“The highest peak in the Philippines”
Review of Mount Apo

Mount Apo
Ranked #13 of 74 things to do in Davao City
More attraction details
Owner description: This is the highest mountain in the Philippines.
Reviewed December 15, 2013 via mobile

This is the highest peak in the Philippines. This is a dormant volcano that hasn't erupted for a century. If you do not have what it takes to climb this mountain, you can just stay at its foot. There are resorts that offer accommodation and fun activites while you experience this marvelous beauty of nature.

4  Thank Debzie M

Reviewed July 29, 2013

If your not physically able for extreme adventure to Mt. Apo, i suggest you may visit the foot of Mt. Apo in Mt. Apo Highlands Resort.. They offer two types of accommodations, one in the lake mirror, and the newer one in a hilly area. Also, they have tie-ups with other resorts there like the Camp Sabros.. Dont miss the thrill going to the Virgin Falls..

7  Thank Dibyne
Reviewed June 20, 2013

I climbed Apo in December and the weather was just not in our favor. It rained all the time and the path was just so slippery and dangerous. When we reached the top, it was so windy and foggy. The wind was so strong that I could hardly stand and it was extremely dangerous to climb up to the peak, at some point, I felt like I was gonna be blown off the cliff. Well, but WHO CARES!!!! I reached the highest peak of the Philippines!!!!

So, the best time to climb Apo is March, April and May. Other than that, it's up to your luck!
You'll need a license to climb Apo because it's the national park. If you have friends in Davao, get in touch with them, ask them if they know anyone that can guide and you won't have to pay the license fee. Do so because the population of mountaineers in Davao is surprisingly big and one can easily have couple friends who are professional mountaineers. Otherwise, register at any tourism agencies, they'll provide you everything: a guide, food, porters (if it's a big group), tent, license, environment fee, vehicles that pick you up and take you to the place where you start climbing ... but you'll need to bring your own sleeping bag though, at the price of 4000 PhP/person.

I used to live in Davao for almost a year so I have some friends who are mountaineers there. So if you trust me enough, contact me, I will give you the contact number of my mountaineer friends there. They are professionals and of course reliable but will charge you as much as the agencies do. Last time I climbed Apo, my guide was a mountaineer who was 25 and has been climbing Apo since he was 15. My email: nhuphuong0606@yahoo.com

Practice and get fit before you climb Apo. It's tough! Of course climbing is always tough but this mountain is also a tropical forest. Even if you climb up from the easiest route which is from Kindapawan City, you'll have to cross the river 6 times on the way up and of course another 6 times on the way down and trust me, there are no proper bridges. The path is almost covered with plants and flowers so it's extremely easy to get lost if you don't have a guide who knows the path well. Be prepared for very slippery rock climbing! Sometimes, I did not see how it was possible to continue climbing, there was no place that I could hold on to, the only option was to jump and grab!

I am a very inexperienced mountaineer so there's no surprise that it was hard for me. But my guide has been climbing Apo more than 30 times during his 15 years of being a mountaineer and his knee was busted on the last day and he was as exhausted as the rest of us. Maybe it was because of the time we chose to climb was just stupid: December! the rain made us exhausted.

The water source is available along the trail so don't worry so much about bringing a lot of water.

We did spend a night next to lake Venado. Remember: DO NOT SWIM HERE! Many people died while swimming in this lake and their bodies are still nowhere to be found until now. So, do not take any chance! The lake looks extremely beautiful and silent but there's really something creepy about it. Watch your steps when you walk around the lake, the ground is very wet and super soft!

However, it is rewarding to take a hot springs bath at the resort after the climb. I am not sure about other routes but if you take Kindapawan, there's a resort at where you start climbing and they have hot springs there.

17  Thank Nhu_Phuong
Reviewed May 31, 2013

My kid told me if Mt. Apo liked you then he will show his apex to you but if not then better luck next time. Apo must have liked us because we were able to wonder on his majestic view for three days of stay in Davao. The last day was rainy and so we thought we will not have a glimpse of Mt. Apo before our departure. Alas! we were wrong, the view of Mt. Apo is more awesome after the heavy downpour before all the clouds surrounding Mt. Apo have vanished. Thanks for this great experience of a lifetime to see the highest mountain in the Philippines with its climate and nice people residing here.

4  Thank Resty2010
Reviewed May 12, 2013

You need to be reasonably fit and steady on your feet but it was a great adventure for us. Me and my wife are novice trekkers but we managed the climb and descent. Highly recommended if you have the time and ability. We did the climb and descent in three days with two nights spent on the mountain camping. The end of your route took us to Lake Agko hot springs which was an absolute delight after the days on the mountain,

3  Thank simhkpang