“not worth the hassle”

Ranked #64 of 87 Hotels in Cebu City
Makati, Philippines
“not worth the hassle”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2011

Photos in the website are not exactly whats in the property. I reserved 2 family rooms and were given rooms with 2 double beds in each room when we arrived. I work in the travel industry and I should know what a family room is. I asked to be moved as 7 adults and two kids would not possibly fit in those rooms. No family rooms available as per front desk so they gave us one room with 4 single beds and the standard with 2 doubles. The rates by the way did not change, as the standard room accordingly had "hot and cold" shower that was on and off the three days we were there. The kitchen folks were nice with a smile every morning when I have my coffee in the "garden". Which by the way was surrounded by dormitory type houses and the only indication that it was a "garden" was the big umbrella and plants surrounding it. The rest of the staff were non existent. Or, we were non existent to them. I just realized that the good reviews this place got were from the foreigners and the negative ones from the locals. If we didn't have two hyper active kids with us, I would have checked out and looked for another place to stay. I am not a chronic complainer. I knew that the hotel wasn't top class. I knew the walls were thin and you can hear people talking outside your room and that the floors had cracks. I should have trusted that knowledge. It wasn't worth all the hassle. There's a lot of accomodations around the area. Take your business elsewhere.

Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank memeni

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Korean first
Makati
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2011

From Bantayan, we went back to Cebu and stayed here for a day since our flight was early in the morning. Upon checking in, we didnt felt welcomed. i am used to travelling and i can personally say that they are not hospitable. I know Filipino are known for being hospitable. When we entered, no one greeted us with good morning or even said hello. The receptionist that time wasnt that accomodating as well. Our room was on the 3rd floor, and no one was there to help us. Good thing there was a woman, i am not sure if she's the owner but i think her clinic was there on the first floor. She told us - please leave your bags and there will be someone who will take the bags for you. So i didnt mind this at first.

When we went out for a late lunch, it was raining, we asked the guard if we can borrow an umbrella, he told us, its not allowed by the owner. So its okay, its their policy.

The most terrible experience i had was when we want to ask the guard for a cab for our dinner. It was still raining, he told us he cannot get us a cab, he only take calls. So we asked again the receptionist, this was a different set of guard and receptionist. So she called someone who can get us a cab. And then, the boy went back telling that the GUARD TOLD HIM THAT WE ARE NOT CHECKED IN SO HE WILL NOT GET US A CAB??? what the F. First of all, they treat people like this, so if they are not guests, they wouldnt get a cab for them?

Is this how they treat guests?

I will not recommend this hotel. But if you dont mind the people, then you can stay here since its convenient, but personally, there are other hotels/inns nearby.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
7 Thank Travelandtravel005

Travelers are raving about these Cebu City hotels

Brussels
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2011

Pacific Pensionne is a good place to stay if you are a budget traveller to spend some nights in Cebu downtown. I paid the normal very reasonable rate of only 850 pesos for a superior double room. I could sleep well in the clean bed.

Everyday I used the WIFI zone for free at the small resto which is also good enough to have a coffee and some water. For a good meal it is recommended to walk around in the area where you can find McDonalds, Jollibee, pizzeria, very cheap eateries on the way to Robinson's Shopping Mall (a 10 minutes walk only) with numerous restos. Just right on the corner you find a local bar to have a cold San Miguel Beer or a budget meal among the local people who are friendly. At the Osmena Boulevard the cabs offer service day and night. I paid 202 pesos for the cab from Mactan Airport to this hotel, but I paid attention to catch a metered taxi and did not accept the "nice price" offers (395 pesos) of fix rates special taxi services runned by an agency just at the exit doors of the arrival hall at the airport.

The staff of the Pacific Pensionne is friendly and helpful. They carried my baggage upstairs to room 201. There I found a clean bathroom with hot and cold water to take shower and use the provided towel, shampoo and soap. The aircon works also very good.

As the place is very economic I did not expect more than the basics to spend time there and have a good rest. So there is noisy traffic day and night on the floors in this hotel, it is not one of the calmest places. But the best management cannot educate guests to stop knocking at the doors of the rooms of their friends in the night and disturb other guests who are there to sleep.

The location is very central but the view out of the window of the room I had, was not worthy to look out there but okay for the price I paid. I could also use a tv in the room but I did not do it. And the hotel provides also phone in the room so that it is possible to arrange a wake up call. The table and the clothes storage look very old, but these installations are clean and useful. I could also make use of the 4 electricity plugs to charge cellphone, camera and laptop batteries and so on.

Last not least, the place is very save. The room door can only be opened with a badge and it is locked without badge in. The management took well care to create a kind of good ambience in this hotel so that the lobby and the environment makes the guests feeling welcome at this place.

I would recommend this place for budget travellers who want to stay some days in Cebu downtown in order to do some shopping and enjoy nightlife or take a rest before exploring other islands. I would recommend this place for simple single travellers and couples, not for families because it is not child-friendly. Before I came here I mailed from Europe and I received a confirmation within 24 hours.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Goddiejens
Cebu City, Philippines
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2011

It's near to everything. Carenderia, church, fastfoods, mall, the park. One ride to SM, Ayala and IT Park. But we were given a small room, and you can hear the staff talking to each other in the hallway in the dead of the night. Can't sleep well with the rectangular, foam pillows that they have.

I'd recommend it to anyone who's on a tight budget.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mikenmary0821
Manila/Bangkok
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2010

Cebu is a great place to visit and relax. Whenever I am on a budget I stay at Pacific Pensionne. The rooms and bathrooms are bright and clean (this is really important to me) and the beds are firm. In the few times that I've been to Pacific Pensionne I saw workers doing paint works and minor renovation. This is a good sign for me because it means that the hotel is always trying to improve itself. But this may be a bit annoying to those who sleep in. The service is okay, staff can be trained a bit better I think but for the price I am paying this is a good deal. The free wifi is good too.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank RossgoMNLBKK
Manila, Philippines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2010

I stayed at this hotel with my husband last week and I found the rooms to be quite basic but adequate (a/c, cable tv, shower inside room, etc) as we spent most of the time out and about around Cebu and we were only in our rooms to sleep and shower. I like that they have free wifi in the coffeeshop and I enjoyed "hanging out" and drinking my morning coffee in their small garden beside the cafe. The location is very convenient as I could buy supplies and food by walking and i could catch a cab very easily from there.

The staff were quite friendly and helpful (they gave us a lot of useful information about Cebu as it was our first time there). If you are expecting 5 star quality rooms here, you won't get it but I like the warm and nice family-type environment and for the price that you pay, it is well worth it!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank frangipaniii
Makati, Philippines
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2010

When I visit a place, I always make sure the hotel where I'll be staying has a good location. It' just a few minutes of walking to the Fuente Circle and is accessible to all kinds of PUJs. The food is just fine but mostly are instant. The people are friendly and helpful expecially the security guards and the drivers. I noticed some crumpled papers on top of a table on the 3rd Floor, we were out the whole day and when we came back at night, it was still there until we woke up the next day. The bathroom is rubbish, there's no hot shower (I booked a room w/ private hot and cold shower) and full of molds. I would have recommended Pacific Pensionne, but I always require a clean bathroom w/ a hot & cold shower. And they dont have it...

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo