“In ten months this must be the worst”

C'est La Vie Pension
C'est La Vie Pension
Ranked #46 of 77 Cebu City B&B and Inns
Cebu Island, Philippines
“In ten months this must be the worst”
Reviewed January 24, 2011

it sounds to good to be true, Wifi, warm water and aircon. for 750P, in the end only the aircon works.
We had mice in our room and had to remove more than 10 big cockroaches, after that we had to spray our room with cockroache killer spray. The lady behind the desk had just finished her second painting and you have to wake up pretty early to make her smile. The guard on his flipflop is making the circus complete. You can enjoy Celine Dion all night long since the karaoke bar is right across the street.

Do not stay here.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank roelveltman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Davao City, Philippines
Reviewed January 21, 2011

This pension house is cheaper compared to others in that area. The rooms are very simple. But one thing I like in this place is its central location - near to church, banks, restos, bars, spas, malls, bookstore, hospital, etc. It is also accessible to all destinations in the city. It has also a free wi-fi. Though the bathroom is not so clean, but tolerable.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank slazenger552
Davao City, Philippines
Reviewed August 18, 2010

It's fun to be in this place. Near restos and fun. Rooms not so clean. Staffs are great.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank slazenger552
Cebu Island, Philippines
Reviewed July 28, 2010

I stayed at this pension house for 2 months as I needed a place to come home to while I attended summer classes. The pension house suited my basic needs. No apartment rentals can beat the rates. C'est La Vie Pension gave me a full week's discount (almost P5,000) for paying them in advance for the month!

SERVICE. I can't really say much about the service, because the staff merely recorded my name upon check-in and collected my payment. The pension house isn't strict about check-in and check-out times and I find the staff approachable and willing to assist when asked.

I had my laundry hand-washed by the cleaning lady on several occasions. She charged me by piece: P10 for each shirt and P15 each for a pair of pants. Later during my stay, I had them done by a commercial laundry shop at Raintree Mall which charged by the kilo.

ROOM. My room was in the third floor facing Brew's Grill and Baseline across (so yes, loud singing is a common fare, especially on Friday and Saturday nights). It was spacious and had a passable bathroom. The beddings were far from luxurious, so I brought my own to use. I also had some family members sleep over occasionally. We were able to inflate our extra queen-size aerobed without any trouble.

LOCATION. Disregarding the bit about noisy singing at the bars nearby, the pension house is sited at a prime location because everything else is walking distance. It's just 1 block away from St. Theresa's College, 2 blocks away from National Bookstore and Mango Square and a leisurely stroll towards the Redemptorist Church. When you cross the street (where the stoplights are), you can walk to Jollibee - Mango, Raintree Mall and Robinson's.

The best part is that there are a lot of other places to stay nearby in case you change your mind about C'est La Vie Pension! I can remember Casa Rosario (same block but an “L” turn from Ce’st La Vie as you head for Redemptorist Church), NS Royal Pensionne (same road, 2 blocks further) and Century Plaza Hotel (across), but I know there are more.

AMENITIES. The place has no amenities I can think of. Since C'est La Vie doesn't even have its own canteen, you have to step out to eat – whether to get some takeaway food or dine in at the restaurant of your choice. I had mine usually at Brew's Grill because it's just right across the street and I could request the staff to deliver my meals to my room. On a positive note, the area itself is a WiFi hotspot so my lappie could connect to the Internet for free. The connection wasn't as reliable as I'd want it, but at least it was there.

To round up this review, let me say that C'est La Vie Pension is not exactly intended for the tourist with expensive taste but will suit students, young party animals, job hunters and backpackers who need to budget their finances and aren't picky about their creature comforts. It's also a passable place for locals who want to witness the Sinulog festival.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
5 Thank teecup
Reviewed June 29, 2010

At night after 8 p.m. to 2 a.m. just forget about sleeping!! It is not posdible the bar infront of this place is the noisiedt wth the Lousiedt music (Noise) you will ever hear, so stay AWAY...

• Stayed April 2009
2 Thank madito

Travelers are raving about these Cebu City hotels

New Zealand
Reviewed January 6, 2009

We had problems finding decent accommodation in Cebu City, we stayed at this place first for two nights before changing hotels (the staff did change our room at this hotel but it was no better). The A/C worked, and there was hot water, but it was so noisy at night from all the karaoke bars nearby that we couldn't sleep. It's a fairly bleak, dreary place and we much preferred the other Pensione we stayed at, which was just up the road but much quieter and had much nicer rooms for about the same money.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — The noise at night
  • Stayed March 2007