“Nice choice for solo travelers”

Sugbutel Family Hotel
Ranked #51 of 91 Hotels in Cebu City
Ebina, Japan
“Nice choice for solo travelers”
Reviewed March 25, 2012

I have been reading lots of good reviews about this hostel as well as good reviews from my friends who have stayed here, so we decided to stay here. Surprisingly, many locals and taxi drivers were not aware of this place, better add, "It's near Radisson Blu or SM.."

We stayed here for two separate nights and I just got home today from Cebu. Love their beds, very comfortable. This is a very good choice if you will book 1 month prior to your stay, they have a promo of P99/night only exclusive of linens and towel. We didn't avail that as we booked to Cebu two weeks prior to our trip.

We stayed in bed bunk. Their upper bed is only P50 cheaper from the lower bed, we chose lower bed during our first night here and then upper bed during our second night. The only thing that I like in this hostel? Location wise! Only 20 to 30 mins away from the Mactan airport, 7 to 10 min walk to SM City Cebu etc.

However, since I traveled with a friend, I realized that we should have better yet chosen a hostel or hotel that is private with the same price individually. We're friends and we exchange stories, expect ourselves to be noisy. And bit boring as there are no near place here to hang out.

Around midnight, their store closes and we were really thirsty, there's no nearby store in this place if clock will hit at that time. Good thing, staffs were kind enough to give a glass of water. Maybe if we stayed along Mango Avenue, 24-hr Mercury Drug store was very accessible for us. Then rooms will start to get noisy around 6 am.

And, if I will travel again to Cebu with a friend, I might not stay here, I could stay here if I will be traveling solo though.

Room Tip: Careful, some of their upper bed bunk doesn't have side rails, better yet look at the bed first...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Ada W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Manila
Reviewed March 8, 2012

I learned about Sugbutel from a bunch of friends who were also traveling with us to Cebu. We were in transit for a trip in South Cebu (Moalboal) to Camotes Island in North Cebu and didn't plan on staying, till our friends told us the bunk beds were just Php 250 bucks--a mere 5 dollars compared to the usual Php 1200 for cheapest single rooms in hotels.

We stayed in the dorm room for 8 people. Beds there are like the sleeper beds in trains with individual curtains. The place was air conditioned, and the comfort rooms are common. Everything was surprisingly very clean. There's a common area that has an LCD TV, vending machines and wifi access.

In terms of location, it's in the reclamation area which is in the middle of Mactan and Cebu City. We found the place to be ideal, especially because it is near SM and the North Bus Station, which are main transit places to catch the ride to Camotes Island. It is also one ride away from the Ayala IT Park, which is very nifty if you want to experience the Cebu night life.

Good value for money overall

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank AdaTheExplorer
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed January 31, 2012

In the first quarter of 2011, me and my friends have planned out a trip to Cebu City and Bantayan Island which is located on the northern tip of Cebu. Our plan was just to stay in Cebu City for a night as a jumping off place going to other parts of Cebu and maybe get a DIY short city tour. I tried reading forums and threads from pinoy exchange and also asked around Cebuano friends, also read blogs, basta research talaga kasi I didn't want to sacrifice comfort and convenience with the goal of minimizing cost to allot resources to more important things for us to pull off our trip and so I came into a conclusion na for us to stay in Sugbutel Bed & Bath and so we did. We made the right decision.

Imagine, you can get a bed in a dormitory like or maybe more of like a backpackers inn which you can share with other travelers for as low as 99 pesos but of course there's a catch there. We didn't get to avail that discount but we only paid 350 pesos per head. That is not bad at all I think, and see it more like a steal. Its location is very strategic because it is near the Airport and SM is just nearby and taxi availability is never a problem I noticed as taxis are available even past midnight. The view though on its roof deck is not as good but who stays at the roof deck forever? Google their website. It may come very informative if you have intentions of checking this place out. Have fun.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank stableunstable
Japan
Reviewed January 21, 2012

For the Sinulog season I actually wanted to get a hotel near where the action is. Too bad all are already fully booked so I settled with Sugbutel. This decision turned to be good. Not only did I have a pleasant stay but the staff were also nice. On my first day of arrival, I decided to open my luggage, when I put in my combination to the built in lock, unfortunately the luggage just would not open. the guards help me pry it and they were really helpful. The porter and guard were also very helpful in hailing cabs and bringing luggage to the room. I feel that I am strategically located even if I am not at the center because it is nearby the airport and the north bus station where I would be needing to go to early in the morning for the bus trip to Hagnaya en route to Bantayan Island.

I just did not notice a restaurant. I hope more stores would crop up in this area though because the only establishment to run to would be SM yet.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed November 29, 2011

We stayed here last week for 1 night, since we are booked for our trip to Bohol the next day. It is conveniently located near the Cebu port. It is one of a kind hostel. It makes you feel that you are in a cabin. :) There are some cockroaches though. However, for just 99php per bed if you book in advance and just for a 4-5 hours sleep after a busy day in Cebu city, this is just worth it.

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side are quieter.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank jojo_rhei
Reviewed November 23, 2011

Upon walking in I saw cockroaches everywhere. They were all dead but still... clean your hotel.

There was constant pounding and hammering ALL NIGHT! don't expect to sleep. How can you rent rooms to people knowing they will have no reasonable peace and quiet? Warning: GO SOMEWHERE ELSE!

• Stayed November 2011
Sugbutel B, Marketing OIC at Sugbutel Family Hotel, responded to this review, December 4, 2011
We apologize for the inconveniences you experienced while staying with us.

As part of our thrust to provide clean facilities for our guests, Management schedules regular "misting" in order to rid the premises of pests.

It is unfortunate that you chanced upon the "after-effects" of the misting process, which explains why all the pests were dead. Immediately afterwards, Management scheduled a clean-up.

As to the pounding and hammering, we are currently on the process of constructing more private rooms as part of our expansion. Our Front Office Staff are advised to always inform guests of the construction schedule (8am - 5pm) so guests know what to expect prior to their check-in, giving them the option to continue check-in, or to opt for another hotel. Signs indicating the ongoing construction are also posted in visible areas in the hotel premises.

Given that, we regret that your stay with us had been unsatisfactory.

If you may allow us, we'd love to have you stay with us again during the opening of our new rooms come early 2012. Your feedback will greatly help how we conduct our operations.

Travelers are raving about these Cebu City hotels

Reviewed September 6, 2011

It looks nice. The staff (and security) are friendly. Reasonably priced rates! Within walking distance from a big mall (SM Mall) and close to most of the piers (though maybe not walking distance); able to catch buses (jeepny) to other places pretty easily right in front. It isn't in the best of neighborhoods but if your just smart about things, no worries!

• Stayed September 2011