“Average and mediocre”
Review of NS Royal Pensione

NS Royal Pensione
Ranked #69 of 91 Hotels in Cebu City
Reviewed July 20, 2012

The lobby of this place is modest but presentable. It has a souvenir shop on the side and the cafe is at the back. The elevator is on the left side. The elevator is small, good for 8 persons as the sign says, and built by Otis.

Upon arriving at the third floor, the hallways are inadequately lit. There are lights but absolutely not well-lit, even during the day. The walls have patches of new paint over old with cracks obviously cemented and painted over. It already shows it's dated.

The room is small and the bathroom is smaller than most hotels I've stayed in before. The room is equipped with a late 90s air conditioning unit that still works well and can be cold in the middle of the night. Since it is a window-type ACU, the hum is something I am accustomed to and can sleep through. The TV is a disappointing 14-inch CRT TV with a good lineup of cable channels. The TV rack attached to the wall with decorative "awnings" which makes it height lower and I hit my head as I was getting a glass on the table beneath it.

The place is adjacent to school grounds. St. Theresa's of Cebu. You can get to hear playground sounds like swings and children playing on early weekday mornings.

The bathroom door shows paint chipping off near and around the hinges. The tiles have seen better days as some of the sides of the tiles are dark. The water is sourced from the ground or hard water. Soap and shampoo does not lather to expectations. The toilet itself has to be flushed several times for the business left behind to go down. The mirror has these strange round black spots. The hot water is only felt about 5 minutes are the hot water knob is turned.

The bed is averagely comfortable and lamps and lighting inside the room is conveniently adequate. There are enough sockets to plug in your mobile phone charger and laptop. The appearance of the closet does not look appealing. Chipped off paint is seen once more but not dirty. 4 ordinary plastic clothes hangers are inside. No drawers in it but has decks to store your belongings.

The room door uses no key card. It still uses the door knob and key to open it. Inside the room, there is a latch and a second lock you turn for more security. Smoking is not allowed inside the rooms as it can activate the fire alarm via the smoke detector in the rooms. However, since the room we stayed in is not far from the fire exit, another guest from some other room smoked at the fire exit and we can smell it inside the room.

Wi-Fi is available but not free. P50 per hour or P150 per day or P750 per week. I did not bother. I have my own Internet USB stick.

Parking is available at the front and at the basement. The place is conveniently located near restaurants, commercial establishments and entertainment centers. You don't even need to hail a cab to get there.

The staff is courteous. The free breakfast is available from 6-10 am and has very, very limited choices of three set menus. The coffee is brewed and free-flowing. Brown sugar is available and the creamer is non-dairy.

Pricing of the hotel is affordable.

Since the stay I had here was for business, I did not stay the the room much of the day. However, if you are vacationing or on some alone time, there are better choices elsewhere.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for NS Royal Pensione

Reviewed July 17, 2012

I stayed in this hotel oringunally it was going to be for 7 weeks, but I only atayed 2 weeks .
As I was treated at times like a criminal by staff from the restrurant and also by a receptionist.

They were bad mannered ignorent and aloof .
After 3 occasions ,and the last occasion i had all on not to explode in anger , i cheacked out.

I payed for all my stay up front and they would not give me a refund for the time i did not stay there even though it was not my fault
. In 20 visits to Cebu this is by far the worst hotel i have ever stayed in and i definately would not recomend it to anyone

Room Tip: Nothing good to say
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank tunest16
Reviewed May 14, 2012

The room was very small. Most of the walls were painted white but they really needed a new coating; looked like dirty hand prints everywhere. The bed had a 6 inch foam mattress that was very actually comfortable. The handles on the shower to control the hot and cold water were worn out. You had to hold them sideways to control the water temp. Breakfast was rice, slice of lunch meat and an egg. They had a big percolator full of coffee you could drink all you wanted. Parking is tight but they made room for us. The window A/C was noisy but it helped drown out the traffic outside. Close to Cebu Doctors and Chung Hua Hospitals.

Room Tip: Our room was next to the road, very noisy. Try to get a back room if you want it quiet.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed February 26, 2011

Spent one night here before we left Cebu for home. Hotel dated, but the room was clean tidy and comfortable. The room we had was nearer the top of the building and had a balcony with a nice table and chair set - with views over toward Mango Ave & Robinsons Mall area. The Bathroom was large and modern. Found getting to the room interesting...up elevator then down a hallway, down stairs then along a corridor. Seemed odd looking the lay out, but i cannot complain about the service. Pleasant security and front room staff. We both felt safe staying there. Breakfast was under whelming.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank the2ndhasapulse
Reviewed January 15, 2011

had four bed bug bites and management didt even offered to transfer room or replace mattress. Didnt even apologised.

Server in breakfast area was unatttentive. I askend for spoon and fork several times and still forgot. I got it myself from the vacant table beside us. I asked for fruit juice which is complimentary but after I finished my breakfast it wasnt served. The table where we ate had still bits and pieces of bread and sugar when we sat there. Server didnt bothered.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gala_sa_Pinas
Reviewed January 3, 2011

Love the beef tapa+fried egg+rice as free breakfast for two. Funny how we were the only Filipino couple when we had our breakfast, with 4 other couples in the kitchenette on New Year's morning.

The reception area has nice decor; they have elevator, so you don't have to go and up down the stairs; room is neat and doesn't smell bad (i.e. some of the pension houses we've been to have bed sheets that smell of chlorine heavily disinfected, room smells like an old man).

I just have one complaint though. They should have somebody to accompany guests upon check in to their room. When we got to our room, we can't turn on the A/C, the hot/cold shower just doesn't work right. We had to wait for 15 mins for the maintenance person to come to our room.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mikenmary0821
Reviewed December 27, 2010

The NS Royale Pension is located on Juana Osmena Street in uptown Cebu. It’s a good area – very close to the bars, restaurants and malls – with easy access to taxis and jeepneys. It is a little far from the sights but then you’d have to stay in downtown Cebu to be close to the sights, and I wouldn’t fancy staying in downtown Cebu.
Our room looked old - fading paint on the walls, slightly worn looking linen etc. – but it was clean and comfortable. The bathroom was small but clean. There was no refrigerator in the room and I don’t know if they offer room service, but there is a restaurant in the hotel. You can access wi-fi in the room at PhP50 per hour or PhP150 per day.
The room rate included a complimentary breakfast – basically toast, eggs, juice and coffee. It was an okay breakfast.
Overall, a basic hotel in a central location which is a good choice for those on a budget.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple