“Terrible Hotel”

Gran Prix Hotel & Suites Cebu
Ranked #65 of 80 Cebu City B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 17, 2011

Arrived at this Hotel at around 8am from Mactan-Cebu Airport.
Upon arrival, we asked for early check in since we need to put our things and rest for a bit before going to work. But the Officer said that rooms are fully booked and that we need to wait for 2pm to be able to check in. That's fine. So, we sat down and rest for a while so we have a little energy to get to work and just decided to leave our things at the front desk. But little later around 15mins. the officer said that she already asked someone to clean 2 rooms for us. So for that, we think that hotel is NOT REALLY FULL. because we did not saw anyone checked out.

OVERALL review.
* Very small. All rooms no window!
* Bed sheet, pillow cases and Blanket are all dirty.
* Comfort room's bidet is really dirty and very rusty. EEW!
* Air-condition is not working well. Sometimes it blows very cold and suddenly it stops.
* Shower heater is not working.
* Water for bath is sticky.
* Service is not good.
* for breakfast stub, you need to get it at the front desk in the morning then head to Jollibee for breakfast.

We paid 2 nights at this hotel. But we only used 1 night. Feel depressed. So we need to find another hotel right after breakfast.

Room rate is expensive for the type of rooms they have.

Photos of this hotel from internet is very far from actual. :(
I do not recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms are terrible!
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Janelle G

Reviewed July 5, 2011

My friend an I stayed at this 'econotel' located in the middle of Cebu City located just across the Robinson's Department Store. The rooms are situated in the 3rd and 4th floors of the building. Staff are very helpful. They escorted us from the moment we stepped out the cab till we reached the 3rd floor where the concierge is located.

The first room we had is very small but the lighting made the room look good on pictures. It's very basic with a painting hanging on the wall and an orange lighting above it. Minutes after we opened the AC, water started leaking out towards our bed. We dialed "0" and they offered us another room.

The second room we had is a lot bigger (i think it's the deluxe), now with a table and a chair. There's one cabinet, a painting! and an small LCD TV hanging in the wall. Part of the toilet walls in the shower is starting to mold. The floor is wet when we entered and without any toilet mat. The AC is starting to LEAK again after running for a few hours and the TV remote control isn't working. We dialed "0" again to have them changed.

Bed is with a foam/leather mattress. Linen is very white but the blanket is too thin for me (just one layer) and it isn't made of cotton--feels synthetic, I felt uncomfortable sleeping with it.

The reason I would choose to stay here again is because of its location, but there are other hotels that in the same location that offer value and comfort.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 8, 2010

We stayed here (me, my wife and 5yr son) from Olongapo City during the Holy Week weekend. With all the positive reviews, pretty much all are true or just under it. I'm from Australia and had a two month holiday over there in Phils with my wife and son and we absolutely enjoyed our stay. The moment that stands out the most is when we had our breakky downstairs, where the male owner had time to talk to my little boy ( about pinoy big brother). So warm, so welcoming and the next time I's in Cebu, there'll be no hesitations to go back to this wonderful place. Well done guys and me a warm thank you from me and my family. Enjoyed every seconds of it.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 7, 2010

Pretty much the same like in Manila.
Clean but thin walls and again these artificial leather/plastic matresses i cant sleep on.
My room size, as well as the bath, was ok in size - but also no windows.

The only really nice thing that on 1st floor there was a massage institure where i got everyday 2 different massages for nearly no money (if i remember right the 1,5 hours Thai massage was around 3 EURO or so).

So if you have to do something within Cebu capital and dont want to stay too long its pretty ok - otherwise i would recomend a more expensive but better place instead...

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed October 6, 2010

Stayed for 4 nights.

The Bad: Title of my review says it all. Unless you are a bear in the midst of a deep winter hibernation sleep, forget about sleeping well here, because you can hear everything happening in the hallways, and you can even hear other people talking and their TVs in their rooms even when their doors are closed. You can hear all the doors opening and closing, the doorbells, the children running and yelling in the halls, the late night drunkards mumbling to themselves while they struggle to unlock their doors, the cleaners and their trolley rolling along...etc etc.

There is also some sort of construction happening on the floor below the hotel. The sound of hammering and drills from 8am-6pm 7days a week makes it hard to sleep late even after being awake all night long due to the other rackets.

The singleroom I had was tiny. TV remote only worked if you held it 2.5 feet away from the TV. There was a leak somewhere in the bathroom, so the floor was constantly wet. No window in bedroom. The hotel only provides a paper thin top sheet for the bed. If you want another paper thin sheet they will charge you 50 peso(thats just cheesy).

The good: You may like this budget hotel if sleeping is not important to you. Key card entry. Good split AC unit. Ok location at Fuente Cirlce, and a 70peso cab ride to Ayala. Free, but unrelaible wifi.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank JackRussellDBX
Reviewed August 29, 2010

This Econotel can be a great choice, if your expectations are set correctly. Compare it to a "motel" in the USA, and you'll be a happy camper. It's was a good value, and is not unlike the Sampuguita, across the street.

I added a picture of the exterior of the building. It shows several windows open to the outside. Do not get your hopes up. These windows are vents for the split system air conditioning. There is a service area open to the outside with another interior wall that defines the guest room space. I suppose it is to isolate the sleeping areas from the street noise. I think it was a good choice.

Also, I uploaded a picture of the inside of my room door showing a modern lockset using RFID cards. There is one card per room, and I doubt they are recoded between guests.

Additionally, located in the same building is the Nature Spa. I included an image of some of the prices you can expect there. They are not really part of the hotel. But, I found it to be clean and pleasant. Recommended.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed July 17, 2010

I was not expecting much from a low price hotel; however, this place did not meet even my low expectations.

Cleanliness - 2 stars since there was quite a lot of cobwebs in the bathroom.
Location - 3 stars since it Robinson's Place (with a grocery store) is across the street.
Rooms - 2 stars since no windows.
Service - 3 stars for average service.
Value - 3 stars for low price; however, you get what you pay for.
Sleep Quality - 2 stars since mosquitoes were in my room at least 2 of the 3 nights.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled solo