“Rooms are clean and new”

Sugbutel Family Hotel
Ranked #54 of 92 Hotels in Cebu City
Reviewed January 21, 2012

For the Sinulog season I actually wanted to get a hotel near where the action is. Too bad all are already fully booked so I settled with Sugbutel. This decision turned to be good. Not only did I have a pleasant stay but the staff were also nice. On my first day of arrival, I decided to open my luggage, when I put in my combination to the built in lock, unfortunately the luggage just would not open. the guards help me pry it and they were really helpful. The porter and guard were also very helpful in hailing cabs and bringing luggage to the room. I feel that I am strategically located even if I am not at the center because it is nearby the airport and the north bus station where I would be needing to go to early in the morning for the bus trip to Hagnaya en route to Bantayan Island.

I just did not notice a restaurant. I hope more stores would crop up in this area though because the only establishment to run to would be SM yet.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed November 29, 2011

We stayed here last week for 1 night, since we are booked for our trip to Bohol the next day. It is conveniently located near the Cebu port. It is one of a kind hostel. It makes you feel that you are in a cabin. :) There are some cockroaches though. However, for just 99php per bed if you book in advance and just for a 4-5 hours sleep after a busy day in Cebu city, this is just worth it.

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side are quieter.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank jojo_rhei
Reviewed November 23, 2011

Upon walking in I saw cockroaches everywhere. They were all dead but still... clean your hotel.

There was constant pounding and hammering ALL NIGHT! don't expect to sleep. How can you rent rooms to people knowing they will have no reasonable peace and quiet? Warning: GO SOMEWHERE ELSE!

• Stayed: November 2011
Sugbutel B, Marketing OIC at Sugbutel Family Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2011

We apologize for the inconveniences you experienced while staying with us.

As part of our thrust to provide clean facilities for our guests, Management schedules regular "misting" in order to rid the premises of pests.

It is unfortunate that you chanced upon the "after-effects" of the misting process, which explains why all the pests were dead. Immediately afterwards, Management scheduled a clean-up.

As to the pounding and hammering, we are currently on the process of constructing more private rooms as part of our expansion. Our Front Office Staff are advised to always inform guests of the construction schedule (8am - 5pm) so guests know what to expect prior to their check-in, giving them the option to continue check-in, or to opt for another hotel. Signs indicating the ongoing construction are also posted in visible areas in the hotel premises.

Given that, we regret that your stay with us had been unsatisfactory.

If you may allow us, we'd love to have you stay with us again during the opening of our new rooms come early 2012. Your feedback will greatly help how we conduct our operations.

Reviewed September 6, 2011

It looks nice. The staff (and security) are friendly. Reasonably priced rates! Within walking distance from a big mall (SM Mall) and close to most of the piers (though maybe not walking distance); able to catch buses (jeepny) to other places pretty easily right in front. It isn't in the best of neighborhoods but if your just smart about things, no worries!

• Stayed: September 2011
2  Thank Ambassador43n1
Reviewed August 25, 2011

We checked-in during our transient period in Cebu because our flight was early in the morning and we just needed someplace to stay/rest/sleep that's cheap and we can all fit in one room. My group were composed of 7 people and the business room bunkbeds was enough for all of us. Although there were no included bedsheet/linen (don't worry, the beds are covered in leatherette so you can still sleep on it) and the bathroom is shared, all of the facilities are clean and the staff is very much accomodating. There's also a plug for charging your camera, cellphone and laptop as well as individual light per bunk bed. There is a convenience store at the ground floor but it's not a 7-11 or mini stop franchise but it can do.

Will definitely stay again here in Sugbutel! :D

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 23, 2011

The place is clean but when there's more people around the room get so stuffy & I can even smell some body odors. The business class is more really very crowded. I'm glad that I stayed in the First Class but still you cannot avoid those people who don't follow rules even if it is written clearly. I guess it's best to put more exhaust fan or something that can ventilate the air inside the room so the smell wont stuck inside. Close to SM shopping mall which is very convenient for anyone. Just don't walk at night for your safety.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank Faithie7325
Reviewed February 15, 2011

While walking from SM to Sugbutel at 8pm alone, a stranger put his arm over my shoulder and started talking to me in the local dialect which I couldn't understand. I tried removing his arm by instinct but he held on. That was when I realized i was being robbed. I shouted so loud and that freaked him out so he ran away. I took a jeepney to Sugbutel and started talking to the guard and staff about it but they politely said that since their location is at the pier, it really is a dangerous place and walking is not recommended at all. I requested that they should at least tell their customers that piece of valuable information without having to experience it first hand. The hostel is a nice place to stay in but after this incident, I wouldn't want the others to experience being held up like I did. Just take the jeepney or taxi to go around if you really want to stay in this place.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo