“Fantastic”

Sugbutel Family Hotel
Ranked #48 of 91 Hotels in Cebu City
Reviewed July 22, 2014 via mobile

What a great find, budget accomodation that is well run, clean and efficient. Splurging I went for first class top bunk. Great sleep, the guests are respectful and quiet there is an outlet to charge the gadgets and a good light in your bunk. I would stay here again if in cebu city.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Kruiza
There are newer reviews for Sugbutel Family Hotel

Reviewed June 3, 2014 via mobile

We didnt get the chance to get a ticket bound for CDO at the port. We decided to go to Camiguin via Bohol instead. We had to stay for a night somewhere near the port.

Sugbutel is just across several ports. Very accessible. At a very affordable rate, our room was really impressive - friendly & accommodating staff, comfy beds and, most importantly, CLEAN.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Anna E
Reviewed June 2, 2014 via mobile

Best go-to-place for backpackers. Cheapest rate is at 250php/night per bed. I chose the one for 450/night. The difference? Well, the more expensive ones are bed spaces available inside cubicles that can be locked and I got a big bag so I paid more for some security. You'll be sharing the cubicle with 7 more people though.

Each bed space has a lamp and an outlet so you can recharge your gadgets. Very nice!

Best to bring your own food. I didn't enjoy my breakfast which was just corned beef with egg and coffee for 80php. The coffee tasted weird.

Bathroom? Not so clean but when you're backpacking, di ka na nagiinarte.

Sugbutel is walking distance from SM City Cebu where you'll find jeepneys that can take you to almost everywhere in Cebu. I'll definitely stay again in this hotel the next time I visit Cebu.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
5  Thank Isangbeng
Reviewed May 28, 2014

if you don't like Cebu traffic congestion this accommodation is for you. It is reasonably priced for the amenities available. Although the surroundings may look very unfriendly for lone visitors walking from SM Mall. Interesting proximity to the SM Mall and CnT roasted pork (lechon). Dorm type rooms also available for the further budget stretch.

Room Tip: executive type rooms preferred
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank NeilHTG
Reviewed May 21, 2014

I stayed at the Sugbutel 2 years ago and the ambience seemed a little nicer compared to my recent stay, however this may be due to their current ongoing rennovations. The accommodation is conveninelty located within walking distance to the pier which worked well for us as we were travelling on to Bohol the following morning. The executive suites are quiet well priced and include a room with tv, aircon, shower, a desk and wi-fi. The room was a little more run down compared to my last stay, however this is not to say that the room was uncomfortable. Upon check-in be aware that you are required to hand over photo ID as a security deposit. I don't like this concept and was very sceptical about this however I did get it back upon check-out. The staff at the desk were nice and place is well guarded with security. Possibly a little too well guarded. We went to knock on our friends door to say hello and were heavily questioned by an armed security guard as to why we were there. There is a small convenience store connected to the lobby. You can order food to the room however it is pretty average food which you should probably only order if you are desperately hungry.

Room Tip: If your a light sleeper try to get a room further from the elevator as people tend to walk in throug...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Koota90
Reviewed April 24, 2014

It was indeed a pleasant surprise for me that something so cheap can be this comfortable.
I was on a 2-day trip in Cebu before I get myself on a boat to CDO, so Sugbutel's location is really ideal given that it's near piers. I was on a very low budget trip and would be spending the rest of my days outside anyway so I opted for the upper part of the bunk bed at 250PHP. Not bad at all! It was comfortable enough and the staff are polite. The bathroom/toilet are clean and there are plenty too so I didn't have to wait in line despite a fully booked place.
I think this place would be my preferred dorm type accommodation whenever I am in Cebu.

Room Tip: Get a corner room so you won't have another person on the bed beside you, just in case you know...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Hkcg
Reviewed March 31, 2014

If you are travelling in groups of 5 or more, this is good but if you are a couple and want a standard private room, look somewhere else. Currently under renovation, it's a bit dusty especially that the road outside is also having a major overhaul. It is near SM and you can walk to the store but just ride on taxi at night for security reasons. They have vending machine for drinks and also a bread and pastry counter at the lobby; and a convenience store right beside the hotel.

Room Tip: Standard room too small; claustrophobic feel - no windows
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family