“NO SAFE”
Review of Mayflower Pension

Mayflower Pension
Ranked #18 of 79 Cebu City B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 20, 2012

We have stayed at the Mayflower several times and have been happy with it all in all. This last time, however, we ran into a major problem: I was carrying a significant amount of money and the hotel only had a common safe AND would only guarantee up to 20,000 pesos. Since we were going where credit cards were not accepted and there were no ATM machines, we needed the cash, but did NOT want to go around Cebu with this kind of money in our pockets.

So we checked out and went to Cebu R Hotel: clean, friendly, and individual safety deposit boxes. Nice, clean rooms too at a good price.

So Mayflower gets 4 stars for everything else and 0 stars for no safe keeping = 3 stars,

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Don L

Reviewed June 7, 2012

My husband and I spent two whole weeks at this hotel (I was recovering from surgery, a sudden appendicitis that ruined our travel plans, thanks god for Chong Hua hospital), and we felt very comfortable and well taken care of. Staff is friendly, security good, restaurant is ok value, rooms are great. Bathroom was clean and there was always hot water. Everything was working, and the mattress was new. Wifi was always working, sometimes even quite fast.
And I think the location is great because it's a bit off the main (noisy) street.
Oh, and they have a million board and card games you can borrow, as well as books, magazines (National Geographics dating back to 1967, wow!), so it's a great place to spend a lazy evening (or twelve).
I'd definitely recommend.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Agnes C
Reviewed June 4, 2012

I stayed twice at the Mayflower during my trip. The first time with my partner and the second time on my own as I made my journey home. The staff are wonderful, the food was very nice & the rooms were really good too for such reasonable rates.

I had also stayed in a 'business class' hotel during my trip and have to say, even though the Mayflower is classed as budget hotel, I much preferred my time at the Mayflower then at the other place.

I will definitely stay again and would recommend it to others.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank andiemc2410
Reviewed May 14, 2012

Myself and four friends stayed here for two nights during Holy Week. The staff were all very friendly and helpful. Security is not an issue as there is always a guard on the front door.

The rooms are pretty good value, especially if you are sharing with one or two other people. The cafe downstairs is pretty cheap and the pancakes are rather good. They also have a well stocked library and a huge collection of board games, which is perfect for if you're killing time before a flight or ferry.

All the taxi drivers seemed to know where it was, which is brilliant, and it was only a 70 pesos cab ride to Ayala mall where there are quite a few decent restaurants.

I will definitely be staying here again when I next go to Cebu.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 12, 2012

This was a nice place. The room was big and everything worked as it should. Food downstairs was also good

• Stayed: February 2011
Reviewed July 20, 2011

Phil & I stayed just 1 night with My Sister & her Husband from Oregon.
The Hotel was so Lovely we would have enjoyed even just one more night, neat time.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank gypsygirl52
Reviewed May 29, 2011

1. Location: Easy car ride to attractions (historical sites, malls) of Cebu; not within walking distance though.

2. Staff: Wonderful service encountered. I traveled with a large group of teenagers, who can be troublesome, but the staff happily accommodated them. Before I went, they even called me to ask when I'd be arriving so that they could arrange the rooms in time for us, even though it was in the morning, before check-in time. Polite and friendly throughout, from reception to security to housekeeping.

3. Rooms: Basic and simple; yet, very clean. Aircon, hot water showers and tv (with a good number of channels) . . . which is a great value for the cheap prices paid for the rooms. Beds are simple, comfortable affairs.

4. Facilities: Attached cafe serves simple wonderful Filipino food. However, they are not equipped to handle large numbers at one go, so, expect some wait . . . but the taste makes up for it, if you have the time to wait. Free internet with good speed.

5. Others: Like the homeliness of the place and how they stress environmentalism slogans throughout. The decor is also very homely, without being excessive. Gives a nice welcoming feeling.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business