“location and staff” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #42 of 87 Hotels in Cebu City
usa
“location and staff”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2013

i stay at this hotel from 11 to 22 april 2013 ..good location and the staff was very helpful..and the room and hallway kept clean..major problem was ..the clothes cabinet was too small...no shower curtains (things got wet) the room was so small rate was 998 pesos per (get what you pay for i guess) my room was located away from the street was a plus and there is a 24 hour pharmacy (with securtiy and atm in the pharmacy ) security at the hotel was good..the staff was most helpful./.(note>>i tiped a lot nothing big but a show of appreciation) this helped a lot...there was no joiner fee (if you bring in a lady who is not registered with you ) some hotels charge this they want most times but be aware of it..saves on shock late at night..most girls know anyway...hotel is across the street from Robinsons plaza has all the things you want..food court in the basement..internet shop on the first floor...dont think sampaguita had wi fy..may have i no have a pc so it was not an issue... the hotel is located a stones throw from mango square where you can disco or pick up a companion if you did not already have a lady with you..the area where the hotel is located is not noisy except for the street traffic...the two people that really helped me was the bellman mr Jerry and the desk clerk ms Karen.. real nice and helpful..as most of the staff were..like i sayed i tipped so it helps...would i stay here again maybe..location is vital and aircon and good shower with curtains and clean sheets and towels..clean surroundings in the hotel ..

Room Tip: get a big room ..be sure the air con can keep the room cool..had to have a room fan included..clothe...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank mitchthesailor
Manuel P, Public Relations Manager at Sampaguita Suites JRG, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Thank you very much for your review. Maybe next time, you should try our other bigger rooms or maybe ask the front desk to show you around the other rooms.

Thank you for your comment on our linen and towels. Thank you too for taking notice of our good location and convenient surroundings.

We hope to see you again on your return to Cebu City!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Korean first
Preston, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2013

I have stayed in this area of Cebu several times over the last 10 years. Noticed the Sampaguita suites and thought it looked nice. Found their web site and booked a double room for 3 nights from March 15.

First room they gave me, same floor as reception, on the landing next to the coffee shop, had only a tiny window above the bed right next to another building so affording almost no day light. I really don't like that - you don't know if its night or day. I requested a move to a room with window. I was offered a bigger room at considerably more money with a wheelchair ramp into a larger bathroom that did have a window. Meaning the bathroom door had to be wide open all the time to get day light. Declined that. Then offered another room on the same floor, landing in the far corner of the lobby, with the same small high up window as the 1st room, but this time not directly next to another building, so at least there was some daylight.

The room was clean and the bed comfy.

Upon taking a shower I found the shower head very dirty with more holes blocked than open. It directed what little water there was everywhere around the bathroom except on me. I mentioned this to front desk and requested they fit a new head. A very inexpensive item. Why do previous guests not report things like this? On returning to the room late afternoon the following day it hadn't been done. I asked again, they sent a bellboy who changed it for ......... wait for it .......another dirty used ones except it had more clear holes. Words failed me, they are such a cheap item. If I'd been staying a week I'd have gone a bought one myself!

Before dark I checked the the fire escape route as you always should in every hotel & remember where it is in relation to your room. Only to find the fire escape door pad locked. I brought this to the attention of front desk who said if there was a fire they would come and unlock it. Yeah right. I pointed out what if the fire started in reception (perhaps in the mobile air conditioning unit there) and suggested they would be straight down the stairs and outside.
They then sent someone with a key to unlock it. He opened the door & i noticed a VERY steep stair well with virtually no apparent lighting.

At night I went out for a wander & a beer, as you do. On my return, I checked the door again before retiring for the night only to find it locked again. Back to front desk again who said they did not have a key. I mentioned about the Santika night club fire in Bangkok in 2009 where 66 people perished and 222 were injured because the fire doors were locked. I asked if they would like something like that on their conscience? I had noticed earlier that the key had been produced from behind the desk. So I refused to go the room to sleep and said I would sit in the lobby & sleep until they found the key. Miraculously, 5 minutes later the key was found and door the unlocked.

Next day it was locked again and I once again had to request it be unlocked before sleeping.

After 2 nights I'd had enough of the poor shower, dingy room & locked fire door, said my business plans had changed & checked out.
Before leaving the room I thought I'll get my camera and photograph the locked door. Would you believe it - the lock had been removed. Gone. No longer there.

Now that was my experience on that landing. I don't know about other landings, but if staying here I would strongly urge you check the fire escape doors.

On checking out I asked if they had a luggage storage facility. Yes they did. They kindly looked after my 2 bags for the day. I had to ask for the ticket. On returning for the bags early evening, with a taxi waiting outside, it took them about 10 minutes to find the bags. ..... or rather to find the right person with a key to the right room. (seems they have 2 bag store rooms).

I will add that the lady who appeared to be the duty manager, was polite and as helpful as possible throughout all of the above when she was on duty.

've stayed in many hotels in Asia and around the world over 10 years so I do have bench marks from which to judge.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank Jonathan B

Travelers are raving about these Cebu City hotels

Davao City, Philippines
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013

I was not able to go to Cebu yet and as i tried to search for a hotel near the tourist spots, I'd say the location of this hotel near Osmeña is excellent, however, when i tried to call and inquire further about the rooms, the attendant was a little bit impatient when being asked. Now I am having a second thought of booking or not pursuing anymore. This is my first time to book a hotel in Cebu but sorry, your service was a little bit off for a first timer like me..

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Ma D
Manuel P, Public Relations Manager at Sampaguita Suites JRG, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Thank you for your comments. We are so sorry to hear that you have been disappointed by the way our front desk handled your phone inquiry. We will immediately inform our supervisor to look into this incident and advise front desk to practice proper courtesy and congeniality in answering all phone calls. We suggest that you try calling the hotel again and see if there has bee any difference. We appreciate that you took time to inform us about this.
Cebu Island, Philippines
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

Alot of my previous complaints at JRG such as FALSE ADVERTISING, dusty rooms, extra charge for more than 1 sheet, and bad front desk service were the samer here. At the previous location there was blatant false advertising on their website. Also, they only gave one towel per room although there were two beds and i paid for two people. JRG gave two towels per room, although the room still was dusty.

There was still FALSE ADVERTISING here because the wifi wouldn't work in the room.

I recommend guests go across the street to Gran Prix.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank TravelerJoe77
Manuel P, Public Relations Manager at Sampaguita Suites JRG, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
It's very sad to hear that you had another unpleasant experience in another one of our hotels. We have already rectified and updated the wifi ad on our website about 2 weeks ago. Thank you for giving attention to this matter. I have already informed our supervisor about your concern and we will do our best to serve you better nex time.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

We'd booked online to this hotel for a standard room (4D/3N). Great location and services! Helpful and gentle staff. The room is clean and they did a room cleaning daily on request. There's a 24-hr grocery store just outside the hotel and many other stores, restaurants and fastfoods nearby. The only thing is that the room is too small and aircon is noisy located very near to your head and it really disturbs when you're sleeping. Hope next time we can have a better room. Thank you though for the great staff and services.

• Stayed January 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Manuel P, Public Relations Manager at Sampaguita Suites JRG, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
We would like to thank you for your review. We value your comments and suggestions and appreciate the inputs you have made about our hotel. We will definitely look into the problem about the air conditioning and tell our maintenance crew to make a regular preventive maintenance inspection to avoid problems with our guests. On your return to our hotel, you should try our other rooms that offer more space. Thank you and see you again soon.
Cebu City
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013

No hotwater in the bathroom. Electric water heater was out of order
Reception service was OK(front desk)

I booked the Hotel on Feb 17,
on 18th and 19th of Feb, I tried to cancell the Room of the Hotel
but cud not access!! and Finally I stayed the Hotel

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

2 Thank Shuji H
Manuel P, Public Relations Manager at Sampaguita Suites JRG, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Thank you for spending time to send this review. You could have requested for a room transfer at front desk and we would have willing moved you to another room. I hope that on your return to Cebu, you will still be a patron of our hotel and we'll do our best to serve you better.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013

I stayed here twice in January 2012. Having read reviews online decided it would be a good punt but being conservative I booked the single room so I wasn't wasting too much money if it turned out to be bad. Also I was arriving at 2am in the morning so only needed somewhere to sleep and shower. All the reviews pretty much sum up the place - the rooms are clean and on the small side but perfectly acceptable, staff were friendly, air con units are a bit noisy but I've experienced much worse. The real problem is the patchy wifi connection - you can get wifi all over the hotel but it cuts in and out all the time (even in the lobby area where it's supposed to be at it's best). I noticed someone in the lobby using wifi and asked if he was having better luck than me to which he told me he was using a mobile dongle as the hotel wifi was so bad! Second time I stayed I booked a double room - and actually the single was nicer. The double looked much more worn out! Again the wifi was intermitent and it got very irritating as I was trying to arrange onward travel tickets and it would not stay connected long enough in one session to let me book tickets. So the final result for me: single room is good value and great as somewhere to crash; double room is not such good value if you need or rely on wifi use (which, let's face it, most of us do nowadays!). I would have scored it considerably higher if they had the wifi working properly.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Manuel P, Public Relations Manager at Sampaguita Suites JRG, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Thank you very much for your generous rating despite having a sad experience with our wifi service. Unfortunately, the local telephone company has not yet attended to our complaint but for sure we will follow this up.
We're happy to hear that you choose to keep coming back to our hotel. We hope that in your return, the wifi service would have been fixed. Thank for giving attention to this. We appreciate your comments. Until we see you again.