid for the room were okay (P3500). Beds and blanket were very comfortable. Toilet facilities were clean and very nice. A hop, skip and jump away is one of the best pizzas in town. La Bella Pizza. Security is tough... you key is only accessible to the floor you are on. We went as a group, booking 5 rooms. We were billeted in different floors. If we wanted to go to each other's room, we had to be escorted by our companion bringing with him/her their room keys. Very inconvenient, I suggest that if you are with group and booked in different rooms, hotel should give your keys access to all floor where your companions are located.

Room Tip: 3rd floor rooms, specifically 305 and 307 (and maybe 303, i'm not sure) has a balcony. Any floo...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank tanjaiphen
Reviewed July 25, 2012

If your looking for a place to stay for the night this hotel is ok. Rooms are nice and clean. Complete with basic necessity.

Things that they needs improvement are the following:

- prior to booking we asked if there is wifi. They said yes. Not informing us that it was only available in the lobby and at the restaurant. No wifi in the rooms.

- speed in checking in. As a frequent traveller I'm always particular with the time they take to check you in the room. Every minute counts when you travel for business. Asking guest to sit and wait for you to do the check in shows that they lack preparation or they are just disorganized.

- event organization. They accepted our booking for 200 guest on a classroom type set up. When we were setting up they told me they can not accommodate 200 pax on a classroom set up. Why did they accept the booking in the first place? On the day of the event the set up was only for 154. What do they expect us to do with the 46 other guest? Ask them to just stand in a corner? We had to put chairs all over the place just so our guest will have a place to sit. The table cloth didn't even match. It was white black and blue. When I asked why is it that way, they told me they don't have enough. So disappointed in the way they handle events.

- it would be good if you can open the window in smoking rooms.

- speed in checking out. Took me almost 30 min just to check out.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Kylesligh
Reviewed July 22, 2012

I love the hotel. It's new, modern and spacious. The firm bed with soft linen made the bed an almost permanent place for my tired body. The lobby was clean, staff friendly and the breakfast buffet delicious.

I was checked in the top floor which was 12th. The view of the city was incredible to say the least. Mountain ranges, small shanti towns, and modern buildings make up most of the viewable sights from above.

However, above the 12th was the Roof Deck...There was a private party that evening, the noise from the party descended down to the floor below. It was uncomfortable to sleep. When the party was finished, the noise from the tables and chairs being moved around was even more annoying.

My tip for an enjoyable stay here...pick a room that's on the 6th-8th floor...but that's just me.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business