“Dirty old cheap place”
Review of Cebu Guesthouse

Cebu Guesthouse
Ranked #68 of 82 Cebu City B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 23, 2012

In Cebu for one night and stayed here on a friends recommendation. Not sure what the heck he was thinking, wish I'd read the reviews here first! Yes, it's dirt cheap, but I'd rather pay more and get a clean place. Room was tiny and backed on to the communal kitchen (lights on in the middle of the night and noisy). Bathrooms needed a good scrub and often toilet paper (not sure why because there often were lots of staff swanning around).
Only positives were supercheap, no bed bugs, near a shopping mall (needed some supplies).
I would NOT stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank claire s

Reviewed March 28, 2012

The dormitory at this place was dirty and it is used by the staff as they room. One of my shirts disapeared while I was there, at the time only two other guests were ocupying the dorm apart from me and they were out all day when it happened, hence I'm suspicious someone from the staff took it, when I reported it to the reception they nearly ignored me. I also found dead coakroaches in the corridor near the bathroom and after picking up my clothes from the laundry they smell so bad.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank underfish
Reviewed March 15, 2012

The price for the night was ok and the staff there was nice enough. Taxi ride to IT park and ferries were close but I had the most horrible night there. The entire place is unreasonably dirty. I watched bugs crawl up the wall as I took a shower (which had no hot water) and there were clumps of hair in the corner. We were in a dorm and we couldn't sleep because the whole night we heard rats scurrying across the room and mosquitoes buzzing around our heads. We decided to just sit outside for the entire night and not sleep and as we sat outside we watched cockroaches roam the grounds. Would not recommend this hotel at all as it would be better to just sit outside and not sleep all night.

• Stayed: March 2012
3  Thank Bingo8409
Reviewed March 10, 2012

I'm really sorry to write this reference 'cos the staff has been really kind and nice with us. we booked this hotel through booking.com and the references we read there were quite good.
the location is quite ok but the rest... the room is without bathroom (20 USD per night) but thats not a problem, the problem is that it's really small, old, dirty and stinky. there is no privacy 'cos the wall is just a piece of compensated wood and the "window" is right inside the kitchen, this means that we were woken up at 5 a.m. by people who were talking loudly... we r travellers on budget, we r backpackers and this wouldn't be a problem as well... what i find totally UNACCEPTABLE is that i woke up two times with cockroaches on my pillow, huge ones... i killed them and tried to keep on sleeping...a few minutes later i was woken up again by a lot of noises coming from the down side of the bed... i switched the light on and saw 2 big rats running away below the main door... at that point i couldn't fall asleep anymore cos every single noise made me think about them...i wanted to leave the hotel but it was 3.30 am. the following day, early in the morning I complained with the staff who didnt seem very surprised by this event and kindly they didn't make me pay that awful night. as i said, the staff was very nice but the hotel needs to be reviewed a little bit. it's unacceptable that a trustable site as booking.com doesn't select very well his guests. sorry but other travelers must know. born2travel.it

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
9  Thank Mark B
Reviewed March 10, 2012

I booked a standard room with a single bed and separate bathroom, but the receptionist told me that only deluxe rooms have en-suit. I was put into a tiny room with a bunkbed, some odd wooden corner post and a fan. The only soxke was too high in the wall to charche ane divices. There was nothing else in the room. A common bathroom with cold water hardly pouring from shower. Seemed not that clean and modern. WiFi also wasn't working perfectly. In one place water was dropping from the cealling.
But a staff member gave me good directions how to get to the port.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Kate_M0sc0w
Reviewed January 25, 2012

One good thing about this place; i met some nice people and there's a nice small little sitting area outside.

Now to the bad part. I was there twice on my trip and iphones, money etc went missing from the rooms. I stayed in a dorm where one of my fellow dorm mates lost her phone which was charging durring the night - while she was in the room! Another couple lost things from their private room with the door locked still!! - which must mean someone with a key and easy access...!

I hate to point my fingers without evidence, but i cant help but suspect the staff when it happens this often in the same place.

There is an option to look minor valuables up with your own lock, which i am happy i did!

In other reviews, bathroom was discusting and no toiletpaper. Only stayed here because it is close to the harbour and i needed to catch an early boat.

• Stayed: January 2012
3  Thank Mod_det_uendelige_univers
Reviewed January 21, 2012

I've stayed in hostels all over asia and this has to be one of the crappiest places.
We went during Sinulog festival in Jan when they bumped up the rate from a mere p300+ to p2000 which was a rip-off.
location: pretty good
Staff: Friendly enough, but not too knowledgable about what to do and where to go
breakfast: very basic, no frills, staff helping themselves to the food. They close the breakfast early without warning.
wifi: only available in the courtyard areas.
Bathroom: dirty. shower had 2 settings: scolding hot or cold

The walls are so thin that you can hear everything inside and in the street. We didn't have a window as such, but some kind of opening near the ceiling that let in the light every day.
I will not be staying here again and will not be recommending it to anybody.

The best thing about the room was the TV, but didn't appreciate the dodgy bed sheets.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends