“Lack of Security!”

Ranked #23 of 76 Cebu City B&B and Inns
Bali, Indonesia
“Lack of Security!”
Reviewed May 24, 2013

Had unacceptable experience in this B&B. I lost money in the room of this B&B while I stay. It's obviousely stolen while I'm out of the room, because here doesn't have safety box so I always put my money envelope in my carrier and closed my carrier. But unfortunately, after I check out and way to the airport, I noticed there are $300 and 3,000 pesos are missing in the envelope which I didn't even take out. This means hotel staff came into the room while I was outside even there was DND sign (I always put Do not Disturb sign since c/in til c/out) and open the guest's carrier and take money! Fact there were some more money in the envelope but they took 3 notes from USD and 3 notes from PHP so it makes people cannot notice easily. This B&B ruined my travel and gave me bad image about Philippines.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Anna K

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed May 20, 2013

We stayed here for our first 2 nights in the Philippines and were glad we chose Casa Escano. The family room (2 queen beds) was spacious and comfortable. We arrived late on the first night but this was not a problem. The staff were very helpful and easily arranged a driver to take us to Danoe for our ferry to Camotes Islands on the day we departed. The dining in Don Merto's was a highlight and we were very appreciative of the hospitality, particularly the personal service of Janice and Jason. Wifi from the restaurant was quick and easy. The only problem we experienced was the tap fitting coming off in our bathroom each time we used it. We would stay here again if visiting Cebu City.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Shemhast
Dear Shemhast,

Thank you very much for your kind review. We have upgraded our service by assigning a butler service exclusively for you for the duration of your stay. That was what Janice & Jason did.

We also appreciate your comment on the bathroom tap & have fixed the problem.

For giving time to write a review, we have a surprise for you when you come back !

See you soon.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed April 10, 2013

We were only suppose to stay here for 5 days but we ended up staying in additional 10 days. We were treated like family. Their service staff is remarkable, the rooms are spacious and comfortable, the food is excellent. This bed and breakfast is the model for all bed and breakfasts. Amenities include wi-fi, air-conditioning, hot and cold showers, and cable television, and a restaurant that serves family recipes.

We had a little miscommunication as they did not have a family room available for my sister's booking (they had the family room booked) so I complained and said that the family room was what they purchased and paid for. Not only did they fix the problem of giving my sister a family room but they also upgraded my room (free of charge from deluxe to family) and gave my whole party rooms on the same floor.

This is where I will be staying when I am in Cebu for now on.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank applesomoza
Dear Applesomoza,

By your name I can tell that you're a foodie & we are glad that you rated our restaurant as well as the B&B as excellent. We always try to do our best to make our customers happy (pampered) & our staff were commended for it.

Do let us know when you come back as we have a surprise for you !
Hanoi, Vietnam
Reviewed March 24, 2013

I had contacted this hotel several times by email with the effort to make a booking with them for my trip in Cebu. It was unpleasant experience. I must say that their booking system is really a nightmare for who try to get a direct booking like me. I emailed them first to ask their room rate and the way to make reservation but i only got one email which suggested me reserving the room via phone call ??? After too many time trying to contact them without getting their reply, i felt really disappointed. How they could ignore my emails even i informed them that i dont like to book their room via Agoda or any other sites to make more benefit for them as i know that they must pay commission ( 20-25 % ) for those sites. Then i made 2 room inquiries via their website but still no respond. Finally, i did make the booking with Agoda without any trouble. To be honest, the hotel is in a good location and it offers a nice restaurant with great food. Room is clean, quiet, provides everything you need. Breakfast included and very delicious. However, the wifi is very very weak and almost not available in the room, it is only good at the restaurant. Another thing that i was confused about the hotel staff as i only met their guard boys and some restaurant staffs during my stay so i was not sure who is responsible for customer service :). However, it is not so important as everyone i met there were friendly and helpful especially the security guide at nite. Overall, the staff really made my stay so i changed my mind to rate them at good level instead of poor as i planed before my arrival.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Happy coffee be... N
Dear Julie N,

We apologize for all the trouble you went thru in trying to book directly with us. You are correct that it would have been much easier to do so. Our reservations officer (Rae) would have taken care of that swiftly if communications is not a problem.

We are glad that the service you experienced when you stayed with us made you change your mind & give us a better review.

When you come back, pls look for our GM so we can reciprocate your taking the time to write out a review.
Bohol Island, Philippines
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Hotel is old style, small, near the mall, environment is nice even though it's in the middle of the city, rooms are not expensive and quite roomy, beds are comfortable and mattresses are thick, tv has great reception, bathroom has hot shower, friendly and helpful staff, complimentary breakfast, not a super busy hotel, quite relaxing. Food is awesome, they even have all-you-can eat dishes at dinnertime.

They decorated the surrounding yard with stone tiles but it got muddy and the grass in between disappeared. The pebbles are buried under the dirt. Location is hard to find, the sign board of the hotel is hidden under the tree leaves and it's hard to read because of the cursive writing. Tell the driver it's across the street from "Vacation Hotel" because apparently they know where that is. Hot shower is powered by an electric heater in-shower, it doesn't heat directly and when it does it's way too hot. The shower curtains rack doesn't look very sturdy. TV is old. Wi-Fi reception is low in the room. Floorboards creak, but acceptable since it's old.

Note: This is my review copied from agoda.com.

Room Tip: There's not a lot of rooms to choose from. After all, it is a "casa" (house).
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank raykyogrou0
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed December 24, 2012

Good location and customer service, comfortable rooms. Its the perfect place stay if you are looking for peace and quiet. The restaurant serves good food. The ambiance is also relaxing.

It is a nice feeling that people here sincerely care about you and if you are enjoying your vacation.

1. As we were unable to do much research, we had to rely on the staff to provide suggestions on best places to see, eat, and shop.

2. We were told that they don't offer room service but as the restaurant was about to close, their staff was kind enough to accommodate our request. What a way to end a tiring day of sight seeing!! We were so thankful!

I definitely recommend this place! It is worth every penny!!

Room Tip: Not all cabs are familiar how to get here. Better print out the address and map just to be sure.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Arian_Traveller
jedco, Owner at Casa Escano, responded to this review, December 26, 2012
Dear Arian Traveler,

Thank you for your time in writing out a review of Casa Escaño. We try to make your stay as pleasant as possible.

The reason for the "no meals" in the rooms is that we try to avoid those little pests that feast on food that accidentally fall to the floor & might be overlooked by our housekeeping staff.

Again, we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Jimmy Escaño

p.s. pls look for Aneth (GM) or myself on your next visit for your surprise gift.
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed December 16, 2012 via mobile

Casa Escaño is strategically located in the heart of Cebu City. It's near Ayala Center and the Capitol, which are actually within walking distance from this B&B.

Its room rate per night is pretty reasonable. We paid a little over PHP 2,000 per night for a deluxe room.

However, the good stuff ends there. Casa Escaño's flaw is its CUSTOMER SERVICE. How and why?

1. When I sent a copy of the deposit slip for my payment on November 14, I never even received an acknowledgement message. It left me wondering whether I sent it to the wrong email address or deposited it to the wrong account. Someone from the staff called my landline, but I was away. I asked via email to contact me through mobile, but still did not get any response. My husband had to call 2 weeks before our trip to confirm if our accommodation was all good. Unfortunately, the only person available to pick up the call was from the kitchen and he wasn't knowledgeable on the room resevations. As such, I emailed Casa Escaño again inquiring about our reservation. They responded in December 3 that they received the deposit slip and were confirming our reservation. In fairness though, they apologized. So I let that slide.

2. Casa Escaño's staff does not disclose all information that their guests needed to know. We were NEVER informed that they do not clean the room unless the guest asked them to. We went on a whole-day tour from 9AM to 6PM. We were expecting to rest on a comfortable bed after that long day, but much to our dismay, we went home to an unmade bed and untidy toilets, with our used towels still on the floor. We were surprised that there was no housekeeping staff that attended to our room. It was only then that their security guard, yes, SECURITY GUARD, told us that they do not make-up the rooms unless the guest instructed them to. Had the staff informed us that policy that morning over breakfast, we wouldn't be bothering the security guard to get towels for us in the middle of the heavy rain.

3. We ordered for a soda on our first night, and they told us that it will be charged to our room. Upon check-out, we were not billed for that soda so I had to inform them about that too. Good thing I was an honest customer. Some guests might just not report that.

In the service and tourism industry, CLIENT SATISFACTION should always be the objective of the business. Apparently, for Casa Escaño, they do not value this at all. It now makes me wonder why TripAdvisor awarded them a Certificate of Excellence.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Karla Y
jedco, General Manager at Casa Escano, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Dear Ms. Karla,

We sincerely apologize.. The concerned department has been investigated and action were taken.

We truly believe that the matter could have been handled in a better manner and should have follow the proper operation system. I hope this does not stop you from giving us another chance to be of your service.