“Good location, a place to rest your head”
Review of Cebu Guesthouse

Cebu Guesthouse
Ranked #65 of 76 Cebu City B&B and Inns
Dayton, Ohio
“Good location, a place to rest your head”
Reviewed February 2, 2013

We stayed at the Cebu Guesthouse for 2 nights since all we wanted to see in Cebu was a temple and go to Bohol (a nearby island). It is like any other hostel in a city; the location was ideal because it was close to the Ayala mall and the temple we wanted to see. It was also located on one of the main streets in the city. Because of the negative reviews, we booked without high expectations of the place: we just needed a place to sleep for two nights. Unfortunately, the first night, the hallway outside our room smelled like urine and it eventually smelled like that in our room. The second night wasn't so bad. Our room had a/c although the settings on the front didn't work. To turn it off, we had to unplug the a/c. Overall it was a good economic place, but don't expect anything nice.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Charito C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 20, 2012

Despite all the negative reviews of this place, I had a positive experience on my single night stay. We arrived in the early morning flying from Singapore and struggled to find availability within our relatively tight budget around Fuente Osmena / Mango Avenue. The staff were helpful let us check into the room early, did us a reduced rate for the 3 bedroom room with air cond. The manager was friendly when I chatted to him and helped us to ordered a taxi to the bus station the following morning. Best of all - when I put my clothes into be laundered I left a 20 Ringgit note in my shorts which was returned to me - quite surprising as I would otherwise not have noticed and I'm sure it would have had reasonable value to whoever was doing the laundry. As far as I can tell it is a decent budget option in Cebu City proper (of which there are not many).

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
9 Thank deenairn
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed October 13, 2012

For location: Walking distance from Ayala mall.(around 5-10mis).
On Mango Avenue, night club are nearby.

Price is reasonable 350p for dorm. It is good for 1-night or solo traveller.

The services of the staff is not very good.

Room Tip: Room price is reasonable, near Mango Avenue night clubs and Ayala mall
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Ming Ho L
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Reviewed June 23, 2012

In Cebu for one night and stayed here on a friends recommendation. Not sure what the heck he was thinking, wish I'd read the reviews here first! Yes, it's dirt cheap, but I'd rather pay more and get a clean place. Room was tiny and backed on to the communal kitchen (lights on in the middle of the night and noisy). Bathrooms needed a good scrub and often toilet paper (not sure why because there often were lots of staff swanning around).
Only positives were supercheap, no bed bugs, near a shopping mall (needed some supplies).
I would NOT stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank claire s

Travelers are raving about these Cebu City hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 28, 2012

The dormitory at this place was dirty and it is used by the staff as they room. One of my shirts disapeared while I was there, at the time only two other guests were ocupying the dorm apart from me and they were out all day when it happened, hence I'm suspicious someone from the staff took it, when I reported it to the reception they nearly ignored me. I also found dead coakroaches in the corridor near the bathroom and after picking up my clothes from the laundry they smell so bad.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank underfish
Reviewed March 15, 2012

The price for the night was ok and the staff there was nice enough. Taxi ride to IT park and ferries were close but I had the most horrible night there. The entire place is unreasonably dirty. I watched bugs crawl up the wall as I took a shower (which had no hot water) and there were clumps of hair in the corner. We were in a dorm and we couldn't sleep because the whole night we heard rats scurrying across the room and mosquitoes buzzing around our heads. We decided to just sit outside for the entire night and not sleep and as we sat outside we watched cockroaches roam the grounds. Would not recommend this hotel at all as it would be better to just sit outside and not sleep all night.

• Stayed March 2012
3 Thank Bingo8409
Cesena, Italy
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 3,066 helpful votes
Reviewed March 10, 2012

I'm really sorry to write this reference 'cos the staff has been really kind and nice with us. we booked this hotel through booking.com and the references we read there were quite good.
the location is quite ok but the rest... the room is without bathroom (20 USD per night) but thats not a problem, the problem is that it's really small, old, dirty and stinky. there is no privacy 'cos the wall is just a piece of compensated wood and the "window" is right inside the kitchen, this means that we were woken up at 5 a.m. by people who were talking loudly... we r travellers on budget, we r backpackers and this wouldn't be a problem as well... what i find totally UNACCEPTABLE is that i woke up two times with cockroaches on my pillow, huge ones... i killed them and tried to keep on sleeping...a few minutes later i was woken up again by a lot of noises coming from the down side of the bed... i switched the light on and saw 2 big rats running away below the main door... at that point i couldn't fall asleep anymore cos every single noise made me think about them...i wanted to leave the hotel but it was 3.30 am. the following day, early in the morning I complained with the staff who didnt seem very surprised by this event and kindly they didn't make me pay that awful night. as i said, the staff was very nice but the hotel needs to be reviewed a little bit. it's unacceptable that a trustable site as booking.com doesn't select very well his guests. sorry but other travelers must know. born2travel.it

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple