“Good enough French food....”

Bon Appetit! La Boutique
Ranked #6 of 507 Restaurants in Davao City
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: - Authentic, hearty and tasty French cuisine in a cosy and elegant ambience. - Service "a la carte" offering typical French Bistro specialities (Soupe a l'Oignon, Escargots de Bourgogne au beurre persille, Fricassee de Poulet, Confit de Canard Pommes Sarladaises, Cassoulet de Castelnaudary, Noisette d'Agneau a la Creme d'Ail, Entrecote d'Angus Grillee Sauce au Poivre, Steak Tartare d'Angus au couteau, Pomme au Four Creme Anglaise, Tarte aux Pommes, Tarte Fine et Glace Vanille, Pot de creme au Chocolat, Fondant au Chocolat Creme Anglaise...). - Monthly special menu (Appetizer, Pasta, Main Dish, Dessert). - Fine selection of French wines from different appellations (Bordeaux, Bourgogne, Beaujolais, Loire, Cahors, Languedoc...). - Varnished wood and rattan, purple wallpaper decorated with original prints of a French painter engraver (the owner's grandfather). - Jazz music and classic French songs. - French Movie Night sessions (with subtitles in English) every other Tuesday. - Service in the garden at night. - Parking. Closed on Sunday.
Manila, Philippines
“Good enough French food....”
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Bon Appetit just opened their (2nd?) branch over at the top level of the Peak at Gaisano. I invited a friend who is soon leaving metro Davao and decided to bring her to this restaurant. It was a very sleepy lunch hour and we were the only patrons the whole time (I actually cased this joint the night before and two very young girls were handing out flyers for Bon Appetit to all passing guests).
Perhaps its the novelty of having a French restaurant within the city which draws guests to this restaurant. I commend the owners for taking a big risk in introducing fine cuisine to a city whose growth has been exponential the past few years.
The lady who waited on us suggested their bestseller, Salad Nicoise (which my friend ordered) while I had the greens with blue cheese and walnuts. I wish the blue cheese were crumbled rather than diced and if only they were of the properly aged variety. It would have made a difference. My dining companion was content with the salad and did not order any entree. i on the other hand got the gindara with beurre blanc. Again, it could have been a better cut of fish as mine came with pesky bones I had to carefully look for and set aside lest it gets accidentally lodged down my throat. Also, the beurre blanc lacked the saltiness of good butter (more on the butter later). Good thing the potato au gratin which was served as a side dish was passable enough to make me full for the rest of the day. For dessert, we both had the apple tart with vanilla ice cream. This showed potential only if the tart wasn't frozen then re-heated in an oven.
I should try other items on their menu but I should be careful in selecting my next choice for me to appreciate what other specialities Bon Appetit can offer.

ps - they serve free appetizers! We were given a basket of whole wheat toast bread and olive tapenade.
pps - I asked for butter for the warm bread but was given margarine. Too bad.

To get to the Peak at Gaisano, you have two options. Option #1 - drive up all the way to the Peak via the mall's parking garage. Option #2 - go up escalators to the 4th floor and follow the sign.

3 Thank Aveeno1991
Yves M, Propriétaire at Bon Appetit! La Boutique, responded to this review, May 26, 2013
We are sorry to point out two misinformations in that review which could damage unfairly the reputation of our restaurant:
- About serving margarine instead of butter: We only serve butter to our clients (Anchor - Pure New Zealand Butter).
- About apple tart taken frozen: Our apple tarts are taken chilled and of course not frozen from the chiller, then warmed in the oven as it should be.

If it takes years of hard and serious work to build a good reputation, it takes also a minute to damage it by speading false informations.

• Korean first
Winnipeg, Canada
“A No Compromise French Restaurant”
Reviewed May 15, 2013

This is easily my favourite restaurant in Davao.

My wife and I have dined there numerous times and it is our go-to place for birthdays and anniversaries. The owners are wonderful and go out of their way to make us feel welcome, stopping by our table every time to chat for a while (and graciously allowing us to attempt to use what little French we absorbed from the Canadian school system).

The food quality is fantastic and the flavours are entirely French.When you step inside Bon Appetit it is like being in France for the next hour and a half.

As a side note, I almost cringed when I read the previous review suggesting that they change the music... please don't! There are many restaurants in Davao City but none have the ambience of Bon Appetit - La Boutique.

Whenever you go to a specialty restaurant outside of its country of origin you expect there to be certain compromises. The ingredients and spices are different, the local tastes are different, the atmosphere just won't feel the same... That is what makes Bon Appetit so remarkable. The owners have managed to createa little piece of France in the heart of Davao City.

Davao City, Philippines
“needs a good music”
Reviewed May 15, 2013

i was surprised with this hole in a wall resto in plaza del carmen called Bon Appetite La boutique. A french restaurant in the city. The food was great though they have limited choices in tha Mains. I also loving the look of the bistro. The owners and the servers are very friendly and very accommodating. One thing i noticed is the music inside. i guess they should have a wide range of playlist, we actually would want to stay longer for some wine but the music makes us feel sleepy, Music plays an important role in dining also. It sets the mood and the ambiance. I suggest that during dinner time well you can play some jazz or classic but on late night for some chill talks maybe you can have another set of music. Music to enjoy while drinking, I would appreciate if on my next visit i get to notice some changes. it will be a complete dinig experience.

Rennes, France
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The closest to France you can get here in the Philippines!”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Being french myself, I was brought to "Bon Appetit" by surprise as a gift for my birthday. I was curious whether my expectations would be met. It was much more than expected. I was so surprised by the quality of the food, service and this perfect representation of what makes french famous around the World. As well as the authentic cooking, the atmosphere made me feel at home. Snails, rabbit, couscous, salade nicoise, cheese and saucisson and the home made bread were just perfect match for the champagne (try Kir!) and the Rose wine that we ordered. Shame I was just there for a weekend and could not have time to see the bistro at G-Mall. Next time for sure!

1 Thank julienco
Winnipeg, Canada
“Our Favourite Place in Davao”
Reviewed May 9, 2013

C'est Magnifique!

My husband and I love coming here for special occasions or even just for fun. Such authentic French flavour is hard to come by in Davao, but this place has it nailed! They have a wonderful range of dishes that you can enjoy if you are on a budget or if you feel like indulging. And the desserts are divine!

We always enjoy chatting with the owner when he is around. We try en Français a bit but we are limited to our Canadian high school French. He bakes his own baguettes which are wonderful!

My personal favourites are: Quiche Épinard, Salade Niçoise, Canard sauce au Miel, Fondant au Chocolat et le Saint-Jacques de Siran Bordeaux. Although we often order of the two-week special menu. Everything is always fantastic!

We took my mom and step-dad here while they were visiting us from Canada. My mom loves quiche and créme brulée. She makes them herself and is a bit of a connoisseur. Still, she said the ones she had at Bon Appétit were the best she's ever had!

I highly recommend this place to everyone! We've brought and sent many friends here and they all love it!