All reviewsmagellan's crossbudget hotelmang inasalmetropolitan cathedralbasilica del stowalking distancehour mcdonaldscarbon marketstone's throwincidental depositneeds renovationcity tourperfect place to staystrategic locationstayed for nightsmangonino
Reviewed April 4, 2012

It was just an overnight stay for an early morning Oslob trip the next day. I chose the hotel because it was right beside the Basilica. I was thinking it's location will save us time since we were rushing to fill in so many things to do in such a short time. Yes, the hotel is cheap and you get what your money's worth. I would however pay a lot more so I'd feel safer and secured in my accomodation. I feel the area in itself is creepy especially at night. And my anxiety spurred when the little girl trying to sell us keychains at the front of the hotel, told us to watch our bags as there are snatchers around. I guess she threatened us because she couldn't get us to buy keychains, though I really felt we were going to get robbed that night. And then we realized that the room window had no lock! Anybody could have climbed up the window and scurried away our stuff. I didn't get to sleep at all because I was watching the window the whole night. Basic hotel, overnight stay only, if I would need more nights, I will stay elsewhere.

Room Tip: get a room without windows. I am assuming all windows don't have locks
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank memeni
Manuel P, Public Relations Manager at Sampaguita Suites-Plaza Garcia, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2012

Thank you so much for your review of our hotel from your recent stay. We appreciate that you gave recognition to our very affordable room rates and strategic location. However, we greatly apologize for your sad experience with the vendors outside the hotel.

Though we have addressed this concern to the local government so many times and coordinated with the authorities, these people just keep on coming back and hound our guests to the point of being a nuisance, bothersome and then ultimately detrimental to the reputation of our hotel.

We sure hope that the local government will finally look into this recurring problem of our guests as it also affects the tourism situation in the area.

Meantime while waiting for the authorities to respond, the best that we can do is secure our guests within the hotel premises and then advise them to take good care of themselves outside.

As for the window locks, we have looked into your concern on the matter and have addressed this situation to management.

We can assure you though that the absence of window locks in your room window is an isolated case. Also, our building is not designed to be easily accessed by intruders from the emergency exits and windows. And we have a uniformed guard safeguarding the whole building for added security.

Thank you.

Reviewed March 29, 2012

my friends together with my son stayed here overnight because we are going to bohol very early in the morning the following day. we arrived at the place at 9am and since our room is not yet ready and check in is by 2pm we just deposited our luggage and roamed around the city. these place is just a stone away to magellan's cross and sto. nino church which is a must see in cebu. cebuanos are very accommodating and we just ask for directions and what public transpo on how to get to a certain place. we just took a cab when we went to Taoist Temple. A value for your money accommodation. i was able to experience a deposit in a hotel in macau and they asked me to deposit 100HK so it's not unusual to me to be asked for a incidental deposit. we stayed at 6F with windows and we can just see magellan's cross and sto. nino church. will recommend this place to family and friends.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank MRBIARCAL
Reviewed March 12, 2012

Stayed at this hotel last March 8, 2012. The location is perfect since we stayed in Cebu for only one night en route to Bohol.

Some of the tourist attractions which Cebu is known for is just walking distance (Magellan’s Cross, Sto Nino Basilica, For San Pedro, City Hall)

Public transportation is not a problem, there’s always taxi waiting infront of the hotel and major PUJ route is nearby.

The room is very much basic, for P898.00 you get your money’s worth. A clean room with good aircon, comfortable bed with clean linen, cable TV, hot and cold shower and free WIFI (at the lobby).

The staff are friendly and efficient, checking in and out is a breeze. There’s even a bellman to assist you as soon as you get out of the taxi and help with your bags.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank BigBro_Ed
Reviewed January 28, 2012

I was there last Jan.21-24,2012 with my parents and my boyfriend. Price is affordable for P1,298/night for a Barkada Room, there are 2 beds,cable tv and a bathroom.The location is really convenient since its just walking distance to Magellan's Cross,Sto.Nino Church,Cebu Cathedral,Fort San Pedro,Carbon Market,Plaza Independencia,Cebu City Hall and various supermarket like 7 Lucky Market and La Nuevo (if i remember the names of the stores rcorrectly *_*).

For the room, my only comment is that the Cable Tv is not that okay. There are times during our stay that we prefer not to open the Tv anymore since we cant watch anything at all. We often report it to the reception area,and they always immediately send someone to fix it, however after 5 minutes, we cant watch at it again. The bathroom is clean and big,however it seems to have a problem at that time, we often request for someone to clean the bathroom floor because of the water. If you want the staff to clean your room, just request it from the reception area or put the "clean up room" sign in your door.

Again, the location of the hotel is really convenient, since my Mom prefers to take a rest from now and then. The receptionist, Ms. Joanne is really approachable, she even talks to the taxi driver through my cellphone to give directions on the location of the hotel. They will request for a P500 deposit upon check in, and this is refundable upon full payment of your bill upon check out. Our room is located at 3rd floor, there is an elevator (dont worry). Their restaurant is located at 2nd foor as well as their Massage/Spa Room which is open from 10am-9pm (i think). During our stay there is a 15 minutes free massage, sadly we were not able to claim it since we are always outside during the day.

The hotel is also located near AA Restaurant, near Plaza Independencia, prices of barbecues,seafoods including buttered scallops are reaflly affordable. For 1 pitcher of fruit twister for only P120.

There are taxi drivers (Kuya Jomby and Kuya Joy) waiting outside the hotel that offers a city tour, you can always try to haggle with them with regards to the prices of the tour. ^_^

Over all, i think the hotel is okay.....^_^. If ever given a chance to come back to Cebu, I will surely stay again in this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank bengski
Reviewed January 16, 2012

i bought a voucher from ensogo for a family executive room for 699php. price without the voucher was 1398 good for 4 pax. i texted the numbers posted in ensogo to make a reservation. 1 number replied to my query. but when i had a follow up question i no longer had a response. i texted the following day and 2 days after that. still no response. and then i finally just made the long distance call to make a reservation. that was 2 months before we were to arrive. 5 days before our reservation we were at bantayan island. we called up the hotel to confirm our reservation. they said it was confirmed. they texted again after 3 days confirming our reservation. we said yes we were coming. the following day they texted again and again we confirmed the stay. the night before they asked what time we will be arriving. i said 1 noon. and so the following day we arrived exactly 1 noon. the receptionist said they were readying the room and asked for the 500 deposit and told us to be seated. the lobby was very small but had wifi and a comfortable couch. also we were greeted with a smile and a bellboy helped us with our luggage far different form the other sampaguita so we didnt mind. after 30mins the room wasnt done yet so we decided to take a snack at the pantry just outside the lobby. we went back to the lobby 2pm and still the room was not yet available. my friend followed up. they said we can now go up to the room after more than an hour of waiting. they had changed the rm number that they originally gave us. there was an elevator (thank god) so we took it to the 4/f. when we got to our room it was small and did not have a ref as advertised so we went back to the lobby. they said it was the only room readily available and the executive family that we reserved was not yet ready. we paid for the executive room so we waited. 3pm it still was not finished. i was getting annoyed because we were gonna attend my only nephew's 1st bday party. that was why i was in cebu. bantayan and everything else was a side trip. this is the one event that i didnt wanna miss. so i went to the receptionist annoyed but still diplomatic. i questioned why the room wasnt ready when i informed them the night before when they asked that we will be there by 1pm. what was the use of several confirmations. i also explained that i didnt want to be late for an important affair. so finally our room was ready. we didnt had the time to freshen up since the we were getting late alread. we just dropped off our things, change shirts and left. the room was clean (cleaner and newer than the other sampaguita). it had 2 queen beds. a/c was cool and didnt make weird noises like the one in the other sampaguita where we actually had to use the mini soap to hold the vents up--( i forgot to put this in my review)the bellboy was helpful (i didnt see one in the other sampaguita except the one who changed the rug and threw my slippers on the floor), the receptionist greeted us everytime we left and arrived. it was just across the basilica and magellan's cross (this is the reason why i even booked). it was near several grocery stores and restaurants. the lobby has wifi but it tends to get crowded. it was so small so we had to stand up and just use wifi thru our mobile. but compared to the other sampaguita, although this one is smaller, it's newer, cleaner and the staff were more polite and helpful. i wonder how they hire and train people. i hope the owner invests in training the employees in providing great customer service especially the ones in the other sampaguita. to the owner (i hope they are reading their reviews) in my experience, no matter how old or rustic a place may be---if the staff and employees are friendly, polite, repsectful---it wouldn't be that bad. they will keep coming back to you. it is the service that counts the most.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends