“Very affordable and no frills”

Sampaguita Suites-Plaza Garcia
Ranked #25 of 89 Hotels in Cebu City
San Pedro, Laguna
“Very affordable and no frills”
Reviewed September 24, 2010

Booking and reservation was easy. The girl I talked to, Vanessa, reserved a room for me right away and didn't even ask for a deposit. Maybe it was because I booked 2 days already prior to arrival.

Our group (5 of us) also availed of their free airport shuttle. We didn't have a problem with it either. I don't why others had problems with it. You just need to remind them, I guess, so they remember!

For the room, I was quite disappointed with the beds. We got a family executive room which is supposed to have a queen bed and a double bed. I didn't see any queen bed. It was more of a double bed. The pillows were what one would expect for a rather cheap accommodation. But you can get extra pillows for a very low price of P25/pillow per night!

The service in their cafe is also bad. Our food took about 20 minutes to arrive and we're the only ones eating! The food was ordinary. I suggest you eat out in nearby fastfoods such as Chowking and Jollibee instead, which is what we did on the second day.

Overall, for the price, the stay was worth it! If you're on a budget, Sampaguita Suites is good. Besides, it's walking distance to the Magellan's Cross and Basilica del Sto. Niño. So if you're into churches, this hotel is perfect. If you want a place that's near the city and night life, don't book this place! This place is like the Binondo in Manila, with fewer establishments.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Reviewed August 25, 2010

We needed a bed to sleep in a lay over in Cebu. We landed in Cebu at 2245 so the free shuttle was a blessing and we needed to be at the pier for the 7am ferry so again the shuttles was a blessing.

The hotel is nice and clean and for 898p for two people is a real good value for your money.

• Stayed August 2010
davao city
Reviewed August 9, 2010

they didnt inform us ahead of time that check in time is 2 o'clock..but we did inform them that we will arrive at 9:30 a.m. when we arrived there they said that we should wait for 1-2 hours...grrrrr... no towels in the room... calling front office was no use , no one will answer.
cockroach on the lobby too!!! just a hotel for sleeping...expect no other amenities!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed August 2, 2010

We had an unpleasant experience when we stayed in this hotel. We stayed in this hotel for 1 night last July 31, 2010. I made an online reservation a week before our arrival. When we arrived at the hotel, we got surprised when the receptionist at the front desk told us that we don’t have a reservation despite that we presented the confirmation of the reservation. The receptionist told us that the room that we want is no longer available and that there is only 1 left that will suit for 5 persons which is the executive family room. We took the said available room and there is no problem with this kind of situation, but unfortunately, when I asked if there will be no double charge on our part since this will be a new reservation and that our online booking will not be used, the receptionist sarcastically answered me with an unpleasant smile. I’m just worried that they might charge my credit card for no show fee since they did not take up the reservation and that there is a policy indicated in the confirmation that a cost of 1 night will be charge on the credit card if the reservation was not used and cancelled. One more thing was that, the receptionist set us aside when a group of foreigner arrived even though we are not yet finished discussing our situation. The receptionist indeed discriminate us. The receptionist welcomes the foreigner guests with a very pleasant smile and efficiently accommodates them while we as a local tourist received an annoying treatment.
It’s an affordable and clean hotel but beware of the rude staff. Customer Service is not included in their vocabulary!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank backpackers0828
Manila
Reviewed June 25, 2010

Needless to enumerate the hotel staff 's incompetence in actually practising "accommodation", at least, and considering how we, as clients, tried to control our temper despite disappointing and annoying circumstances the careless staff has brought us into, I find it UNNECESSARY, DEROGATORY, and UNETHICAL for any of the staff (specifically, their SHUTTLE DRIVER) to SHOUT AT ME, THEIR CLIENT OF AN EXECUTIVE SUITE.

Right now, I don't even care if they have acceptable rooms, or accessible location. I was on vacation with my friends, and with how that driver treated me, I honestly experienced more stress than my life in Manila has been! It was really traumatizing, especially that, being a Cebuano myself who's been based in Manila, was proudly sharing to my friends the culture that is uniquely Cebuano. And this is how they treat their clients?

I know for a fact that we weren't a victim of circumstance, because as the front desk officer was reporting to the finance manager thru phone (in Cebuano), I could very well understand that this was not the first time they failed to accommodate clients for the shuttle service.

The staff driver doesn't know how to give due respect (or even common courtesy) to clients and to women. And I'm pretty sure none of the staff, not even the finance manager, knows the definition of CUSTOMER SERVICE at all.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
4 Thank travellingbukol

Travelers are raving about these Cebu City hotels

Manila
Reviewed June 21, 2010

It's a budget friendly hotel. Cheap yet clean. It's location is very ideal if you plan to stay in the heart of Cebu City. Very accessible to commercial/shopping centres, restos, nighout areas. Has WIFI at the lobby.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank DjV4
tinkywinky04
Reviewed June 19, 2010

This hotel dare to proudly advertise in bold capital letters that they provide shuttle service that will pick up their guests from the airport/seaport and bring them back there. However, they only have one shuttle and doesn't even know how to do reservations. Here's what happened to our group: We made a reservation weeks ahead stating that yes, we will be availing their service of free shuttle cause that's one of the reasons why we chose their inn in the first place. Before we arrive at Cebu we confirmed our reservation and our ride as well. Come pick up time at the seaport we were left hanging in the middle of the sun. When we called they gave us the excuse that their van was stuck at the airport as one of the guests flight was delayed. We were left with no choice but to take a van and pay for it. We let that go and we didn't demand for a refund anymore. Upon check in we again confirmed that we need to be brought to the airport. It was even their receptionist who suggested the time- 4:30 am. We went through with our itinerary and came back at around midnight at the inn. When we again called the front desk to confirm our ride to the airport we were surprised to find out that we weren't even in the list and that there were already 4 rooms booked for that time and since they only have ONE van it can't fit us. They offered to bring us to the airport earlier but come on -we were just about to sleep and that's around 1:30am already! The receptionist at that night didn't even know what to do. She just kept on contacting their finance manager! They don't have a direct superior on the site. They don't have any hotel manager as what the receptionist said. She only knows of the name of the owner. They don't know any contact details of any superior we can talk to that time. THEY DON'T KNOW ANYTHING! Finally we come to our agreement-and take note, this solution even came from us- they will pay 170 pesos for our taxi ride. Only that and if ever it exceeds we will be paying for it. But that's not it, there's more. Come morning their van-driver talked to our taxi-driver and offered to pay them only 150 pesos when in fact they made us sign and gave us a receipt that we are to get 340pesos for the taxis. I don't care if the taxi drivers agreed but we didn't. We insisted that they get 170 pesos. Then all of a sudden this van-driver of theirs dare shouted at my friend. He was even saying that we should never come back there. Who in their right mind will go back there after experiencing that discomfort, humiliation and traumatizing experience. Going back to what happened, I went back to the receptionist demanding the amount that we agreed and she even irritatedly say that yeah the remaining amount was handed already, when in fact they only did that the moment they saw me go back up the stairs to their front desk. The person who gave the remaining money even said that here's our 40 pesos so that there will just be no fuss. That's beside the point! After that their van driver were shouting, cussing and even gave us the dirty finger while our taxis drove away. WHAT KIND OF SERVICE IS THIS?!

FALSE ADVERTISING! if they can't accomodate all their guests -with only one freaking van, will they- I highly suggest that they remove their FREE SHUTTLE offer 'cause it's definitely DECEIVING!

LASTLY, never in the entire situation did they apologize! indeed NEVER SHALL WE RETURN HERE!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends