“perfect for solo travelers/ or groups who are looking for an affordable hotel”

Sugbutel Family Hotel
Ranked #53 of 92 Hotels in Cebu City
Reviewed October 10, 2013

it was my first time in cebu last january 2013. Since my main goal was to experience the world-famous Sinulog and add the fact that i really don't allot a huge amount of money for accommodation(better spend more money on food pasalubong and fare expenses), Sugbutel was like God's Gift for me!

I easily detected the building since it's along the main road(near SM and the ferry ports). Lobby was clean and the front desk staff were accommodating. I reserved via email and they easily found my records.

I availed the cheapest accommodation that they offer, the dorm type. It was located on the 3rd floor. the elevator was kinda small but it's ok, not a big deal. Upon arriving at the floor, there's a security guard in the lobby and he asked for my reservation files and ID. If you're super tired from traveling, it will be a hassle but just think of it as their way of dependable security. Linens and towels are not automatically placed on the dorm bed so you have to ask for it on the lobby area(3rd floor) and leave some ID.

The lobby per floor are equipped with cctv cams(if i remember correctly), a pc unit and tv.

The bed was enough for my body size and there's a security locker below. You'll also have your own electric socket and light in case you want to read books at night and the main room lights are already switched off. Airconditioning units are working properly so you better request for some blankets.

I took a ship(2Go Travel) on my way back to manila so the hotel was also the best choice for me since it's near the ferry port. It's also near SM Cebu where there's a jeepney terminal bound to cebu city and even other places.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
7  Thank musickaren

Reviewed October 4, 2013

Dorms were the only available beds. It is loud and people don't seem to follow the rules stating for guests to be quiet. The staff does not reinforce the rules. The bathrooms are dirty as it is public. Its P350/PAX For beds with linens no pillows or towels. P1050 total for 3. Not worth it. However if you have no where is to go then It's the place to go.

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed September 5, 2013

In total we have stayed there 3 nights on different occasions. Rooms are clean and the place gives a safe impression, which is not unimportant for a place like Cebu.

On the first occasion we stayed there, there was however a notable issue with the reservation.
After having made the reservation by telephone round 8 pm for that evening, I received a text at 9 pm the same day saying that they could not guarantee my reservation and that they prefer walk in guests! I could not believe I had just read that. As I was on a plane that was about to take off, I could not call them again. Fortunately the room was still vacant when we arrived there around 11:15 pm. Although all went well in the end, in my opinion it you can't just cancel a reservation after having accepted it at first. Apart from this, all was fine: very basic room, quiet, clean, no window though (might be an advantage rather than a drawback).

Beware of phone reservations: before you know it, they can be cancelled!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Stef133
Reviewed August 22, 2013

We stayed in one of the executive rooms at the Sugbutel, a perfect choice! Sugbutel is 'big' in dorms, but also has some great 'normal' rooms.

The hotel is quite a walk from the centre. When we where there it had just rained a lot, which makes walking almost impossible. Taxis are (as anywhere in the Philippines) cheap and omni-present. The jeepneys, which run in front of the hotel, don't go to the centre, but do go to SM-mall.

The room was nice and clean, with a good bed. The service and security is perfect. When we had a problem with our toilet, the maintenance guy was there within a few minutes to fix it.

A downside to it is that there is no bar or restaurant nearby. No breakfast or dinner here. SM-mall is very close, with plenty of choice in (fast)food, but a bar would have been nice. At ground level there is a small shop, which sells some drinks and snacks.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 18, 2013

I thought this hotel is just like the other "low priced" hotels and pension houses in Cebu, but was amazed to see that it's a way way better than the rest - the place is clean and the room is nice. And I like their bed and the pillows - I used to have backaches when sleeping in hotels..but in this hotel sleeping is very comfortable. The staff as well are very nice and friendly. I was attending a company training until 6PM but was still able to do a lot of shopping because SM City Cebu is located very near to the hotel. Will be going back to Cebu on October and will surely stay again at Sugbutel.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank pjmanila_01
Reviewed July 12, 2013

We had read the mixed comments here in Tripadvisor, but since Sugbutel is located really close to ferry terminal we decided to try it anyway.

We did not have a reservation and upon walk-in they told us that there is no room in normal dorms, but with 500 pesos (double the usual price) we could stay in “Premium dorm”. We took the offer and headed to upstairs where very impolite security guard demanded to see our ID:s again (it’s not like 3 guys with pack bags would come to rob the place. Well at least they do have a good security!)

We were handed out sheets and towels (seems that also in premium class you have to do your own bed) and the employee working upstairs asked to get our passports which we could claim back upon returning the sheets. Seems that we looked really untrustworthy! We did not want to give out our passports and settled on leaving 1000 pesos as a security deposit instead)

Premium class dorm was just the same that every other dorm, but included a water bottle. There was the premium advantage of having only 4 beds in the room, but as the whole sleeping area of about 50+ beds is open space this really did not make any difference. Felt like a rip-off all in all. For some reason the package does not include actual pillow (or pillow casing for the weird pillowish part of the bed – can be seen in photo). As there was big group of Asian tourist leaving early around the morning (4:00AM) and making a lot of noise we hardly got any sleep even as sleeping with earplugs.

There was no hot water when showering (might been just part of the day. That is common in Philippines) But if name says Bath I would expect some hot water at least.

Internet did not work at all. You could connect the wifi network, but there was no internet connection. We had asked about internet upon check in, so at this point we were quite pissed off. When asking about it again they told that "it is slow, because so many people are using it". However that was not the case, there just simply was no internet connectivity at all. One person who had stayed there for several days said that the internet has not been available during his stay.

When leaving we asked how to get Pier 4 (ferry to Tegbilaran) and were told that it is way too far to walk and takes 10-15mins with taxi. We took taxi from the front of Sugbutel and drove about 2 minutes to destination, which was very close. Luckily the taxi agreed using meter.

It would be a decent place to sleep for few hundred, but paying 500 and getting all this negative service made it a very bad stay

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Tropico_MK
Reviewed July 8, 2013

I got stranded in Cebu due to peak season of sea trips going to Leyte. So while I was walking out of the pier I just used my phone to see if there are hotel vacancies nearby. I checked this Sugbutel and found that it was really affordable and so I booked it and before I reached the place, I already got my voucher. The place was clean. But the wifi is poor. If you just need a quick and affordable stay, you could consider this one. But it feels just like living in a dorm.

Room Tip: I think there are special solo rooms which cost a little higher. For me, as a male, it's ok st...